Author Topic: My XBR project  (Read 6889 times)

mthee

Re: My XBR project
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2022, 01:47:23 PM »
I couldn't get to sleep last night thinking of all the detail jobs to do......
Spoken like a kid at Christmas! Ian, I think you might get hooked on all this malarkey (but please don't  touch the Norton)
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

iansoady

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2022, 04:00:08 PM »
I've rebuilt / restored loads of British bikes (including the Norton) but almost always back to more-or-less standard. This is my first try at turning a sow's ear into - well, maybe not a silk purse.

I think I may start looking for alternative side panels although the fallback will be just an infill panel. I've tried with a bit of card. I could probably build up the infill so that it meets the top of the side panel. Plenty of time to think however.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2022, 07:59:08 AM »
I've just had a thought. Some years ago I worked with a young man who was constantly running his hand over his tongue and we could never figure out whether he was licking his hand or feeling his tongue. You are making such a nice job of marrying different parts together that I wouldn't be surprised if at some point someone asks you why you put an XBR motor into a CX frame!

Really like what you are coming up with so the sleepless nights are paying off.

Other Ian

mthee

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2022, 12:01:35 PM »
Did you try the tank on the original front mounts with longer bobbins, like JOOLZ? Might bring you more level to the side panels.

iansoady

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
Yes, but then it wanted to be in the same place as the seat. I've thought of a way to make and secure infill panels (which will also provide the front side panel mountings) and if they're the same red as the tank and side panels maybe won't look too bad.

Another possibility is to try to find different side panels. The Norton Commando I had for 20 great years had nice triangular ones but I'm not sure about the angles.

Just dropped the tank off this morning at Redditch Shotblasters to be blasted clean. I asked them to be gentle..... £25 but better than hours of mucky work.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2022, 04:30:21 PM »
I'm looking for something to pack up the rear of the tank by about 15-20mm - ideally some sort of rigid hard polyurethane or similar that I can carve up. Anybody know where I can get some?

Or I could use a bit of wood.......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

JOOLZ

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2022, 08:06:50 PM »
Did you try the tank on the original front mounts with longer bobbins, like JOOLZ? Might bring you more level to the side panels.
Im not sure it would give any more clearance to the standard side panels as you will be just moving the tank back, although raising the rear of the tank may give better clearance to the standard panels, the rear of my tank is raised by about 10mm

mthee

« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2022, 10:39:41 PM »
That's a big thumbs up for you, Ian. Has my taxi arrived  yet?  ;D

themoudie

« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2022, 11:03:59 PM »
Aye Ian,
I'm looking for something to pack up the rear of the tank by about 15-20mm - ideally some sort of rigid hard polyurethane or similar that I can carve up. Anybody know where I can get some?

Screwfix.

Screwfix_memory-foam-support-kneeling-mat-black

This foam is ideal for any closed foam padding support that you desire. Glued with Evo-Stick. Can then be carved with either a hot wire, junior hacksaw blade, or similar. Sanded with 'production paper', choose your own grit.

I use it on top of a steel 'U' section, welded to the frame top tube to pad the fuel tank on the Ducati. I also glued three mats together, to form the seat foam on the Ducati, that was then covered with a peice if thin chip foam and finally, with some finishing foam to take the sharp edges off the seat outline once covered. At first it feels like a plank, but it is far more supportive than the squishy chip foam used on many seat remodelling/recovering jobs. The edges of the seat pan no longer cut into the back of my thighs and is far more comfortable than either the SRX mono or Honda Bros seats after a 100 mile jaunt.

There is also a similar product available from Toolstation, but this is of inferior size, when compared with the Screwfix offering and only a £1 difference in the price.

Toolstation_kneeling-mat

Happy carving and the health to give this beastie a canter.

Bill

iansoady

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2022, 10:32:01 AM »
That looks good Bill but may not be rigid enough for what I want. I'll pop round and have a look.

Just about to go & collect the blasted(!) tank - wish me luck!

Actually come to think of it I may have some similar material in my junk pile - a back "protector" I removed from a jacket some years ago.......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »
Got the tank back and it's in much better condition than I might have feared, with a few small dents but no rust damage. I've given it a quick coat of primer to keep it OK.

Other commitments call this afternoon....
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2022, 09:32:03 PM »
Evening Ian. Certainly NOT trying to tell you how to suck eggs here but primer is porous so I would advise popping  the tank in a sealed up bin liner or something similar each time you’ve finished working on the bike until your ready for paint.
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
Yes, take the point Michael but hopefully will be doing something to it most days. My garage is reasonably dry so hopefully will be OK.

I'll be cutting out the petrol tap boss this morning & taking the tank for welding. Wish me luck.

I think I've got a partial solution for the misalignment of tank base / side panels but have yet to try it out.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #88 on: November 23, 2022, 12:12:28 PM »
Used the scary angle grinder and dremel to cut out the petrol tap boss (which was tricky as for some reason the tank was double skinned there) and a hole for its new position. I did get a bit overenthuiastic with the angle grinder but should be easy enough to patch. It's thankfully fairly rust free inside and no loose bits so think I will just go with it.

Tank delivered to welder and hope it goes well.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2022, 11:26:58 AM »
Now had the tank welded up - £30 seemed a reasonable price, and a good solid job. I'll swill a couple of pints of petrol around just to check for leaks.

I've also picked up a pair of side panels cheap on ebay so will revise my earlier plan. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115615789458

I'll extend the panels up to tuck behind the tank to fill that annoying gap, although still need a plan for the front mounting.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....