Author Topic: Not so much a project....more a few alterations  (Read 791 times)

Moto63

Re: Not so much a project....more a few alterations
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2023, 04:30:21 PM »
Looking good Ian. Having seen a few of your bikes over the years I wouldn’t have expected anything but top quality work. 😉👍
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2023, 07:37:38 PM »
Aye Ian,

Thank you for the PM. Neat, but ....... no sure?

The SRX is looking very clean and tidy. Any chance of some side on views of the whole machine, please?

A word of warning, having fitted the same headlamp unit to the Duke 450 and wired the driving light ring to show white as yours is, it failed after less than 200 miles from fitting! However, the headlamp dip beam certainly gets attention when used as a running light. Main beam takes a bit of getting used to, as it doesn't appear to illuminate objects the same as an H4 bulb. If the objects have no reflective qualities, then it all appears to be an amorphous mass, consequently your depth of vision is reduced. The dip beam has a really sharp cut-off, which is good for not dazzling oncoming traffic and I had to raise the headlamp a touch, so as to maximise the beam penetration, but remain within the (MoT) limits.

I suspect as a by product of my not understanding electrickery and having the brake light wired to the front brake via a compression switch, the two side LED light up when braking!

Hope it generates some discussion at Stafford.

Out for a quick canter on the Mono this afternoon and still finding the wide profile tyres not as easy to ride through the corners as Sally twin shock's narrow profiles. Are you still finding the Dunlop radials are a good choice?

Good health, Bill

Ian

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2023, 08:38:02 PM »
Michael, thank you for your comments, I do appreciate them 😊.
Bill, thanks also for your comments and I am very aware that it was a cheap item so I'm not really expecting a lot from it but I'll use it till it fails or otherwise 😉. However I have done nearly 500 miles since fitting so fingers crossed for now 🤞

I will take a couple of photos side on as soon as I get chance. Thank you for the interest. It was a big learning curve and a much bigger job than I ever envisaged. Very little of the original is left at the front but I have done the job so I can retro fit if required.

As for the twin to single carb modification, I really need to find out more as my fuelling knowledge is  probably not the most deep or thorough. I do like the compactness of the manifold from MikuniOz, but I will need a spare airbox to experiment I feel.
Thanks for everyone's feedback on this mini-turned-maxi project. I'm pleased with the result as I now look forward to going for a reasonably long canter without the aches and pains associated with clip ones.
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2023, 08:41:14 PM »
I too am using the self same headlamp on #10, my findings are much the same as Bill's. although my white 'side light' ring is still working ok. a lot of wiring changes to incorporate LED indicators ... the plus side being lots more room behind the headlamp assembly.
one thing i noticed this weekend ... the headlamp had turned about 20deg. there is now 2 foam wedges installed to (hopefully)prevent a repeat. stafford will be a good test, although i will arrive in daylight, the return home will be mainly by LED light.

Ian

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2023, 09:37:57 PM »
PS Bill, I'm using Bridgestone S22 radials. I have just replaced the front very recently. I don't think I have reached their limit not that I would want to, but there are no chicken strips on the part worn rear!

themoudie

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2023, 09:58:11 PM »
Aye Ian,
I don't think I have reached their limit not that I would want to, but there are no chicken strips on the part worn rear!
Hooligan!  ;D I'm just wondering if the more upright bars, with their extra width, make it easier to tip the machine through the corners than the narrower clip-on style?

The Bros will be requiring a new set of boots soon, so may fit a pair of those Dunlops to see if Kat gains some confidence over the Avon RoadRider MKII, but corner speed is not her forte, so may end up with the known quantity of the Avons.

Look forward to the side views, when you get the chance.

SteveL used a 40mm carb lifted straight from a Suzuki DR600 or DR650 on his two into one manifold, without any problems, I believe. See what he has to say at Stafford.

Good health and a good show, Bill

Ian

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2023, 05:11:44 PM »
Bill, as promised a couple of profile photos. Hope they are what you were looking for? Just got back after a 50 mile canter on the bike 😄

Moto63

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2023, 05:51:52 PM »
Absolutely corking looking mosheen Ian. 👍👍

themoudie

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2023, 10:03:10 PM »
Aye Ian,

Thank you for posting the two images, they are just what I was looking for. Certainly a smart looking bit of kit.

Safe journey up to Stafford, good health, Bill

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2023, 10:22:40 AM »
SteveL used a 40mm carb lifted straight from a Suzuki DR600 or DR650 on his two into one manifold, without any problems, I believe. See what he has to say at Stafford.

actually a 40mm Dellorto on a hand made manifold ... and yes, a lot of 'niggles' and 'bodges' to get it working well, which it did for 5 years before i came across a pair of 33mm dellorto's for a tenner on fleabay ....