Author Topic: My XBR project  (Read 7078 times)

JOOLZ

Re: My XBR project
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2023, 07:12:57 PM »
Spot on, love the look of the bike

iansoady

« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2023, 10:06:39 AM »
Thanks both, I think I've pretty much achieved what I set out to do. I'll tax it in March and hope it's as much fun to ride as it has been to build.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

xbally

« Reply #212 on: April 30, 2023, 09:00:28 AM »
Have you got the bike on the road yet Ian? Weather has been extremely poor round here so I won't be surprised if the answer is in the negative!
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

iansoady

« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2023, 09:05:20 AM »
Taxed Martin but on the odd fair days we've had have had other commitments, but hope springs eternal.

I know, you're just waiting for me to decide I don't like it so you can make me an offer I can't refuse......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

xbally

« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2023, 11:28:31 AM »
Taxed Martin but on the odd fair days we've had have had other commitments, but hope springs eternal.

I know, you're just waiting for me to decide I don't like it so you can make me an offer I can't refuse......

Hmmmmmmmmmm....!!!!!
It wasn't an entirely conscious thought but.........

themoudie

« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »
Go on Martin, the ES2 is Ian's first love!  ;)

Good health to you both, Bill

xbally

« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2023, 11:46:52 AM »
Go on Martin, the ES2 is Ian's first love!  ;)

Good health to you both, Bill

My wife won't like it.....

iansoady

« Reply #217 on: September 04, 2023, 10:37:16 AM »
Well, after weeks of trying and failing to get the XBR running properly I have eventually tracked down the problem to..... the CDI unit. A replacement from a Dutch company has done the trick after I spent fruitless hours trying to get it to work as it arrived with no instructions and wrongly wired. I've left a suitable review on trustpilot.

I also bought a cheap (£10 or so!) CDI and coil from ebay and it seems to work just as well although haven't road tested it. I will try probably later in the week.

I have to say that the bike rides very well - the raised bars and slightly lowered footrests make it comfortable, handling is excellent, brakes good and of course it looks so much better (to my eyes) with the CX tank. It doies need a bit of tweaking - stumbles slightly off idle and is reluctant to rev over 6,000rpm but that's not my style anyway.

A reminder:

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2023, 01:34:34 PM »
Aye Ian, pleased to read that the diagnostics are not failing you.

As for the "Dutch company....."? That wouldn't happen to be HPI from Belgium?

I hope that you can get the carb sorted, sounds as though coming off the pilot jet and onto the slide is the problem with the bottom end stumble, whilst the top end could be that Gold Star "silencer" having too small a diameter hole in the internal core. An Armours one, of similar design, throttled the mid to top end of the Ducati for that very reason.

Treat it like the Norton ES2 and let it breath!  ;)

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2023, 02:11:58 PM »
Thanks Bill.

It has a CV carb which I'm less familiar with - if it was an Amal I would be thinking slide cutaway but it doesn't have one. TBH it's not that bad - just a slight miss.

The hole down the middle of the Goldie "silencer" is about 1.3/14" (45mm) all the way through which should be enough. It certainly has a healthy crack - I did have a mute fitted which did the opposite of what I wanted which was removing the low frequencies but keeping the high ones. It even has a version of the Gold Star "twitter" on overrun.....
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #220 on: September 05, 2023, 08:56:40 AM »
Oh, by the way, the Dutch company was Carmo. They list their product as "plug and play". Hardly......

I wouldn't be surprised if it was merely a repackaged cheap Chinese item.

https://uk.carmo-electronics.com/webshop/improved-cdi-tci-ecu-replacers-units/cari-cdi02a-xbr500
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

« Reply #221 on: September 05, 2023, 09:29:29 AM »
Morning Ian,

MMMmmm! CV carbs. I think that the SRX600 50:50 job is quite enough of a mystery for me, I have not had to deal with CV alone set-ups, so they really are a dark art.

Maybe try one of those Chinese Mikuni round slides to see if it tidies things up, although I haven't gone searching for alternative carb set-ups. You could always retain the OME carb, just in case.

Blazing sun at present, so finish creosoteing and then a canter.  ;)

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #222 on: September 05, 2023, 10:35:48 AM »
TBH it's running well enough for now and I have to say I've had enough (for the present) of delving into it. Funnily enough I've just bought a Chinese Mikuni copy for the Tri-Greeves but feel it's too small a bore although it is nominally the same as the monobloc it should have. I do have one of these but it's in pretty terrible condition and would cost a fair bit to fix. I may but a slightly larger Chinese carb as well. At £20 or so even if they don't work at all they won't bankrupt me.

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the cheap CDI unit I bought and will probably try it out later in the week as it's a 2 minute job to swap over.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #223 on: September 05, 2023, 03:21:59 PM »
Hi Ian

Don't read this the wrong way because it is a compliment; having seen your latest photo of the XBR I am reminded of my own lack of talent in special building! That is a lovely bike and I am sure you will solve the running issues soon, after all XBRs are simple bikes and you have mucho skill.

I have looked hard at the Inazuma and am in danger of starting to cut it about to achieve a look I have in mind, but I know if I do it will turn into a dog's dinner and ruin a perfectly good bike. Good for someone else that is. I may run it for a short while longer, but I really think I should sell it before I ruin it.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #224 on: September 05, 2023, 04:55:28 PM »

Don't read this the wrong way i think I should sell it before I ruin it.

Ian
What is it the SAS say “he who dares wins”
Well admittedly you’re not the SAS🗡 (or least I don’t think you are 🤔) but I say get that angle grinder working overtime and make the bike you want 😉🛠
Name withheld... just in case you ARE the SAS