Author Topic: My XBR project  (Read 6948 times)

iansoady

Re: My XBR project
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2022, 10:00:10 AM »
Thanks Tommy, hope it doesn't all go terribly wrong.....
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2022, 06:50:47 PM »
I wish I'd have known about all this when I had my XBR500 as the bars were one of the main reasons I sold it. The ones you've fitted do indeed look like they were factory fitted and that's a lovely paint job by the way.

Having a project to do is just the best feeling in the world. If it all gets too much there's always the option of a quick squirt round on that lovely Norton to clear your head I suppose.

Isn't life great when simple pleasures are enough!

Ian

SteveC#222

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2022, 10:04:36 PM »
Result Ian... fingers crossed the nylon lug holds out with the super glue🤞. Certainly looks good 👍

The problem with superglue is it doesn't like shearing forces. There is a new glue out that you put on like a superglue but then 'set' with a UV light which then sets very permenantly.

https://diy.bostik.com/en-UK/products/repair-assembly/fix-flash
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

SteveC#222

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2022, 10:07:23 PM »
I wish I'd have known about all this when I had my XBR500 as the bars were one of the main reasons I sold it. The ones you've fitted do indeed look like they were factory fitted and that's a lovely paint job by the way.

Ian

You can also use CBX550 bars ( though they're probably getting scarce now).
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Rossco500

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2022, 11:25:19 PM »
Ian - I am able to retain the original choke cable when using the CBX550 bars. As I recall the cable is relocated outside the fork tube rather than between them. You do need to tweak it a bit to ensure it doesn't stretch on full lock. This however is when using the original tank. Might be different with a CX tank. One other thing is there is a bit of weight in the original bars (the combination of the end weights and the weight within the bar if that makes sense) to soak up some of the vibes. I suppose some notice the vibes more than others though.

Regards

Tony

iansoady

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2022, 10:04:24 AM »
The VF400 bars seem fairly available - there were a few to choose from on ebay but for some reason most seemed to be left side only. They also seem to be just as heavy - I think they're steel while the originals are alloy but haven't checked it out - will look for these weights. Vibration? Surely less than the Norton with that balancer shaft.

I've got the materials from Venhill to make the new cable as I wanted to keep the same routing - although the old cable is a thing of wonder and complexity I can simplify it. Oddly there's no real adjustment on it so I may put a mid point adjuster just in case.

If the superglue fails it's not the end of the world as I can always reglue - maybe with epoxy - although that clever UV stuff looks handy.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »
Moving swiftly on, although none of this is moving the actual project forward - just sorting out details while I wait for the CX tank which is on its way....

Made a new choke cable. I really struggled getting the plunger installed so decided to remake it and do what I should have done in the first place - include an inline adjuster. It seems weird to me that there's no adjustment facility for the standard cable. Note in this photo one ferrule isn't properly seated...

This is the pattern Goldie silencer. I started the bike up this morning and it's quite loud but nowhere near the one that came with the bike. Quite a nice deep sound. There are mutes available for the end if I decide I need to quiet it down a bit. If fitted onto the 45mm exhaust very nicely.

Pattern Lucas indicators - not original but I hated the tiny LED things the bike came with. Indicators and silencer came from the Classic Bike Shop a couple of miles away from me in Redditch https://www.classicbikeshop.co.uk/. They seem excellent quality and the indicators are better made than original Lucas ones. It's very much like I remember going to Vale Onslows in the 1970s but without the queues and surly counter staff.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 12:20:56 PM by iansoady »
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »
That is coming along nicely by the look of things. Should be a nice mixture of old school and 80s chic.

Keep it up.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2022, 12:21:23 PM »
Is that chic or cheek?
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2022, 05:21:40 PM »
Is that chic or cheek?

I had a lot of one and none of the other in the 80s, but I will leave it up to you to guess which was which!

Other Ian

xbally

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2022, 05:41:30 PM »
Looking good Ian. The standard indicators are terrible so most people bin them. They are mounted on rubber / plastic stems and after this many years they go floppy!
The ones you have fitted suit the bike very well.
Ah that takes me back -Vale Onslows. Spot on about the queues and surly counter staff. My 1974 Suzuki GT185 was supplied by them from new. I swapped it for my RE Continental GT 535 with a friend in June.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

JOOLZ

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2022, 07:49:47 PM »
Looking very good :)

iansoady

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2022, 12:46:29 PM »
And there's more....

A previous owner has seen fit to cut the rear brake pedal stop off so I had to make a replacement:

The last MoT had an advisory for a slight run out on the back wheel so I decided to check it out. A few judicious taps with a lump hammers and old chair leg reduced the runout to between 1 & 2mm which I hope is enough. I'm reluctant to hit it too hard....

Oh, and what's that I hear at the front door? It's a yodel parcel delivery. It must be my CX500 tank! Be still my beating heart. At last I'll be able to get on with the object of the exercise.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

xbally

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2022, 01:26:56 PM »
Progressing at a pace........

Those rear brake stops can break off if the bike is dropped on the right hand side. Don't ask me how I know!
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

iansoady

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2022, 04:08:26 PM »
I suspect that may be where the kink in the back wheel came from. Anyway, back wheel back on - with the usual struggle, even needing my wife to help. "Hit that with the soft hammer, No not that that!"

Just done a very rough dry build with the tank, which is actually in excellent condition. It's still a bit porky looking but miles better to my eye than the XBR one. Following Matt's advice to move the front bobbins up & forward the back mounting is virtually spot on. And the seat will only need the horn at the front removing! The only issue I can see at the moment is the petrol tap wants to be in the same place as the side panel. Maybe I can get it moved?

Pics of the dry assembly:

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....