Author Topic: My XBR project  (Read 6888 times)

xbally

Re: My XBR project
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2023, 02:02:43 PM »
I've just reduced down from working 4 days a week to 3 in August and now do 1 day a week from December. Still learning what to do with all this leisure time. My wife retired 18 months ago (3 years younger than me) and she loves it. It certainly takes some adjusting to. Roll on the spring when we can do more riding. I'm currently spending time sorting through the remains of stock I acquired from an old chap who spent his life working in the motor cycle trade. There only 3 crates piled up but today I've finally sorted out the last of it. I think I will be going to an autojumble in the Spring-probably at Stratford race course .
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

iansoady

« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2023, 02:44:04 PM »
The bit I haven'tbeen looking forward to - painting. I'm starting with the side panels. Fortunately I rang the supplier before starting as I hadn't realised that the base silver, dye coat and lacquer all need to be applied within a short period of time or they stand the chance of delaminating. so:

This is the silver base coat.

And this the dye (colour) coat with lacquer - in something of a panic I didn't photo before applying the clear coat.

It looks a bit milky in the photo but in real life OK - although not as "candy" as I was expecting. We'll see how it looks tomorrow when it's all cured. At worst I can do it all again..... Note that those little reinforcing tabs are hidden under the tank when assembled.

Also took the seat to the upholsterer yesteday and expect that back in a week or so.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2023, 05:42:06 PM »
All beginning to come together Ian. Look forward to seeing the panels, tank and seat in place 👍
Cheers, Michael

Itsme

« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2023, 07:41:15 PM »
That is looking very nice indeed. Clear coat always starts off looking a bit milky then clears to leave a nice finish.

There is something deeply satisfying about seeing paint applied and then it becoming a hard, shiny surface. One of the things I miss, the only thing I miss, about giving up my original trade of decorating many years ago is that when me and my gang of miscreants walked in to a dirty, neglected church or village hall we always walked out of a clean, re-painted building which looked loved again.

Its the same with bikes, see an old frame (or side panel) with rust and flaking paint and turn it into a lovely, shiny work of art.

Nice work.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2023, 11:25:10 AM »
All was going so well but... went to check this morning and various imperfections were showing through. Obviously I hadn't followed the rule "preparation is 90% of the finish". But never mind, back to flatting off again (properly) and starting with primer again. I'm glad I tried on the side panels not the tank......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2023, 12:49:09 PM »
Feeling your pain on this one, Ian, but as you say, thank goodness you knew to go with the side panels first.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

iansoady

« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2023, 03:10:18 PM »
This time round I can't decide whether to try one panel first to minimise heartache or do them both again. Decisions decisions....

I gave up on cosmetics today and did the valve clearances to .005" and .007" being a compromise between the original spec and the revised one to stop cutting out. Now it probably won't start and will still cut out (not that I've even ridden it yet to find out...)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:24:02 PM by iansoady »
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2023, 02:09:27 PM »
Trying again. I made sure the paint was at room temperature and took care to shake very well. I suspect one of the problems was that I was trying to put too much lacquer in one pass and it sank through the colour and metallic coats. At least that's my theory. This is 2 coats of silver, 3 of colour and 3 of lacquer with around 15 minutes between each.

They're looking much better although I have my fingers crossed. A bit orange-peely but when it's had a good chance to harden I'll give it a go with rubbing compound. The light makes them look very orangy in the photos but in real life they're very similar to original. Hopefully I still have enough paint for the tank although there's still a way to go with that. Flatting to the right profile where the hinged cover went and around the filler tower is tricky.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

iansoady

« Reply #158 on: January 07, 2023, 11:48:15 AM »
Painted panels in position. Second time lucky - they're not perfect but 90% there. Now I know how to do it I can always refinish if necessary. The colour match to the under-seat infill looks pretty good at least in artificial light.

I've bought a pair of Honda wings from ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144619676803 - which look good, and I've contacted the supplier who says he can do me custom side panel decals from a png file. I don't have, and don't much like, the standard ones which in any case seem very rare.

I've also fitted the little flyscreen I got from aliexpress. It's not brilliant quality but looks quite good. It would probably have been better smoked but for £15 or so I can't complain. It probably needs to be a bit lower.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #159 on: January 07, 2023, 11:56:00 AM »

I've bought a pair of Honda wings from ebay
You’ll soon be flying high Ian 👍👍
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2023, 12:02:36 PM »
Yes, looks like it'll be ready before I will be ready to ride it!

No doubt I'll come across some awful problem before long however.

Oh, by the way you can see the lowered footrests in the first 2 pics.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2023, 01:14:16 PM »
Paint looks good! Also impressed with the screen at that price.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

CrazyFrog

« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2023, 06:34:01 PM »
Starting to look good Ian.  :)
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2023, 03:20:36 PM »
Just got the seat back from the upholsterer (Bernard at MB Trim here in Redditch, https://www.mbtrim.com/about). An excellent job at £90 and quickly turned round in a week.

Here it is on the bike. The black paint on the tank is a guide coat to highlight the remaining (many) imperfections so filling and sanding not complete yet......

Coming on well though.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2023, 04:08:01 PM »
Really starting to take shape now Ian. Should hopefully be perfect timing for the lighter nights and hopefully sunnier days creeping in 👍
Cheers Michael