Author Topic: This winters work  (Read 3169 times)

JOOLZ

This winters work
« on: November 25, 2021, 11:39:05 AM »
The XBR is in for the winter, it has now run a little over 3000 miles with the supercharger and I am giving it a partial strip down to make some changes and to inspect the engine to see how it is coping.
I replaced the cam chain to the original length item, I am raising the compression slightly (I have a little leeway built in) so raising it wont bring about nasty knocking, while replacing the camchain I had to remove the clutch so I examined the plates, no blueing or burning so the uprated clutch is holding out
The bore is a little more worn than I had hoped with no honing marks anywhere (there should still be visable marks in line with the low thrust surfaces in line with the gudgeon pin at this low milage) I suspect the extra heat is closing up the ring gap, I will have to grind the rings to make it a little larger, looks like that part came very close to failure and that would have blown the whole engine :(
I am going to do a bit more porting work on the cylinder head, mainly on the exhaust area to reduce pumping losses
There are a couple of small jobs to do, lower the forks in the yoke a bit, they have already been shortened but I recon I can also drop them 2-3cm and I am also going to raise the fairing by about 2cm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:02:08 AM by JOOLZ »

JOOLZ

Re: This winters work
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 10:28:50 AM »
Working on the head now, finding another 4cc in the combustion chamber to get the compression where I need it with the added benefit of deshrouding the valves near the cylinder wall
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:30:58 AM by JOOLZ »

JOOLZ

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 10:15:21 AM »
The XBR is rebuilt, the head machining turned out well 3mm was removed from the combustion chamber which is now at 64cc as well as a 1.3mm lift on the barrel compression is 8:1 which is perfect for my use. I finally found and bought a belly pan that I liked the look of, its from a Mondial HPS 125 I just need to make some brackets and a few small mods to the pan then a spray

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 03:23:16 PM »
Look forward to seeing the belly pan in place Joolz 👍
Cheers, Michael

JOOLZ

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
It shouldnt take long Michael hopefully a week or two

mthee

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »
Not from the comfort of your warm living room, surely?😁
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 12:10:19 PM »
Not from the comfort of your warm living room, surely?😁
No.. don’t be silly Matt. He can’t possibly do spray painting in his living room.... there’s to many bikes in there. He obviously has his spray booth set up in his bathroom 🤣😉👍

mthee

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 01:45:35 PM »
JOOLZ's family coat of arms motto? "In comfort and style" Whatever that is in Latin!

JOOLZ

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 02:46:43 PM »
Ha ha you lot :) I wouldnt get away with all that. mthee I think this is the translation, In commodo ac style, that will do me :)

JOOLZ

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 04:23:52 PM »
Modifying the belly pan to fit, looks ok so far

Moto63

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:38:32 PM »
Looking good Joolz.... time now to disappear into the bathroom and get it sprayed up 😉👍
Cheers, Michael

JOOLZ

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 03:27:31 PM »
I have made the front and rear brackets for the belly pan. Now I need to spray it and line the inside with a heat reflective blanket.
The YB100 is now standing on its wheels

Moto63

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »
Don’t look now Joolz but someone has knicked your front tyre 🤦???
Looking good, liking the belly pan on the XBR. I thought (purely from a personal point of view) that it might look a tad to modern for the XBR, but no. I think it suits it well, look forward to seeing the finished product 👍
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 11:44:08 AM »
Your belly pan fits really well on your custom brackets 👍 What plans for the Yam?

JOOLZ

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 12:24:15 PM »
Moto63 yes I had my doubts about the belly pan and looked at lots to see what I thought might suit it, this was the only one I liked
mthee the rear brackets were a pain to make finally got it right on the 4th try, they bolt onto the exhaust mounts and are angled and offset as well. the YB100 will continue to be built up but its going to be slow going as we have to get a new roof fitted this year