Author Topic: This winters work  (Read 218 times)

JOOLZ

This winters work
« on: November 25, 2021, 11:39:05 AM »
The XBR is in for the winter, it has now run a little over 3000 miles with the supercharger and I am giving it a partial strip down to make some changes and to inspect the engine to see how it is coping.
I replaced the cam chain to the original length item, I am raising the compression slightly (I have a little leeway built in) so raising it wont bring about nasty knocking, while replacing the camchain I had to remove the clutch so I examined the plates, no blueing or burning so the uprated clutch is holding out
The bore is a little more worn than I had hoped with no honing marks anywhere (there should still be visable marks in line with the low thrust surfaces in line with the gudgeon pin at this low milage) I suspect the extra heat is closing up the ring gap, I will have to grind the rings to make it a little larger, looks like that part came very close to failure and that would have blown the whole engine :(
I am going to do a bit more porting work on the cylinder head, mainly on the exhaust area to reduce pumping losses
There are a couple of small jobs to do, lower the forks in the yoke a bit, they have already been shortened but I recon I can also drop them 2-3cm and I am also going to raise the fairing by about 2cm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:02:08 AM by JOOLZ »

JOOLZ

Re: This winters work
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 10:28:50 AM »
Working on the head now, finding another 4cc in the combustion chamber to get the compression where I need it with the added benefit of deshrouding the valves near the cylinder wall
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:30:58 AM by JOOLZ »

JOOLZ

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 10:15:21 AM »
The XBR is rebuilt, the head machining turned out well 3mm was removed from the combustion chamber which is now at 64cc as well as a 1.3mm lift on the barrel compression is 8:1 which is perfect for my use. I finally found and bought a belly pan that I liked the look of, its from a Mondial HPS 125 I just need to make some brackets and a few small mods to the pan then a spray

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 03:23:16 PM »
Look forward to seeing the belly pan in place Joolz 👍
Cheers, Michael

JOOLZ

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
It shouldnt take long Michael hopefully a week or two

mthee

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »
Not from the comfort of your warm living room, surely?😁
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 12:10:19 PM »
Not from the comfort of your warm living room, surely?😁
No.. don’t be silly Matt. He can’t possibly do spray painting in his living room.... there’s to many bikes in there. He obviously has his spray booth set up in his bathroom 🤣😉👍

mthee

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 01:45:35 PM »
JOOLZ's family coat of arms motto? "In comfort and style" Whatever that is in Latin!
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

JOOLZ

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 02:46:43 PM »
Ha ha you lot :) I wouldnt get away with all that. mthee I think this is the translation, In commodo ac style, that will do me :)

JOOLZ

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 04:23:52 PM »
Modifying the belly pan to fit, looks ok so far

Moto63

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:38:32 PM »
Looking good Joolz.... time now to disappear into the bathroom and get it sprayed up 😉👍
Cheers, Michael