Author Topic: Suzuki DR350 Speedo drive gear.  (Read 1570 times)

ianTTracer

Suzuki DR350 Speedo drive gear.
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
Hello Everyone!!! New member,just joined,seeking HELP!!!
I am the proud owner of a very tired 93 DR350,and I am in the process of putting all the wrongs right to press it back into active service. However,during solving lots of problems I seem to have hit a dead end fixing the speedometer. The problem appears to be a common one of the nylon snail drive/gear being worn. After contacting Suzuki and consulting my parts book,it would appear that only the complete housing assembly can be purchased at a cost of £80! Now I have found a company in Germany, Hessler Motorsport, who supplies aforementioned drive gear. But at a total cost of E16.95 + E16.00 P+P it's not cheap. Surely somebody in the UK must be supplying these parts if it's a common problem? They must cost pennies to make and most DR's at some point wear them out. Any help or pointers mucho appreciated.

SteveC#222

Re: Suzuki DR350 Speedo drive gear.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
Hi Ian, welcome to the club.

Are you absolutely sure the speedo gears are worn? the reason I ask is that I have had speedo problems with an SP370, DR400 and GN250 and each time it wasn't the actual gears but the tabs on the drive washer that had bent back and wern't engaging with the wheel properly. If so all you need to do is bend them back.  Suzukis seem very prone to this especially if they have been used off road. Worth a look before you order expensive parts. You might find a speedo drive on Ebay.  This may be of use - Ebay 110708530914

It's the 2 big tabs you need to check.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 05:20:49 PM by SteveC#222 »
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

ianTTracer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply and options. This is a generic problem with this particular nylon snail drive and gear. What happens,and it's clearly visable, is the worm gear it drives to the speedo cable is alloy and when that jams with crud, consequently strips the nylon drive of it's mesh splines/teeth.

Replacement is the only option I am aware of.

Gold star though for speedy reply! I will no doubt be asking more testing questions as this project progresses!

::)

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »
Aye Ian,

Welcome to the old leather chair!

Rather than phaffing to much, try one of those small cycle speedometers, wireless, these days I believe. Easy to fit and accurate for all your going need, with no need to worry about plastic drive gears or fraying cables etc.

My regards, Bill.

ianTTracer

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »
Hi again Steve,

Having just paged down and seen your attachment I realise that the DR350 has a completely different drive gear, kinda washers and tabs all moulded together. Excellent assistanceand support though. Cheers Chief.