Author Topic: All shiny and new...  (Read 6538 times)

themoudie

Re: All shiny and new...
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 12:10:57 AM »
Aye ian,

Modification of the brake pedal understood! ;D

My regards, Bill.

Ian

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:41 PM »
Speedo and Tacho now rebuilt with shiny new black powder coated brackets and housings ;D

Im sure someone will disapprove  as these are not "originals" for the SRX (actually donated by a workmate from an XS250..I find them quite attractive especially as they were a "gift")

PS Bracket was shortened to bring the instruments closer together. Also had a load of nuts bolts brackets etc replated today by Parkfield Electroplaters in Wolverhampton. Dropped a tin full of parts off at midday(unannounced) and collected them at 3:30pm .....now thats service for you!! Back wheel now in place as well ;D
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Steve H

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »
Im sure someone will disapprove  as these are not "originals" for the SRX (actually donated by a workmate from an XS250..I find them quite attractive especially as they were a "gift")

If they work, dont look daft and are cheap then why not. The SRX tacho is quite small so I can see some advantages to having a full size one.

Ian

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:23 PM »
Progressing slowly but surely (Shirley not)

Ian :)

Ian

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »
1st March.......

Downpipes now fitted.....

Setting up the new and not yet finished, rear set brake pedal

Ian

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
Clutch cover and newly painted name plate casting

more pics this weekend hopefully

Ian

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:04 PM »
As promised a few more photos. I seem to be taking one step forward and three back lately. (Whats new in life?) I had to remove the airbox to enlarge the available space to take a big enough battery to cope with the electric starter. Resulting in removing all the back end etc etc. Then I had problems with the left hand switch and had to remove that. I have now taken off the wiring harness to check and double check that I have altered everything correctly. Phewww. This has meant quite a few late night workings in the Reece garage. Ah well....I went for a blast on the Bonneville this morning just get it all out of my system and felt a lot better this afternoon. Im still hoping for an early April finish although it probably doesnt look like it on paper.

Ian

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:45 PM »
Just a bit of an update now the pressure of Stafford is off! It doesnt look like much progress has been made but I have been pretty busy. I will take another photo of offside tomorrow in daylight if I get the chance.  As you can see the battery is a bit of a squeeze in there (same size as a Bandit battery YTX-9BS 8Ah) Fitted the braided hoses to front and back master cylinders, but I need to do some work on the real caliper (usual fault, one of the bleed nipples has "dropped off". I dont know if Im going to fit a headlamp in their either..it looks a bit full. The ( slightly modified) exhaust has also been fitted but I need to make some new stainless manifold nuts as I have somehow lost one of the original ones.
 I have been informed today that my paintwork is now ready so I will pick it up on Friday and post a pic or two of it. Im told its a nice metallic blue with gold tuning fork badge and a subtle lining. Hmm cant wait to see. I also picked up the last lot (hopefully) of plating today so I can now rebuild the carbs and get them fitted. I have the new oil and filter (fitted)...Im hoping for firing up next week sometime..I will keep you posted... I may even try and put a short video on here.

New Battery fitted:

Nearside virtually finished:

Front braided hose and a rats nest in the headlamp shell:

Ian

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
Didnt get home in time to take pics in daylight so took them with flash. (Hope Im not exceeding my "limit" by posting all these pics ....I have tried to make them small ish without losing too much quality). The sharp eyed ones of you will notice lots of small jobs to do.
Pics pretty much self explanatory I hope, I have tried to keep "The Spirit of the Bike"

Ian

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »
Here it is.."all shiny and new" . To be quite honest..Im gobsmacked at it  :o I think its brilliant, but maybe not to everyones taste. All I have to do now is finish the rest of the bike off to the same standard. Hope you like.

guest27

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
That looks real nice.  Bet the bike is a looker when finished.

R

tj63

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 10:07:06 AM »
He's done you proud again with that paintwork, Ian - simply stunning!

It may even be better than the paintwork on my SRX  ;)

Trevor

Ian

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
Just a couple of pics to see how it looks ......(nearly there!)

Ian

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
Seat now fitted and looking good (and feeling comfortable!). Took the front mudguard off whilst I bled the front brake....why are Yamaha brakes such pigs to bleed? I ended up swapping the seals from another master cylinder to get it to work. I have now cleaned and reassembled the carbs, but Im sure they will need lots of adjustments and fiddling to get to work properly. I need an XT600E coil if anyone has one lying around that they dont need/ want. I had to make a longer bleed nipple for the rear caliper as I had to drill out and retap the thread in the caliper casting, trouble was I drilled just that wee bit too deep  :-[ Just a few odds and sods to finish off now then I can book it in for MOT and hopefullly get some miles done on it. (End of tunnel in sight...or is that some bu66er bringing me more jobs to do!)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:31:52 PM by ian650 »

tj63

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
Looking great now, Ian.  That seat looks so much comfier than mine...  :'(

Can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Trevor