Author Topic: New, to me, XBR 500 questions.  (Read 1798 times)

Dogbad

New, to me, XBR 500 questions.
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
So I bought the '89 XBR 500 SJ advertised on here. Got it Friday night and took it without even a trial ride!  Sounded okay outside but it was late evening and it has fairly loud pipes so I didn't want to disturb the neighbours.
Just took it ou for the first little ride this evening. Love it, it feels more real than the "Plastic Racer" I had before it (FZ600 Yam'). Only negatives are that the rear light doesn't work, brake light does, so I assume it's just a bulb problem. I'll have a look at that in the light (Garage has no power). Only other thing is that, as the seller told me, it sometimes ticks over and sometimes doesn't. Anything I should know about this?
I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to look out for on the bike as it's 20 years old anbd 40,000 miles away from new. Feels good and firm but I've been away from things so long that I might miss something simple.
Any thoughts and advice welcomed.

SteveC#222

Re: New, to me, XBR 500 questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:20:38 AM »
The back light is probably just a bulb or at worst a minor wiring/earth issue.  Assuming it's fairly standard (airbox etc) it should tick over pretty reliably once it's warmed up - they do have an annoying habit of occasionally cutting out at traffic lights though!  If it's in decent condition, 40K shouldn't be a problem.  You need to be religious with your oil changes -1200 to 1500 miles between changes with a filter every other change ( ignore what Mr Honda says).  The biggest problem with these bikes is excessive cam/ follower wear if the oil changes are ignored - cam runs directly in the head. Other than that there are no real known problems. Starter motors can pack up - but it's easy to kick start and it will kick with a flat or even no battery.  If it makes a loud clack when you switch off don't worry - a lot of them do that, i understand it's the starter clutch. If you ever have to take the head off you will probably find a crack from the plug hole to one of the valve seats - don't worry they all do that.  Fit a chain oiler (Loobman is good and very cheap) as they can be heavy on chains otherwise. Try to keep the downpipes in good nick as they are like hens teeth. Oh yes and watch the back brake - if it starts pulsing when you brake it may be going oval. You can't just get it skimmed as the problem is usually corrosion between the alloy hub and the steel liner and there is not really enough metal in the liner to skimm successfully - decent back wheels are also like hens teeth.

I think thats about it - generally they are very reliable and very little trouble 60-70k + on the engine is normal and they will take a fair bit of abuse ( just look at GC's! ::)). Might be worth trying to pick up a few electrical items off ebay if they come up cheap - reg/rec and CDI etc

if you need a copy of the workshop manual/ parts manual PM me your address and I'll send you a copy on disc.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Dogbad

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:02:10 AM »
Much appreciated Steve.
pm sent ;)

blew

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »
Regarding the bit about the cam running directly in the head,when I lifted the rocker cover of my XBR,there was a rather large roller bearing on  each end.

Dogbad

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
Got out to the garage this afternoon and had a tentative poke around. I will refrain from using the language that I would have used had I thought to check the bike over before I paid for it!

The wiring is in total chaos! Sidelights don't work, front and rear, but the bulbs are okay. Somebody has had the seat off and just joined wiry bits to other wiry bits in a random fashion!
The rear indicators were flashing the opposite direction to the front ones and I was out on a short ride last night without noticing this.  Brother Dave will have a look at the electrics when I get the CD manual that has been very kindly offered to me by SteveC.

It does worry me what other dodgy bits may be lurking in the bikes mechanics and drivetrain though
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
Did the seller give any hints of these gremlins?? Don't like the thought of one of our own catching out a fellow. Just not cricket!

Then again as the saying goes, Caveat emptor!
Live long, live well, live happy

Dogbad

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:23:05 PM »
No Hints at all. His son rode it the 40 something miles up here and he followed in his car. I assume he would have noticed his son indicating left at the right turns!
I saw it advertised on Ebay and I don't know if the seller is a regular here or just joined to advertise.

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:51:11 PM »
Very sorry to hear that matey, very sorry indeed.

Looking for the rainbow in all this, at least you've got the start of a winter project bike!

I'll get my coat :-[

Dogbad

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »
I just hope the CD, manuals, SteveC is mailing me have got better wirinbg diagrams than the crappy thing I managed to find so far!

By the way.. What is 1-6-2006 upside down?
It's 1-9-2009 with the number 2 looking a bit odd.
I looked at the tax disc on the Indian Enfield whilst I was 23 miles from home today and guess what :o

SteveC#222

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »
Check your PM's.  I've sent you the GB500 addendum site - if you look at 24-62 the wiring diagram is , i think, almost the same as the XBR. Colours for the wiring bundle under the seat are the same.

Dogbad

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 09:21:47 AM »
Cheers Steve. I'll have a prod about in there this afternoon sometime.
N.A.B.D. will soon be a few quid happier :D

Dogbad

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 07:29:42 PM »
Finally got the wiring to Work this evening! The mess in there is a maze of different colour wire matches, bare metal bits and broken connectors.
Benefit of the doubt has now gone as there is NO WAY that the seller couldn't have noticed some of the problems :( >:(

Dogbad

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 11:31:04 AM »
UPDATE on "The Rant!"
Wiring is all sorted now and working as it should be.
As for the running of the bike... Excellent ;D
The opinion of Sprogs (An electric brain type!) is that the bike was sold as the owner found a wiring problem and couldn't sort it.
It now runs and is fine and dandy. Sounds excellent with the slip on, Motad style, silencers and I love it already!

SteveC#222

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 01:29:19 PM »
Glad to hear it was nothing too serious.  ;D    I think you'll enjoy it!

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 06:25:31 PM »
Great to hear you're sorted matey. Lets hope that's the gremlins put in their place once and for all.