Author Topic: xbr500 electric starter clutch problem  (Read 775 times)

pete b

xbr500 electric starter clutch problem
« on: October 30, 2009, 07:52:22 PM »
 ;D Hi Ihavent been on the site for a while got the bike on the road early in the year and have realy enjoyed  it this summer.Now the dark evenings are back I decided to take a look at a problem ive had with the starter not engaging properly (thank god for kick starts).I have removed the starter clutch and the only problem I can see is the spring that holds the "rollers" in place is very slack does anyone know if this is likley to cause  problems with it engaging or can anyone suggest a supplier for a new one . Ive tried Dave silver. Thanks pete b

KirriePete

Re: xbr500 electric starter clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
Had this with my old NX650 Dominator - does "Whizz, whizz, crunch!" sound about right?  Easy check now you've got all apart is to put the parts together on the bench and then try to turn the big cog both ways - it should move freely one way and not at all the other - any movement (even 1mm) in the 'wrong' direction means the rollers are f***ed.

As to where it can be got, have you tried CMS over in Holland?  Have a link on me

I think it's a common part throughout a lot of the Honda 500/650 singles (I'm sure more knowledgeable ones will be along soon if I'm wrong), so a hunt around using XBR and NX as the start point could be worthwhile.

You're welcome.

pete b

Re: xbr500 electric starter clutch problem
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:57:39 PM »
Hi thanks for the link  looks like the right one. ;D