Author Topic: the Resurrection of Number ten  (Read 3407 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
the Resurrection of Number ten
« on: April 16, 2023, 07:50:56 PM »
As i've mentioned elsewhere in here, i bought an SRX400 a while back. lots of niggles before i could ride it and find out what else needed doing.
i have now stripped it down so that i can see exactly what is required to bring it up to a 'keeper' fit to replace #1.

steering was very notchy, and when stripped the ball cups looked like a roulette wheel. so a roller kit on order.

on stripping the forks, i'm disappointed to find a whole host of problems. the tubes are badly pitted, so will need to be rechromed.
the spindle thread had been helicoiled, but the coil was half way out, in addition the thread on the spindle was a real mess.
this had the potential to be a real show stopper, but for a local old school engineer who has fettled stuff for me in the past. he made a wonderful job of repairing it, as i hope the pictures show. new seals etc on order.

the swing arm basically didn't , and when i finally got the spindle out i found the needle rollers were crushed, square or missing. so they are on order along with the spaces & seals from Yamaha an eye watering £80+ !.

wheels, sprocket carrier, fork tubes, headstock, speedo/tacho/headlamp support frame, swingarm all sent for powder coating.
tank, front guard, tail piece, side panels sent for respray.

i'm also waiting for a quote to make up some s/s chainguards....

all in all ... as usual .....this aint going to be cheap ..... but hopefully it'll be worth the effort..... 

Steve Lake

Re: the Resurrection of Number ten
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 06:36:22 AM »
a quick update ... my usual upholsterer is no more sadly, a victim of covid in as much as he closed his business, located another fairly local with a good reputation, so dropped 2 seats off to him, and had a look at some of his work, most impressive ... so was the quote at £150 each ... my 'refurb pot' winced ... again.

finally got a quote for the s/s chain guards £60 each ... so only ordered 3 (as there was little or no interest to my advert) there will be one spare if anyone fancies it. (probably cheaper elsewhere if made from 9ct gold!)

Steve Lake

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 11:24:21 AM »
due to a cockup (mine), whilst ordering 4 exhaust studs using fowlers excellent parts website, i managed to bu55er up the part numbers, and as they were special order i had to bite the bullet and pay for them, so, if anyone wants an srx cylinder head stud (the one that faces down when the head is fitted, 2 per head) then i have 4 , couple of quid + carriage will suffice.

Steve Lake

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 11:36:00 AM »
following the respray of the relevant painty bits i will of course have to replace all the decals, so, off to norwich to my 'signwriter man' who has all my decals on file, well, he did, another victim of covid, business closed. undeterred i found a most excellent guy in swaffham. 'uncle lukes vehicle graphics' made a great job at a reasonable price, and i now have 50 of every srx decal in gold & original dark silver.

onwards and upwards

Moto63

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 12:48:34 PM »
Looking forward to seeing some pics Steve 👍

Steve Lake

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 02:12:15 PM »
been fettling the wiring over the last few days, bit of a problem in that the grommets (3) in the headlight back were pretty much perished away, so i did a bit of searching, and found a (semi) local supplier, so took a gamble and ordered a range of suitable bits.
turned up this morning and i struck lucky, got a perfect fit. they are slightly more robust than standard, which is good as far as i'm concerned, not wishing to unplug everything i thought i'd try cutting and feeding it in, absolutely spot on. took a bit of effort to get it in properly with no overlap. well pleased. details on the photo if anyone needs any.

iansoady

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 09:10:34 AM »
Useful source for those grommets, thanks Steve.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Steve Lake

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 06:40:33 AM »
well, here's a thing..while  i'm waiting  (and waiting and waiting) for refurbished bits to come back i've been doing all the fiddly bits that usually get left 'til last. so this weekend i fitted some led indicators + their associated flasher. thought i had it all working but then realised that all the units flash whichever position the switch is in. checked all the wiring, can't see a problem. weirdly, the only way i can get them to work correctly is to remove the repeater bulb in the binnacle. more investigation is needed. BUT ... on a little jaunt out on #1 to the local bike meet exactly the same thing started happening on #1 !!. last night i traced that to a broken -ve (earth), so i'm hoping that this may be the same fault on #10.

Itsme

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 02:44:36 PM »
That was both unlucky and lucky at the same time. To experience a fault is frustrating, but to hopefully find that the solution to the one fault leads to a cure for the other fault would be useful.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 04:17:13 PM »
In some layouts the repeater is connected between left and right so earths through the "inactive" side (I think...). Perhaps your bulbs are the wrong power rating or maybe the flasher units don't like that layout?
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Steve Lake

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 06:59:05 PM »
Quite possibly ian ... with the repeater bulb removed and a volt meter across the terminals the polarity reverses as the indicator switch is changed from L to R ... that's as far as i've got today, the family descended  with copious amounts of local beer, and, not wishing to be rude i consumed a lot of it whilst converting sausages and burgers to carbon for lunch... good time had by all... #10 will have to wait 'til i'm sober  :)

pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2023, 08:51:36 PM »
Snap!  ;)

350 crankshaft will have to wait till tomorrow!

Happy Father's day to all on this site!

Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 08:09:01 AM »
ok, Ian was spot on, the repeater finds it's return through the non selected side of the switch, with LED indicators and flasher module this return circuit provides a complete circuit so they all flash.
plan A. replace the tungsten repeater bulb with 2 LED's working in opposite directions ... good idea, leds work but so do ALL the indicators
plan B  run a led between the flasher unit live side to earth... not bad thinking but 12v blew the led up !
plan C  run a led between the  flasher unit switched side and earth ... possibility but everything flashing again.
plan D  run a led in series in the switched side of the flasher unit ... now we're talking! one problem, indicators run at about half intensity.
plan E  buy some higher current superbrite leds (square lense type) then possibly run 2 in parallel ... on order, watch this space.

on another note, i have a lovely full colour SRX circuit diagram, very easy to understand, it is for the european (with sidestand switch) models, but the wire colours are the same as my #1 & #10 which are jap grey imports.

i have copied it as 6 A4 pages (JPEG), printed it off and it goes together ok. so if anyone is interested i'll post the 6 pages up on here somewhere (suggestions)

cheers

themoudie

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »
Mornin' sunshine,

Me!Me! Please Sir! Me!  ::)  Brat!

As requested, suggestions:
  • May I have a *.pdf copy please?
  • Ian, he of the "Grumpy Trumpy" special, posts images in his posts, not as attachments. Not sure "How?", it would be nice to know. Hence they are'nt removed to keep the size of the forum down and as *.jpg files, could be copied and saved to a hard drive/ stick. Posted in "Bike Problems / Questions" and titled "SRX Coloured Wiring Diagram, European models".
  • Maybe put it on an image sharing platform and post the link as suggested above. But that depends upon an awful lot of variable "If's & But's" and may lead spammers and trolls to this forum that we would rather discourage.
Does that help or hinder the cause?

Thank you for sharing.

Bill

P.S. Note that I have made an a*se of this thread because I cannot get rid of the ruddy codeing syntax from the posting!  >:( >:( >:([/list]

Steve Lake

Re: the Resurrection of Number ten coloured wiring diag)
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 09:53:16 AM »
hi Bill, i thought i'd try 2 per post just to see what happened... what happened was.... F'all
so will try and work out another way.
i had thought that i could photo the whole diagram, then post it as a single lpg image for users to enlarge and view/print as required.
in fact i'll put that on here now and wait for comments
pip