Author Topic: the Resurrection of Number ten  (Read 2856 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Re: the Resurrection of Number ten
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2023, 10:02:11 PM »
hi Ian, thanks for the info, i have several srx coolers, and also an XT one, same element different pipework.
i have the original from #1, but its a tad tatty, your idea of a 'tidy up & hide it' plate appeals, what i'd like to do then is replace the equally tatty pipes with some nice s/s braided hoses, no idea where i'd source those ... i tried our local pertek workshop .... didn't seem very interested, when he mentioned a price i wasn't very interested then.

themoudie

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2023, 12:40:34 AM »
Any use?

Bikersdirect_oil_coolers_lines

Good elf, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2023, 03:02:40 PM »
Bill, thanks for the link. had a look, LOADS of stuff, will peruse properly tonight. went to local hydraulic engineering Co just now, very positive, he can sort me out with s/s braided hoses married up to the existing ends, ready thursday, £60 ... so thats the last job ticked off.
off to the lake district for 10 days on Friday... bound to be wet, but we travel prepared. not taking the caravan this time, nice little cottage in the middle of nowhere, just south of penrith.

all i need now is a cheap, pack up small tent, couple of small gas cans for my tiny stove, some camping rations and i'm ready for the stafford weekend.

pip pip

oh, and look what the kind man at the hydraulic place GAVE me ... correct unions at the engine end, just need cutting & crimping to the cooler. he's got a box of several hundred as a job lot ... something for me to play with one evening, might use them on #1 ...

Moto63

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2023, 03:45:39 PM »
The hoses look remarkably like plumbing tap connection hoses. 1/2inch female thread at one end, then a 15mm push fit spigot at t’other end. You may be able to fill the kettle up and make ya self a brew whilst literally being on the move 😉??

Steve Lake

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2023, 07:13:35 PM »
yes, i have used similar at home  diy  :D. should be ok, as long as they are not really old ones which weren't too clever with hot liquids.

worth a try 

Itsme

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2023, 06:40:48 PM »
Hi Steve

May I ask whether yours is the SRX restoration mentioned in the VJMC news letter under Section News for the Heart of England section report?

Itsme

Steve Lake

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2023, 06:56:24 AM »
hi, i don't think so, i can't actually see the article you refer to, maybe because i'm not a member, can only see newsletters from early in the year. if #10 were to appear in the VJMC then it would most likely be in the 'norfolk' section.
i'd be interested to read it though if you have a link
cheers

Itsme

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2023, 12:24:18 PM »
Hi Steve

That's a real coincidence then! The article is in Tansha which is the VJMC magazine (I am a member). If you want to PM me an address I will happily post it to you as now I've read it it will just go in the recycle.

Ian

Steve Lake

Re: the Resurrection of Number ten ... the end
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2023, 02:59:06 PM »
OK. having completed a 380 mile round trip to stafford over the weekend. in basically 4 seasons of weather/road conditions i think it's fair to say #10 has done itself proud.
i had several unknowns going into the weekend, first time i have used Avons on an srx, good in wet & dry well pleased. i was also in the dark (ha ha) as to how the LED headlamp would perform, it was great on both dip & main.
also very thankful that the 'little' 400 is miserly with it's fuel consumption, as i missed the fuel stop i had thought would be about right and had to motor on for another 50 miles before i could fill up, pretty sure we were on fumes (no, i'm not sure if i have the reserve & main pipes round the right way.. plonker) .
one thing i noticed whilst stopped at the M6 toll area was the oil temp was at 100, on a cold evening and with the newly fitted cooler, but as it had been ticking over for 10 mins whilst i changed my gloves, stowed away credit card etc. i put it down to that. i checked the oil this morning and f**k all on the dipstick!! torch out and peered in  ... there was oil but just off the end of the dip stick. i don't think any damage has been done, the engine is still very quiet, and on a little bimble this morning wasn't (visibly) burning oil though the exhaust exit is pretty sooty.
anyway, as you may recall i have done absolutely nothing to the engine apart from fresh oil, filter and iridium plug. & washed the airfilter. engine work is scheduled for the winter as i'm planning to paint it black/polish. so it'll be head off, pot off and lets see what's there.

end of thread

Ian

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2023, 10:10:39 PM »
Glad you got home ok Steve. It was good to have an interesting natter over the weekend about all and sundry. No10 earned its corn. Glad the headlight was good. I haven't had chance to test mine out.
Pity about the oil "consumption" but at least no real damage done hopefully. SRXs are renowned for being awkward to check oil level as you are more than well aware. Let me know how you get on when you disassemble. Where do you get your head gaskets from for the 400?
I'm hoping to replace the twin carbs on mine with a single mikuni over the winter but I forgot to bring it up at the show.
Anyway till the next show ....
Kindest regards
Ian 
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Steve Lake

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2023, 10:26:19 PM »
hi Ian, i've never had to rebuild a 400, so it's unknown territory for me with regard to parts like gaskets, pistons/rings (possibly), so it'll be an interesting chat with Phil my spares guru  ;D .
as i mentioned, i am picking up a quantity of 400 parts next week, so will have a chat with the seller, as he rebuilt a 400 for his son.
pity slipstream no longer exist as they did a lot of 400 work.
we did chat about a single carb conversion, and using a grizzly manifold... i think Bill even found a part number ... if not he will as soon as he reads this  ;D
cheers

themoudie

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2023, 11:31:28 PM »
 ;)

You said! Part Number: 4WV-13586-01-00

2023-10-19_eBay_ad_Yamaha_Grizzly_inlet_manifold

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2023, 06:27:57 AM »
Told you Ian! ... that Bill fella''s on the ball, you only have to mention his name and he gets online and trawls the far reaches of the internet, thanks Bill.  ;D

themoudie

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2023, 10:14:28 AM »
A bin keepin an eye on the market for a couple o weeks now bor!  ;)

Bit drafty at present! Trees a comin over and rain continus, like someone's pebble dashin the window! Hatches secured, exit and entry by the leeward door only and birds in reverse.  :o

Supposed to be a final meet up for the Norton OC on Sunday, at which a Ducati may turn up! We'll see.  ;)

Good health and yew keep a troshin, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2023, 01:53:30 PM »
aye Bill, hope you don't get blown away or flooded ... hope weather improves for OC trip

pip pip