Author Topic: Next winters work  (Read 2933 times)

JOOLZ

Next winters work
« on: May 10, 2022, 09:23:27 AM »
Im already thinking about next winters work. Aluminuim swinging arm, I cant afford a custom made one so its going to have to come from another bike. I cant recall another XBR/GB that has had one fitted I will have to put my thinking cap on as this might be a difficult find but I have 6 months to browse

Moto63

Re: Next winters work
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 09:33:50 AM »
Morning Joolz. I’m fairly sure that metmachex used to make one for the XBR. They were pretty rare back then so probably a needlin a hay stack to try and find one nowadays. Be very interested to see if/what you find. Look forward to seeing your progress 👍
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 10:10:33 AM »
Think you're right there, Joolz. I can't remember seeing one on any of the specials, even the heavily modded ones where you might expect one;

https://pipeburn.com/retro-race-replica-1990-honda-xbr500-imatra-by-xtr-pepo/

Fingers crossed that Michael's right and one comes your way 😎
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 10:21:47 AM »
That looks remarkably like a standard swing arm to me, painted in aluminium to mimic ally🤷???
Metmachex are still going so possibly worth giving them a bell just to sound out cost. I realise they won’t be cheap but in the longer term may possibly save a lot of hassle and time. 🤷???
Either way I look forward to seeing your progress with it Joolz.
Oh and best of luck 🤞
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 10:51:41 PM »
That looks remarkably like a standard swing arm to me, painted in aluminium to mimic ally🤷???

Yep. Point is, that's the kind of XBR special which would probably have an aftermarket swinger, if they existed, but since it doesn't...
JMC is another make. Any others? 🤔👍

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 08:03:51 AM »

Yep. Point is, that's the kind of XBR special which would probably have an aftermarket swinger, if they existed, but since it doesn't...
JMC is another make. Any others? 🤔👍
[/quote]
Ahh.. I see what you mean. Yes I think Joolz is going to have his work cut out finding something that fits. However he’s clearly a man that likes a decent challenge and I really am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. Fingers crossed 🤞

JOOLZ

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 09:22:44 AM »
I am wondering if the XR has an aluminuim swinging arm as it might be the easiest way and will fit in the frame, Chop off the monoshock bracket and weld on some twin shock mounts, Anyone who can confirm that its an aluminuim item ? Another idea is a Suzuki PE400 swinging arm but thats a pretty rare item as well but its a twin shock
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:04:21 AM by JOOLZ »

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 11:21:16 AM »
Yes Joolz the XR does have an ally swing arm, as you say get some lugs fab’d on to suit twin shocks. I think the thing you’ll have to look for is the bracing the bridges just behind the pivot. Mainly as I’m sure you already know because of the oil tank. I’d look at the XR 200 from about 1985/6
Best of luck 👍👍🤞🤞
Cheers, Michael

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 11:05:24 PM »
measure width and length and any relevent measurements cos ive a couple of ally swingarms in the shed.

JOOLZ

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 10:24:01 AM »
johnr I have a spare in the shed I will measure up, Im sure there is something out there wich will do the job

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 11:39:00 PM »
suzuki katana and gsx1100/750 et had a twin shock ally swingarm.

JOOLZ

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 04:16:41 PM »
measure width and length and any relevent measurements cos ive a couple of ally swingarms in the shed.
Swinging arm measurements are 200mm between the pivot, 595 long between the pivot center and the end of the swinging arm, 220 between the wheel hub mountings

JOOLZ

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 04:19:51 PM »
Funnily enough I met a bloke this morning at Sammy Millers Japanese classics day who had an XBR with an alloy swinging arm, but he bought the bike a couple of days ago and didnt know anything about the swinging arm or who made it :(

Moto63

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2022, 08:14:27 AM »
Wow, what a coincidence Joolz. Can’t be that many XBR’s with an aftermarket ally swing arm out there and you spot one👍
It looks very similar to a JMC item from the photo, however could possibly be a “lookalike copy” 🤷???
Cheers, Michael

mthee