Author Topic: XBR500 starting problems  (Read 2121 times)

Wuggsy

Re: XBR500 starting problems
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2022, 03:03:27 PM »
Hi Richard, did you resolve the problem in the end?

richardeblack

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »
Hello,
Yes it turned out to be the exciter coils on the alternator stator not generating sufficient voltage. I can't remember the actual figure now. But I put on a spare which I think gave 80v at cranking speed which was enough to give reliable starting at all times. I am not sure why the coils deteriorated gradually to a point where it would not start rather than failing completely.
Are you having problems?
Richard

Wuggsy

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »
Not problems of that nature, but my bike is in having the starter gears fitted, they’ve been done now but it appears the starter isn’t strong enough to turn the engine, it apparently starts on the kick start but whether I have the strength to kick it over yet is debatable and the reason I sent it in the first place to have the gears fitted, so it looks like I may have to source a new starter motor.
It used to whizz over when no gears were fitted but then again it wasn’t under load, I’m guessing it wants an overhaul of new brushes and cleaning but that could be a later project for me at some date.

mthee

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2022, 11:24:10 AM »
Hello,
Yes it turned out to be the exciter coils on the alternator stator not generating sufficient voltage. I can't remember the actual figure now. But I put on a spare which I think gave 80v at cranking speed which was enough to give reliable starting at all times. I am not sure why the coils deteriorated gradually to a point where it would not start rather than failing completely.
Are you having problems?
Richard
Congratulations on sorting your starting issue and thanks for posting the outcome which I have noted for future reference 👍
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

richardeblack

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2022, 03:51:09 PM »
Not problems of that nature, but my bike is in having the starter gears fitted, they’ve been done now but it appears the starter isn’t strong enough to turn the engine, it apparently starts on the kick start but whether I have the strength to kick it over yet is debatable and the reason I sent it in the first place to have the gears fitted, so it looks like I may have to source a new starter motor.
It used to whizz over when no gears were fitted but then again it wasn’t under load, I’m guessing it wants an overhaul of new brushes and cleaning but that could be a later project for me at some date.
It is quite an easy job doing brushes etc, and is only slightly awkward getting the starter off. I always find it more difficult refitting the starter without removing all the cases but it is possible.
If you're starter is actually faulty, I have a few which might help you out. Where do you live?
Cheers
Richard

Wuggsy

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 10:54:27 AM »
Hi Richard you know me, we met last year at the classic bike show Stafford, we spoke about the footrest plates, I’ll email you later 👍

richardeblack

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 02:09:16 PM »
Hi Richard you know me, we met last year at the classic bike show Stafford, we spoke about the footrest plates, I’ll email you later 👍
Hello, I looked out some plates ages ago and can't remember where they are now. Sorry about that. I'll have another look.
Cheers
Richard

Wuggsy

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2022, 01:19:13 AM »
That’s okay, these things happen 👍
I’ve emailed you