Author Topic: Short term bike storage?  (Read 1644 times)

iansoady

Short term bike storage?
« on: September 04, 2019, 09:12:43 AM »
We're thinking about moving house and the logistics are a bit daunting. The garage of our present house is essentially a bike store / workshop so has workbenches, lathe, pillar drill and tons of tools etc rammed - literally - to the rafters, plus the Norton and Guzzi. To deal with it effectively I need to shift the bikes out for a short period - probably a few weeks although these things are always hard to estimate - so I can sort all the other contents out and get them into the removers' storage.

So does anyone know of somewhere in the Brum area (preferably south side) which offers short term secure storage for them?
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

Re: Short term bike storage?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
Morning Ian,

North side here and way off the beaten track!  ;)  But, does this Google search provide any comfort? Link: Birmingham_southside_self_storage_Google

You might even re-cycle some 'stuff'!  :o

My regards, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
Many thanks Bill, I've looked at them - in fact Ryans will probably be our house mover (if we get that far!). They did offer a facility where they dropped a container on your drive which you could then fill at leisure which would have been ideal for my workshop contents but sadly have stopped that as their trailer broke down......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

CrazyFrog

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:25:49 PM »
I could probably fit one in the back of my garage Ian, if that helps...
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

CrazyFrog

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
Actually, having had a look earlier, with a bit of juggling I bet both would probably fit. You're welcome to come round and have a look, and I won't be offended if you decide on an alternative solution.  :)
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 08:55:00 AM »
Many thanks Pete, that could be an ideal solution. I'll keep my eyes out as well  and as I say it's very early days at the moment.

When I'm clearer perhaps I could PM you and think about possibilities? You would of course be very welcome to ride either or both while they were in your care (which I know would be excellent).

Can you remind me in which area you are?
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

CrazyFrog

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 06:36:04 PM »
Hi Ian, I'm in Wythall now, just by the station. Just let me know as and when, and I'm sure we'll be able to sort it out!
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
Well we're looking at Redditch (or maybe even Wythall / Hollywood / Hopwood) so that would be ideal.

We're still umming and aahing and of course there's many a slip, but I'm trying to get as many ducks in a line as possible before getting committed. You've seen my garage so you'll understand that clearing it is not a trivial task, and the last thing I would want is having to get 2 bikes to their new home on the morning of the move, not to mention the lathe, grinder, bench drill etc.

Do you have any recommendations as to estate agents, conveyancers etc? (sorry admin I know this is off topic!) We've been in this house for 35 years and I did the conveyancing myself but it was somewhat fraught........
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

CrazyFrog

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
For estate agents I think both Smarts and Melvyn Danes are OK and Kelly Homes have a poor reputation. As for conveyancing, I can honestly say (at the risk of offending any solicitors on here!) that I think they're all as bad as each other. Every single time I've had to use a solicitor in my life, it has been an expensive and very, very frustrating experience. You'll gather from this that I can't recommend anyone to do the conveyancing. My last experience was with Quality Davisons in Solihull, and I'd avoid them like the plague in the future.  >:(
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
Many thanks Pete. Conveyancing is in effect a very straightforward process but I did have sleepless nights when I did it when we bought this house just in case I'd forgotten something and we didn't actually own it at all.......

I think after 35 years we're probably safe.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....