Author Topic: 86 SRX600 resto.... progress being made!  (Read 1121 times)

northernmaplered

• 86 SRX600
86 SRX600 resto.... progress being made!
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:29:46 PM »
Some folks here may recall my air cleaner cover dilemma from last summer, well I have good news! During a visit down south, I was over at my dad's place and insisted on having a look for the cover and I just so happened to locate the cover and quite a few pieces of the flaps for under the side covers. Just finished up making a template and cutting out new ones a few days ago.

Also got finished cleaning the carbs and reassembled them finally, new fuel lines, cleaned out the oil reservoir, and am now waiting for a day off from work to finish stripping the rear brake master cylinder of paint and put a fresh coat or two on it before putting in the new internals and putting 'er back on the bike, rocker cover back on, auto-decomp set up with ALL parts present and adjusted properly this time..

Thinking I will be rigging up a fuel "tank" of some sort until I am sure that it is in running order again, as my tank is sitting in southern Alberta waiting for me to be able to afford the $1500 CAD worth of repairs it needs  :'(

If anyone needs a template for the side cover flaps for a 1JK, I would be happy to pass on the one that I have made!

AJ

themoudie

Re: 86 SRX600 resto.... progress being made!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 09:58:34 PM »
Aye AJ, pleased to read of your progress and trust that you are in good fettle?

Have you thought of purchasing a petrol/gas tank direct from Japan via Jauce, the Japanese equivalent to eBay?

Here is a link: Jauce_SRX600_items

Over here in the UK, after P&P, Customs charges and VAT a good guide for the final cost is ~3 times the final bid price. All depends on the exchange rates and other Canadian taxes.

All the best, Bill

CrazyFrog

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 07:27:56 AM »
Good link that Bill. I can't remember who was asking about the jdm cb400ss the other day, but that'd be a great resource for keeping one of those on the road too...
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »
Bill.... I've said this before but I'll say it again. Your knowledge of places to find spares etc never fails to impress me. You d'maaaan 😁🤘

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:03:50 AM »
Yes!... Bill's da Man alright :-) ,,
$1500 bucks for a tank repair ..... hells bells!.... you could buy a complete SRX6 for that over here!.... in fact i did .... for a lot less than that.
i know tanks are hard to come by now, i sold one 6 months ago , needing a small repair and then sealing for the equivalent of $c 175....
you could fly over here, have a half decent holiday, pick up a tank and go back home for little more than $1500  ;)
good luck with the refurb

northernmaplered

• 86 SRX600
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 05:00:38 AM »
Aye AJ, pleased to read of your progress and trust that you are in good fettle?

Have you thought of purchasing a petrol/gas tank direct from Japan via Jauce, the Japanese equivalent to eBay?

Here is a link: Jauce_SRX600_items

Over here in the UK, after P&P, Customs charges and VAT a good guide for the final cost is ~3 times the final bid price. All depends on the exchange rates and other Canadian taxes.

All the best, Bill

Bill!

My word, I will be checking that out today! Thank you! It's a bit of a sore spot for me as I am trying to keep the bike original as much as possible, the tank I have has dents in it from the day my late uncle bought the bike new back in '86 (he dropped it whilst loading it!  :P). But as pointed out by SteveL, I certainly could go on holiday instead haha.

Thank you all very much, you guys never cease to amaze with knowledge and advice.

Talk to you folks soon!
AJ