Author Topic: #8.. finally.. 9 months after i got it, finally getting round to sorting it out.  (Read 2836 times)

mthee

Impressive! 👍👍👍
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Hmmmm, bit of a problem with the front calipers, well, one of them, following drilling out of the sheared bleed nipple, and rethreading, the new nipple will not seat properly, either the seat is damaged or the rethreading is not square to the seat...... bu55er .... double bu55er .... leaking fluid has messed up 4 hours work on prepping and painting of the replacement mudguard .... ahh well.... was all going a bit too smoothly ....
a weeks hols in cornwall to think about it ...  will have a plan in place by next weekend (hopefully). any ideas gratefully considered....

Moto63

Just make sure you take the tape to Cornwall with you Steve and play it on loop 👍👍
Have a good one , cheers, Michael

mthee

Doesn't sound like an easy one to spot, this, as I would imagine it only has to be slightly unseated for it to leak. Best of luck.

Steve Lake

having given it some thought overnight.... my fist plan is to make up a steel dowel pin just the right diameter to fit down into the caliper without damaging the thread, i'll grind the end to a point at the same angle as the nipple, then i'll use some fine valve grinding paste followed by astonish mixed with brasso and lap it in.... but it'll have to wait 'til next week now.... it'll either be fixed or f.....d....

mthee

It would be a genius fix if it works. What about getting another nipple to sacrifice on grinding duty, instead of the dowel? You could shave off the threads and weld it onto the dowel?

Steve Lake

now THATS an excellent mkII, thanks, will do exactly that, it means the seat will be set at the right angle ....

themoudie

Aye Steve,

Go and chill!  8)  Get the 'Doombar' in, with some good tasty fresh fish dishes, followed by something loaded with clotted cream and fruit!  ;D Worrying about your end angle will do you no good!  :-X

We have returned to sleet showers, with a cool nor'wester today, but I have still been out for an 80 mile fling and found a new to me, Italian cafe, with good Americano and chocolate fudge cake!  ;) Not a word to my dear wife, I nicked the Bros for the run as well!  :)

Happy paddling, Bill
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 05:36:46 PM by themoudie »

Steve Lake

‘Ere Bill me ‘ andsome ... it’s a bottle of Bordeaux tonight, courtesy of the cottage owners... will start on the proper job & tribute tomorrow  :)

themoudie

Aye Steve,

;D

Not really a fan of Bordeaux or Beujolly and then there is bordello!  :o :-X  Just make sure you don't collide with a bordillo after your imbibing , as that will put a dent in your rim  ;) and we don't want that!  ;)

Toodle pip

Steve Lake

plan 'A' seems to work a treat, repaired both calipers..... firstly got a drill bit , a snug fit into the nipple housing without damaging the thread, gently took out probably 20 thou of the seat, which left it looking good and even. then ground a stainless bolt shaft to a nice angled point approx the same as the nipple, ground the seat using it with fine valve paste, then Astonish paste, then brasso.....
hey presto, after the usual half hour pantomime we lovingly call ' bleedin srx brakes ' i got an excellent seal on the newly seated nipple.
this was for the rear brake on #6, the inner nipple had sheared a while back, and i'd used a bolt with a 'o' ring to seal it.... but mention was made of it at the last mot, and the brake was a bit spongy as obviously there was a bit of air left on that side.
brake is now really solid, well pleased with that. and i've sorted the weepy fuel tap with a service kit from M&P, also new pipes and filters.
just a few electric niggles to sort then #6 will be ready for MOT

themoudie

YES!  ;D

Keep the stove on in the shed over the next few days and I'm sure you'll sort it.

Toodle pip, Bill

Steve Lake

i think you're right Bill, we're about to get a dose of your crap weather dahn sarf now, so stove on, and lots of bits i can be getting on with (like swmbo list of repairs :-) )

mthee

You, Sir, are a motorcycle surgeon!

Steve Lake

all looking set fair on #6 & #8,
#6 has a leccy problem, which looks like a dodgy battery, so easily fixed, then MOT, hopefully for the weekend.
#8 is a bit of a bu55er , no sooner do i get one (or lots) thing done that summat else shows up. on close inspection the front tyre is showing signs of distress, cracking and uneven wear... so the plan here is to use the tyre off #1, (currently in bits on the bench awaiting me to finish gearbox repair), then, when (eventually) #1 is sorted, i can fit a nice new tyre to it.
then.... having sweated blood over the brakes on #8 and thinking all was now well sorted, i noticed brake fluid round the coupling on the r/h caliper, turns out the s/s pipe union is leaking (where the pipe is CRIMPED to the banjo, not a COMPRESSION nut sadly) so more expense  :-\ , i'll probably replace both the front pipes, and get a new one for the rear ....  you just can't be less than 100% with the braking system.,   i just can't wait to bleed all 3 brakes again  :-[ :-[ :-[,