Author Topic: XBR Passive Keyless Ignition  (Read 2493 times)

mthee

XBR Passive Keyless Ignition
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:43:44 PM »
I wasn't going to post because I'm not sure this constitutes a project, but it's cheap and really cheerful, so here it is.

I've had a great time learning new skills in order to put together a radio frequency identification, passive keyless ignition (RFID PKI) unit for my 31 year old bike.

Thumbing through YouTube after my key switch jammed, I came across a great tutorial by one Dan Jones, who had cleverly adapted a passive keyless entry (PKE) unit for a car to make a PKI for his electric motorcycle, by adding a system of relays.

Here's his video;     

I had to add additional relays to replicate the functionality the original 7 wire key switch and used the spare, normally closed contacts on the led button to ground the CDI. You do lose the handlebar lock and parking light, but I put in a small, 4 wire, CB550 ignition key switch as a backup and to get the parking light (key out) back for the MoT.

It's only a key, I know, but keyless really is a very different experience - a big grin on my chops at the petrol station, seeing the blue led button light up as I approached the bike and then just pressing it before kicking her over! The fob simply remains in a pocket of my jacket.

Also, on an old, low tech bike like the XBR, there is a definite visual impact to having a stainless led (choose your colour) button where the key barrel should be!

Everything ordered off Amazon (US and UK sites)

And here's a short video of it on the XBR;

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:05:50 PM by mthee »
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

Re: XBR Passive Keyless Ignition
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 04:22:25 PM »
You already know my thoughts Matt but just thought I'd share them with the rest of the TC members. Excellent stuff, think it's the bizzness. The tracker will defo be getting the treatment (at some stage 😁) cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »
Any thoughts as to where you're placing the button?

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
Yes in the triangular plate just in front of top rear shock mount where side panel would normally click into. I can/will weld a new slightly bigger piece in if it's required for button size??
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 04:35:38 PM »
Having no welding ability, I was going to mount mine where the new key switch is and keep the original key switch for the steering lock. However, the big kid in me wanted to see the light up close! I guess if I had shiny new cnc'd yolks to look at...! ;D
Here's all the bumf in one place for you for future reference;

PKE unit from Amazon in the US £23.97 arrives in 2 weeks no additional import charges.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096DLZLK

The button £12.20 at Amazon UK, arrives from China in 1 month or any 12v latching dpdt and other colour LEDs available;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Locking-Button-Switch/dp/B00DN1BFA2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519681890&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=12v+dpdt+relay+self+latching

I used these micro relays because they're sold for automotive use, as opposed to the ones on Dan's video which were bigger (but not by a lot) and for general use;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013EVWRSO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I understand you can spend more on quality relays, like Panasonic, but I've used cheapies for my headlight (always on) for over a year with no worries and I always test them before installing.

6 micro relays, taped together as per my photo, measure 90x23x60 (this last includes height of wiring loops)

Control unit measures 84(or 68 if you cut off ears each end) x50x20

Button is 25mm thread, 28mm across the face, 32mm nut and 42mm top to bottom of contacts (no connectors)

There's 2 small antennae, 50x22x5,  to hide up. I only used one because I wanted the fob to be out of range asap.

Although the switch is advertised as waterproof, I wanted some added protection, so I removed the innermost metal contact sleeve from this cheap accessory plug socket and reamed out the plastic before pressing my switch in on a vice. Then I sanded off the outer plastic thread and pressed it through the key barrel hole in the fusebox lid. The bottom part of the outer fitted nicely to protect the pins (see photo) and the mounting bracket held the new key switch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XDKTC2B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 05:05:09 PM by mthee »

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 04:44:39 PM »
now you suplement that with a system involving an ignition coil with the ht leads connected across the handlebars and footpegs and operated by turning on the original ignition switch. perfect theft deterrant, you run the bike with your keyless system and if some tealeaf triies robbing it and screwdrivers your ignition, you get to give him a perm.....

mthee

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 05:02:59 PM »
johnr for Home Secretary!

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »
Yes I'm with you on that one Matt 😁😁🤘

JOOLZ

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »
I like that keyless ignition :)

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »
My ES2 had keyless ignition from new........

Although I do appreciate the effort that's gone into this mod.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Oldtimer

• Where the hell has my life gone?
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 12:03:50 AM »
My ES2 had keyless ignition from new........

Although I do appreciate the effort that's gone into this mod.
And so did most old British bikes have keyless ignition. My Gold Star and B33 were an example.
Mike
Honda XBR500
Norton/BSA Gold Star DBD34 special

mthee

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »
Update is, I've taken this off until I can find a better quality relays I can afford, or better still, someone who can miniaturise the setup and/or reproduce their function in solid state - probably not affordable...
Not having used the bike much this year whilst doing it up, I found that relays are now randomly sticking. The control unit has also played up on a couple of occasions. I could replace the lot, but need peace of mind, so back to the good old keyed ignition for now and out with a lot of electrical baulk which is good as the XBR's new guise doesn't provide much hiding room.