Author Topic: Xmas TV  (Read 1050 times)

timbo

Xmas TV
« on: December 26, 2017, 12:06:48 AM »
Yes, you're probably thinking, why is this topic in recommendations, rather than rants. And you'd be right, cause there hasn't been much to write home about.
However, Dads Army, where Arthur Lowe plays Mainwarings drunken brother is a real classic. The other program that had me nearly leaking with laughter was the French and Saunders special.
Also the three new League of Gents progs, though I appreciate this isn't to everyone's tastes, as it can be very creepy.
And not forgetting the last series of Detectorists, beautiful, gentle comedy.
Namaste

SteveC#222

Re: Xmas TV
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 10:01:46 AM »
With you those Tim!  Strange how the old comedy is still funny while 90% of new 'comedy' isn't.  The exception is The Detectorists' - very cleverly written and funny but not in a ' here's the canned laughter so now you laugh' way. I think a lot of folks missed it as on first reading a comedy about metal detecting maybe doesn't sound much and it was on BBC4 but if you missed it watch it catch up, it's a real treat.
The music is pretty good too.

Anyone else watch Dave Gorman's "Modern Life is goodish" ?  A man and a powerpoint display but again clever and very funny.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »
Xmas Tv ?   no, i had to make do with the northern lights for two weeks,  and i was getting paid for it, no tv in the hotel anyway..
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

timbo

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:13:34 AM »
Yes, really like all Dave Gormans stuff. Read a great book by him a few years ago, where he travelled across the states, but didn't allow himself to use any of the big chains for fuel, food, or accom. In other words, just 'mom and pop' diners, gas stations and motels. Think it was a TV one off programme as well.
Glad to hear Santa is home, and I hope he is having a well earned rest  ;)
Namaste