Author Topic: Awakening my Harris Matchless  (Read 2249 times)

Half Ton

Awakening my Harris Matchless
« on: May 26, 2017, 07:27:53 AM »
This is the first time I have attempted anything like this as I am not much good at the old writing lark,But here goes.....I have finally got around to making a start on my Matchless tidy up !!!! It has basically been sat in a garage since 2007 when it got an MOT and covered 4 miles,Prior to this I don't think it was ridden for well over 15 to 20 years... :o  At least he sprayed it in oil before he put it away. (one previous owner and 6000 ish miles on the clock  :))

I have removed the seat which is not going back on,Never liked it as it is too high at the back,also taken the air box off as it has cracked in two places DNA filter is going on the carb instead,I have a DNA on my Bonneville and it flows more air than a K&N ... love DNA  ;D.
      The fuel tank has degreased and polished up very well and has no rust inside and the frame is looking like it is in a very good state under all the gunge,The tractor sized battery is also off and I might swap it for a lithium one as it weighs a ton (after doing some research ) I spoke to the chap at Sportax yesterday and think I will take the engine down to him and let him strip it and powder coat the lot...at least it will be sorted properly,I was going to have a 555 big bore conversion done, But I have decided to keep the engine stock and ride it as it is until I am sure it is a keeper.I should be removing the motor this weekend so I will take a pic or two and have a go at putting them on here ... fingers crossed as I am a photo and pooter muppet
        Ta very muchly  Steve P   :)

iansoady

Re: Awakening my Harris Matchless
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:09:20 AM »
Best of luck......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Half Ton

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 05:25:28 PM »
Thank you Ian......is that best of luck with getting pics on here .. or getting the Matchless running... ;D ;D ;D

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
All the best with the motor and re-commissioning Steve. Clarting everything up with oil appears to have been a saviour.

My regards, Bill

manxie

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
Hey Steve, I look forward to seeing it .... good luck  :)
1980 Yamaha XT250
1985 Honda ATC200
1998 1200 Bandit
1978 Bultaco Sherpa project (not started)
1968 Kawasaki F3 175 Bushwhacker (project in progress)

Half Ton

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 07:28:06 PM »
All the best with the motor and re-commissioning Steve. Clarting everything up with oil appears to have been a saviour.

My regards, Bill

Hello Bill,Yep he definitely didn't go sparingly with the ol crude,The problem is the dust and other unidentifiable detritus that has fossilised in it   ;D

Half Ton

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »

Hi Steve,It's still not for sale.. ;)  You must get one fella .... then I won't feel so lonely.. ::)

manxie

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »

Hi Steve,It's still not for sale.. ;)  You must get one fella .... then I won't feel so lonely.. ::)

I`d love one, if I could find one cheap  ;) ;) ;) Need to get rid of this bloody Cadillac first  ::) I may be getting another Skorpion though. I had the Sport version which was a great bike but the riding position made my arms go to sleep by the time I`d gone from Andreas to Windy Corner. So I`ve recently been offered the Traveller version, more upright position, so after TT I`m going to have a skeet at it  :)
1980 Yamaha XT250
1985 Honda ATC200
1998 1200 Bandit

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:58:45 PM »
Aye Steve yessir, you could of had 1st dibs on the Traveller, it went for £780-00 on Ebay that I posted in the 'For Sale' forum on this site. I'll keep a look out up here if you are still interested. I also know where there is a Tour lying, but I might need Stilsons to get it out of the man's hands!  ;)  He "collects" things!  ;)

Go canny with the loonies about and I hope that you are sucessful in punting the "aircraft carrier"!

My regards, Bill

manxie

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »
Hey Bill, how are you doin` yessir!! ;D ;D Yes, there a few loonies over already. The mountain was put one was yesterday for the TT fortnight and within an hour it was closed due to an accident  ::)  >:(

I saw the Traveller on ebay you posted, looked good and was a bargain at £780. I did contact the seller via his other advert but got the impression he was looking for around 1600 for it?? The aircraft carrier failed it`s test this week so no rolling road block over the TT period from me..... could have been fun?  ;)

Sorry for high-jacking your thread Steve, let`s get back to discussing the lovely the Matchless!!!!!
1980 Yamaha XT250
1985 Honda ATC200
1998 1200 Bandit

Half Ton

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
A Traveller looks nice Steve ... You could get it covered in wood like the Moggy Minors   ;D ,Do they come with panniers as standard ,

And as for the high-jacking bit,No problem as the Triumph forum I go on usually ends up with 4 + pages of waffle after a couple of posts on topic.....it gets quite entertaining ;)

manxie

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 02:19:08 PM »
Good idea Steve, turn the Traveller into a real Traveller  ;D Not sure about the panniers, I know when you google images they all seem to have them, but the one I`m looking at doesn`t??
1980 Yamaha XT250
1985 Honda ATC200
1998 1200 Bandit

timbo

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
As a recent owner of an MZ Silver Star, I'm looking forward to your Matchless musings Steve.
I was on the blower with Minter this afternoon, the owner of Sportax. A really helpful fella who certainly knows his onions regarding Rotax engines. I needed a carb inlet manifold for the MZ, which differs from the Armstrong one, as its curved. Great to actually speak to a knowledgeable person, who told me the part number straight away, and how to order off his site  :)
Namaste

Half Ton

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
Got to agree with you Timbo,"Minter" does seem well clued up at Sportax...He's getting my engine in the very near future   :)  I was hoping to pull it out of the frame today but took the day off and went to Kettleborough jumble instead,This whole bike sort out lark is quite a worry,I really want to make it "mine" but am very aware that there aren't many about, So I need to be able to put it back to original at some point if required.At the moment I will probably be losing the speedo, rev counter and idiot lights and going for a small speedo with a sensor, new (single)seat (original is damaged)  and h/lamp (original one is quite rusty) new exhaust system (again very rusty original) and renthal bars, alloy rear mudguard...the Royal Enfield one is not a bad price.Then top it off with a rear rack/pannier frames for my camping gear.....This will all probably change over the coming weeks   :-[ ::)

guest2083

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »
I'll be interested to see how you get on too. I must get to Kettleburgh sometime, it's not very far from here but somehow I never get around to going, yesterday it was just knowing that I'd no money to buy anything I might spot but hopefully come the next I might be a bit better off.