Author Topic: Wheel building  (Read 342 times)

timbo

Wheel building
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:52:36 PM »
Got a bit carried away earlier, and totally stripped a pair of wheels, mainly cause all the spokes on one appeared to be loose, and so I can get at the hubs to clean them up properly, and cause the rims are rusty and I fancy getting my pal Terry to blast and paint them,and finally, cause I want to learn how to spoke wheels. Ultimately I won't be stuck, as I've a friend who is a very experienced and skilled wheel builder  ;)
Any of you folks spoked a set of wheels before? Also, I want to paint the spokes, any tips?
Namaste

500 T C

Re: Wheel building
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
Yes, I have spoked a few wheels, patience and a keen eye, will do it.
  Did you check the offset from the rim to the hub, before dismantling? If not, could be tricky. :o

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 02:42:59 PM »
Aye tim,

Yes. Patience and carefull measuring afore dismantling, of wheel rim distance from the hub from both sides!  :-\  The article in Classic Mechanics from 'Way back' is useful, will send via WeTransfer if required.

As for painting, I would suggest two-pack on un-polished stainless rather than powder coat. But if expense is a problem then mild steel with two-pack. If you can bear to wait a wee while, I could obtain specifics from an experienced man in the IoM!

I'm off for my lunch!  ;D

Good health, Bill

timbo

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 08:52:43 PM »
Thanks folks. Measured everything up before hand and took a couple of pics. So I should be OK. Spokes aren't that bad, but its one of them, where do you stop, once you have it all apart. Clean up the hubs, and paint the rims, and I'm sure the spokes will look s****. So, paint them, I must  ;)
Namaste

Ian

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 11:31:45 PM »
 I rebuilt a pair of SR400 wheels a couple of years ago. I bought a set of genuine spokes which believe it or not we're the cheapest option at the time.  I also measured up everything as you have done Tim. I made a crude fixture from 3 bits of MDF with a "vee" at the top of the 2 side pieces to allow the spindle to sit in. I also used a DTI to check the run out which isn't really needed as you could use a pin and some plasticine!
Hope this helps. Regards Ian
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 11:33:16 PM by Ian :) »
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

500 T C

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
don't depend too much on a DTI .If the run out is within 1mm, that is good.The rim section was in a coiled section before being made in to a wheel,if you get it dead true,it will be a degree of luck.