Author Topic: xr500r spark problem  (Read 380 times)

guest1962

xr500r spark problem
« on: March 21, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
I am restoring a 1982 xr500r that I bought from a guy that couldn't solve the spark problem. It ca.email with several used cdis and coils. I checked them all out with a multimeter And determined which cdis was good and that I needed a new.coil and pick up which I obtained. I bench tested the wiring on the motor ND got strong spark. I put the motor back in and connected all wires as show in Clymers.  Now I am getting a double spark. Yue only thing I think I did different was connect the harness wires to  the front and back lights and leave themost unconnected at the lights.  I connected 1 ground to the engine aND 1 to the cdis mount. Could the double spark be power meant for the lights and I need to switch wires or is it the grounding? I will continue up to trouble shoot today.

Smithy

Re: xr500r spark problem
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:45:25 AM »
Hi there

What do you mean by a double spark? I thought the lighting circuit and ignition circuit were seperate things so shouldn't impact on one another. Go through the wiring diagram again and make sure everything is as it should be because it seems you have what you need to make the bike run.

Propellor

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
Wasted spark ignition?

A spark every Rev. That's common.
BEIGE is all the rage

JOOLZ

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 03:18:51 PM »
Yes spark at the top and bottom of the engine stroke, thats normal, check the ignition timing and kick it over and see if it will start

SteveC#222

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Does it have an automatic decompressor linked by cable to the kickstart like the XBR?  If so check that it is properly adjusted. I had loads of problems trying to get the XBR to start after it had been stored over winter and thought it was a spark problem. Checked everything, swapped everything, in the end most of the problem was a badly adjusted decompressor that was decompressing at the wrong moment. I readjusted it and problem sorted.  Just a thought.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!