Author Topic: Honda xl250r cam journal problem  (Read 1210 times)

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
Re: Honda xl250r cam journal problem
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 07:53:56 AM »
Excellent. I have been following this thread with interest.

At least this is real world and has a value EH!

As soon as I can get at my RS I'm gonna take the top end off just to have a look at this.

Steve
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

Moto63

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »
What's the point in that??  "get a life and go ride your bike"

Propellor

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Congratulations mehranx on what seems to be a success.

Well done!  :)
BEIGE is all the rage

guest564

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2015, 07:19:15 PM »
I have just had a look at the manual and it says that the bearings can be replaced by needle roller bearings, which leads me to think that there is NO pressure feed to the plain bearing surfaces! In which case how is the camshaft lubricated?
I haven't got a head to examine so tis is purely speculation, but the lubrication can be only from 'splash' in the area. In which case it will not make much difference to have a gap in the 'shells', which may help lube in that area.

From what I recall the oil comes up one of the stud holes and in through the end of the camshaft, then out through holes in the cam in the bearing areas. The pressure is very low but the casting around the lobes forms 'buckets' which the lobes pick up oil from, these 'buckets' ensure that there is plenty of oil on start up.

guest1931

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Hi
In the first 200km run every thing is ok,noise decreased,unbelievable!
I already checked the oil frequently in sequence so far.My method is drip engine oil on a white paper,waiting for a minute lets oil absorbed by paper.Metal particles,chips or such stuff remains on paper face,which  can be seen or sensed by finger touch.I wonder if I find phosphor bronze particles.But result is:no kind of particles,yet.
This oil should be checked after a running time for a accurate test.
There is just a noise due to extra valve clearance.After 1000 km this would be adjusted.