Author Topic: XBR600 CX500 tank  (Read 617 times)

JOOLZ

XBR600 CX500 tank
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »
Finished spraying the new tank and pillion cover for the XBR, its turned out well

Attachment Expired

themoudie

Re: XBR600 CX500 tank
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
That looks rather posh Joolz and very nice.

Any tips on prep and equipment or lack of it as the case may be, please? All I seem to achieve is the 'ripple' finish, regardless of whether it is a raspberry colour or not!  :(

I can "flat back" till the cows come home and have the surface like a babies bum, but can't get the paint to flow, so don't even get as far as the lacquer finish. Hence the preference for the 'original' oily rag finish!   :)

Thanks.

My regards, Bill.

JOOLZ

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:56:30 AM »
This was done from rattle cans, and I must admit its the best result I have achieved spraying to date.
Make sure you spray it until it looks wet, not enough spray and it wont merge with what you have already done (dont over do it or it could run) very fine line here.
I tried a new technique when spraying, after rubbing flat with 2000 grade wet, I polished the paintwork with a dry lint free cloth (took a good hour) until it shined then applied the next layer of paint and repeated, 5 coats later and a coat of lacquer and this was the result, also it has been very warm, and that has helped with getting a good finish
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 11:13:32 AM by JOOLZ »

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »
Aye Joolz,

The patience of a Saint and luck with the weather, but a cracking result.

I've never flatted back with 2000 grade and would agree with the wet and even a wee touch of the 'Fairy', just to lift the cut material. Buffing with a dry lint free is what I do aluminium with at times and I agree that will help. All in all  ;D !

It's what your right arms for unless you're corry fisted!  ;)

Thank you for the insight.

My regards, Bill.

guest295

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:39 AM »
Make sure the primer is compatible with the finish coats. Otherwise the finish paint crinkles the primer and you have to sand it all off. Mount the victim on a bar of wood so you can rotate it. Spray wet and keep the part moving so gravity isn't pulling the paint in any one direction. Provide good ventilation but no wind. When you've got one good coat on, keep turning the piece until the paint has set, then apply the next coat. When you're happy with it, let it sit for a little while and apply clear coat in the same way. Don't touch it for a day or so. Heat helps.

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
Thank you for the additional tips GB500nz.

I trust your winter season is treating you well, with not many deluges etc?

Good health.

My regards, Bill.

guest295

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
Very wet just now, thanks. And of course lots of wind.

Cheers, Terry