Author Topic: MZ skorpion ,connecting rod  (Read 3977 times)

Ian

MZ skorpion ,connecting rod
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:21:45 PM »
My MZ just eaten another con rod either that or something just as expensive judging by the loud knocking.

It's heading for surgery in the next couple of days ,Nil by carb till then.

Has anyone tried these con rods ?

http://www.corsemeccanica.com/mz_skorpion.htm

If so will they stand up to a 102mm high compression piston ?

At $179.00 = £91.55  I could afford a box full ,The rate I'm going through con rods I need a box full !

The reason I ask is that a Carrillo is £264.38 :o(

beeman

Re: MZ skorpion ,connecting rod
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:12:52 PM »
I thought A man of your means would have the Ti option??

Only £495 to you sir.

I'll get my coat
We all get Heavier as we get Older because there is a lot more information in our heads

Ian

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 12:13:06 AM »
I thought A man of your means would have the Ti option??

Only £495 to you sir.

I'll get my coat

That's  $495 not quite so bad as £495 still more what's in the bank ......

I got round to draining the oil off , It looks like it's got glitter in it , 4 bikes and not one runner .

bikeseamus

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:42:06 PM »

As of one minute ago, there is a brand new still in wrapper Carillo rod for a Yamaha Raptor 660 on Ebay Motors, USA.

It is being sold by someone who abandoned a project, and has a buy it now of 95 USD.

Item # 170085445336.          Hope this helps you, as it sure is strong enough to take anything on top.

I assume it is fully interchangable with our Skorpions, but check with someone you trust.

I can also state that here in the US many people are having good luck with complete Hot Rods crank and rod assemblies for Yamaha Raptors.
                                 They cost 250 USD, and a friend of mine has sold eight of them to Raptor Racers in the last year, and has encountered no problems.
                                                   They are lighter than the MZ cranks, and the rods are reputably as strong as Carillos.

The cranks come fully assembled, and my friend put one on a stand to check it out.  It was within .001 in every direction, and the quality is top notch.
                                                  Hope this helps you.

Ian

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
Thanks for that bikeseamus would of been Ideal .
But the seller won't ship outside the US .

There must be something as good as a Carillo rod available in the UK ? at a little less ££

Raptor cranks have smaller ends than the Skorpions
So I would have change the bearings and replace the alternator this would eat any saving made on buying a Raptor crank assembly   :(

It's looking like my credit card is in for a beating !

guest27

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »
BHuy it - ship it to Seamus and he ships it on...?

bikeseamus

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 12:56:26 AM »

I would certainly do that, to help a fellow MZ rider.

These things have a way of coming around, as we have better access to some things, and vice versa.

You make the call.   I can simply forward it on to you in the method of your choice.
  No sweat.

bikeseamus

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 12:41:49 AM »

The new Carrillo rod went for 56 USD, so you might keep an eye out for one on ebay USA.

Not many people will refuse to ship overseas.    The guy was a clown, and undoubtedly lost money as a result.

A guy in Denmark wanted it also.   The seller was a California Raptor racer wannabe......probably doesn't know how to follow through on anything.           

Corsemeccanica are good honest and competent people that know and build good racebikes, if that is a better option.

Ian

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 01:37:49 PM »

I would certainly do that, to help a fellow MZ rider.

These things have a way of coming around, as we have better access to some things, and vice versa.

You make the call.   I can simply forward it on to you in the method of your choice.
  No sweat.

bikeseamus,

Thanks for the offer of shipping it on to me .
If I'd had the time to check the forum in the past couple of days I would have bought it !

Thanks again........I will keep this in mind for the next one...

Ian

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »

The new Carrillo rod went for 56 USD, so you might keep an eye out for one on ebay USA.

Not many people will refuse to ship overseas.    The guy was a clown, and undoubtedly lost money as a result.

A guy in Denmark wanted it also.   The seller was a California Raptor racer wannabe......probably doesn't know how to follow through on anything.           

Corsemeccanica are good honest and competent people that know and build good racebikes, if that is a better option.

Oh !*@@@@! !!@@@@@@@ *!@*  That's less than £30.00 ,he gave it away !
I missed out big time on that !

I though I might get in touch with Corsemeccanica if nothing else shows up on EBay by the end of the month .

Bikeseamus ,
If there's anything You need UK assistance or shipping give me a shout anytime.

The past few days I've been camping in the garage !
Fitted a XBR engine in the frame.
Re-built one of the Skorpion engines but it's not in a bike yet....Only because I dropped it on my hand ,
Nothings broken just a few scratches on the front of the engine...Hand hurts like hell.

bikeseamus

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:54:20 AM »

Thanks
                I'll keep an eye on this forum, and do what I can to help. An alternative for your rod problem is maybe use a stock raptor rod. They rip up to 10,000 RPMs without a problem all day long, so they are bound to be stronger than the MZ spec rods.   I may be able to pick the rods up fairly cheaply here, because many people build up their Raptors here for racing.

Again.........  ask someone you trust who gets their hands dirty on them for a living.  I can't say for certain.

You may be aware that the new Raptors are now 700ccs, and are now injected.  What benefits this may hold for us in the future, partswise, I don't know, as I haven't conducted any research yet on interchangeability.

I will say, however, that it is always a rush among racers to get the biggest and best to win, so we may just be in for a massive dumping of 660 parts of every description here.

As they say.............  Stand by for further developments. 

As for something you guys may have access to over there, I will ask whether you in the UK have been recieving fairings on sportbikes that contain the small passing lights in them. 

All North American spec fairings have that opening blanked out with a plastic plate, including the MZs.

Many of us would love to be able to install a light into those openings, and the part is unavailable to us because of some bureaucratic horseshit I am unaware of.

My 93 models FJ 1200 and TDM 850 and my 98 YZF 750r would all take the same light, but I don't know which bikeyard in the UK or Europe ends up with the cracked up bikes, and would mail parts to North America.

Any assistance on this would most certainly be reciprocated, without fail.

If anyone has any questions or requests, just ask.                      Cool for now.                      Thanks.

bikeseamus

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 01:02:27 PM »
Hi
  I did a little research on who is doing what with the 660cc Yamaha engine over here, and this is what I came up with.

Crank Works, in Arizona, and Craycraft Racing seem to be engineering giganto horsepower into their engines and have been taking most of the big tall blue trophies and cash away from the races.

Craycraft Racing has a nasty 760cc engine package that rips long and deep holes in the ground, and have built the World's Fastest Raptor,and Crank Works of Arizona builds nearly indestructable crank assemblies for all types of racing.

Both have Sterling reputations and are reputably very friendly and helpful, like most champion motorheads are.

Crank Works probably throws away more good Stock Raptor Rods than anyone else, and may just sell them cheap and send them over for a song.
                                                                 It may be a source of stronger MZ rods, very cheaply obtained.

Crank Works also stocks Falicon, Pro X, Carrillo,and Hot Rods connecting rods, any of which would certainly solve anyone's
weak MZ rod problem.  They are also developing a new rod of their own for 760cc or more race kits, and it looks like it will be stronger than a Carrillo.
                                           Check out the photo of the new rod on their website at  www.crankworks.com.
 It is dead serious business, and a beauty to behold.
                                                                           Hope this helps someone over there, as bikes are infinitely more fun when they aren't broken and can be properly thrashed without unwelcome knocking or explosions.

Besides that, it is inconsiderate to dump engine oil and pieces on the road.

andy230

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 03:00:40 PM »
hello,

Mike Edwards has just got his 84ish bhp motor running.

From his site : www.gordonsalive.com

---------
Martin and Roy at Slipstream did their magic it should be between 82-84bhp.

I think I will be able to feel the difference for sure!

It now has a Raptor crank so will spin up quicker and been bored and stroked to take the capacity from 659 to 760. All the starter gears and starter motor are gone, the water pump has been replaced by a electric one too. The clutch basket has been replaced with a 6 spring type to take the extra power. Lighter larger valves, lumpy cam and a pair of 39mm Keihin carbs all help

-------

cheers

a

Ian

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »
Hi Andy,
Is there a hand full of salt with that ? rub gently ?

Well I've got 3 con rods that are shot ! The best one lasted a whole 15 minutes of riding.
I've only killed 2....

Hi Bikeseamus,

The light your after is it the little one at the top of this fairing ? Ebay item : 110099281415
If it is ,it's the same one fitted to the Skorpion sport only the other way up ,they don't appear without the fairings on Ebay very often you might do better buying a new one from BSA regal I know that they ship to the USA . I would buy only one just to make sure It's what your after !
Or I could phone a few breakers for you...

Re : Raptor con rods,
I was told that they are the same part as the MZ /Yamaha con rod by a guy that works at Slipstream racing.
I need to put something stronger in as I don't want to do it more than once on either engine ( this week )
With the lighter crank they might have an easy er life, But for 10,000 RPM I don't know I'd be expecting it to fly out.

I like the look of crank works ,As soon as I get the cash spare I'll be dropping them and Corsemeccanica an Email ,
Hopefully the postage won't be to much.

I'll have to make do with the car for now :(

bikeseamus

running/passing light
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 02:15:26 AM »
Mr XBRMZ
                  That's the one.   

Do you have those little units wired into the passing button on the left handlebar controls in Europe and the UK?

I'm sure I can install some kind of penetrator bulb in that little cutie pie and it would help me at night, but if your factory yamaha parts over there are anything like ours they probably want about a jillion bucks for that liddle thang.

It's certainly no panic, but if you run across any in your junkyard journeys you might keep me in mind.

Seems as though the yards would end up with quite a few munched up YZF, FZR, FJ,ZX, and other sport type fairings.

It does look as though it would interchange with the MZ.... maybe there is a universal size you all use in the UK and Europe?
                Glad you told me Raptor and MZ rods are identical, though I am trying to think how a decently balanced engine of any flywheel weight would be harder on an identical rod at 7200 RPM than 10,000 RPM.

I guess a heavier flywheel takes its toll, which makes me want to switch to a lighter Raptor Crank, because my friend the local Yamaha dealer has had no crank problems since 2001 in any of the hundreds he has sold, and nearly all have been mercilessly thrashed and raced.

My MZ shuts down at around an indicated 7200 RPMs, because I've been frightened away from hooking my extra TDM CDI to it by hearing about experiences like yours.

Have you been knocking rods out of it at those kind of Revs?           

I am curious, because I have always found it prudent to listen and watch how things break.

I don't want to build the engine up but once, if possible, and it seems I can buy good tight low hour stock raptor cranks with rods over here all day long for about 25 USD plus postage on ebay, and dual float raptor carb sets for about 50.

Better to have 5 3000 buck bikes than one 15000 buck bike, if you hear me on that.

I do appreciate your running/passing light information.... which is it.... ?          Thanks again,  Jim