Author Topic: Calling Steffan  (Read 2008 times)

Alan

Calling Steffan
« on: February 18, 2007, 03:21:29 PM »
Hi Steffan
Do you have the wiring diagram for a Muz Scorpion?
If so any chance of a copy?

Regards
Alan

Ian

Re: Calling Steffan
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 09:34:53 PM »
Alan,

If you can't get hold of Steffan you can down load it from here :-)

http://www.mzskorpion.de/

Open , Racing / Tuning , scroll down to it , Schaltplane als Zip (0.8mb) 

A bit of browsing you'll find some cool photos

srx6

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:37:55 AM »
Top man,Thanks fot that

Regards
Alan

Steffan

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
Alan,
Sorry I've been crook again, I assume that you're all sorted now?

Steffan

srx6

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 08:36:51 AM »
Thanks Steffan for your reply.XBRMZ sorted me out with a web site with all the drawings on.

Regards
Alan

Steffan

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 05:33:07 PM »
I did the valves on mine yestersay, a day after taxing it, and managed to set them all on the wrong stroke doh!
So we'll have to wait and see if there if I have buggered anything, otherwise there might be a stunningly tidy spares or repairs going on the list

<wanders off muttering>

Steffan

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 10:14:07 PM »
I did the valves on mine yestersay, a day after taxing it, and managed to set them all on the wrong stroke doh!
So we'll have to wait and see if there if I have buggered anything, otherwise there might be a stunningly tidy spares or repairs going on the list

<wanders off muttering>

Steffan

Did it clatter a bit ?

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

Steffan

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 09:47:37 AM »
It did indeed before it refused to start. It made what I would call an unwilling to start sound. At first it behaved like it had a flat battery whine but no more then an unpleasant noise at which point I thought better of pressing matters

Steffan

PS Thanks for the advice Jethro

Steffan

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 03:37:19 PM »
Having got everything back to where it should be, or at least as close as my meagre talents will permit it would appear that I have been reprieved and that the Skorpion lives again. No funny noises from the engine, no clatter or chatter, if anything it sounds and feels a little free-er than before so inshallah I can now proceed to ride the arse off the thing. After all the trouble, time, money and worry I have sweated over that bike I figure it owes me quite a few miles.

steffan

the relieved!

PS I love this club, as it says on the tin, its about mates riding bikes and this little misadventure certainly brought that home to me.

srx6

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »
Glad to hear that you havent done any damage.I have managed to wire my project and have got a spark at the plug.Do you know what the thingy is in the fuel line that bolts to the right of the engine ?Is it some sort of pump?If so how does it work as it is not electrical so i presume it works by vacume some how?

Regards
Alan

Steffan

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 05:30:37 PM »
Fuel pump, works off the vacuum, most everyone I know just chucks it, myself included. It is vestigial of when this motor was used in the XTZ and the tank saddles hung below the carb. I would just bin it or give it to someone with a big Yam trailee. Removing it has the advantage of cleaning up the lines and making an already pretty bike even more so.

Steffan

PS you will need to blank off the line from the inlet manifold or fit a Scottoiler and then just re-route the fuel from the tank to the carb which is a bit of a fiddle as there is only a couple of inches between then and the inlet to the carb is facing the wrong way.

srx6

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 06:34:55 AM »
Thanks for that.Bin it is.
Regards
Alan

andi230

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »
Fuel pump, works off the vacuum, most everyone I know just chucks it, myself included.

Wow...!

I didn't know that.  May well do that (when it packs up).  Tho is there a risk that a dynojetted carb set up, and slightly hot (ie. thirstier) motor will suck the carbs dry?

Cheers...

andy

Steffan

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
I am not really competent (see previous posts)  to answer your question Andy, although I would say that it would seem less likely with the carb plumbed directly to the tank than running it through a pump which at the end of the day only works off the vacuum of the inlet manifold.

steffan

Steve H

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
I'm inclined to agree with Steffan that the pump isnt required. However, I have read that carbs that use vacumm pumps have different sized float valves. Thinking about it this sort of makes sense. The idea of the pump is to feed to carbs with fuel, to do this it needs to generate some form of pressure. If thie pressure is too great it will over come the float valve and flood the carb. I suspect they fit smaller float valves to compensate for the increased pressure (smaller area will require less force from the float to close the float valve). Because of the increased pressure, even though they are smaller they flow the same amount.
So in summary I suspect Andy has a point that wiithout the pump and running at full throttle the float chamber 'could' run dry. Interestingly the pump is at its least effective at large throttle openings (low vacuum), so works the opposite to what the engine needs.