Author Topic: xbr500 wheel bearings  (Read 598 times)

fenatic

xbr500 wheel bearings
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
Hi all
Anyone got any tips on removing the rear wheel bearings on the xbr? I had a look today and they have a kind of tube/bush between the bearings meaning I cannot get a drift to the outer race from the other side - the manual mentions special tools.... Whats the technique before I start bashing?
Thanks
Mark

guest295

Re: xbr500 wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »
I just used a drift or long screwdriver. The spacer tube moves around enough to let you get at the inner race. Make sure you whack on alternate sides of the race so the bearing comes out square. they are standard bearings available from any bearing house.

guest833

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »
I've just got an xbr to break and the previous guy had just had it done and was going to put it back together then lost interest- i can sell you the cush thingy with the new bearing in if you want?
Let me know- 07990 810934
John

fenatic

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
Thanks for the offer Simmo, but I've got a spare cush drive/sprocket holder and the bearing is fine.
 In fact its also a spare wheel Im fitting the bearings to. Im only swopping cos I think this one has a less oval brake lining. The existing wheel bearings are not too bad (just that their unsealed and the wheels been knocking round the shed for ages) which is why I asked. I didnt want to start bashing and knacker them if it was going to turn into an awkward job when I have the alternative of just regreasing.
Also thanks for the reply GB500nz I've got the bearings now and will have go when I get round to it - now we have some sunshine at last, I'd rather be riding the bike than working on it! :)
Cheers
Mark