Author Topic: royal enfield G-series (1956) no spark?  (Read 6657 times)

gordy2169

Re: royal enfield G-series (1956) no spark?
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
hi all
sry its been so long  john i think i got banned from this site or something ?? still i can post again now so heres the up date she's now running and very well too got a filter in the fuel as will have to slush the tank as the guy was saying but it expensive and i dont have the cash need to get it tho as my gs has a split in the seam (2 birds with 1 can) finding it very hard to get used to the gears upside down and back to front lol im going to change the pipes as it pisses fuel out every where at the mo! and im trying to find the correct oil ? ive got some lead additive on order will pick up tomorrow and then its the m.o.t

we did it ol bean woo...

thx again for all ya help advice ect... and sry for long wait for reply

gordy2169

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 04:07:03 PM »
oh and i got a seal kit coming from amal for the carb !
would you know what oil to use and im thinking of getting new spark plug its a "lodge h14" but i cant find a match for it? its a tri-ark (3 contacts) thought that was a modern thing !

i since found a shop that still do the lodge h14 but thay out of stock :-(
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:56:16 AM by gordy2169 »

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:01 AM »
get some straight 50 monograde in it. its a pretty low tech thing so i wouldnt get too carried away with expensive oil. tbh i run my bsa on morrisons cheap 20-50, its about 5 quid a gallon but as it leaks a bit and burns a bit i cant see the expense of buying something like miller monograde 50. glad youve got it running. as for the fuel filter. the crap you will be cleaning from the carb will be almost entirely powdered rust. so stick one of them neobdynium(sp!) magnets to your fuel filter and it will stop the debris from reaching your carb.

gordy2169

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
they do classic motor oil in a motor spares shop on my road think it was mono 30 and mono 50 and its not too bad price wise (£19.99 for 5ltr i think)

i also worked out why i could post pics before it was cos my camera is too high res so i will borrow a lesser 1 so i can show ya the fruit of our labors lol

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
morrisons oil is 4.99 a gallon!!!!! ;D

gordy2169

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 07:26:44 PM »
lol thought you must have meant per ltr wow that is cheap

gordy2169

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 09:25:09 PM »
just took her out for a spin as i got mot in the morn she runs well at stand still but loses power when your riding tryed moving the retard that just kills it i gess the timing is still out??? although she will start great????

gordy2169

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
passed mot, still have power issues! what would you say top end should be ?

gordy2169

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
choke was stuck lol runs like a dream now

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 10:23:03 PM »
great news mate, glad you got it sorted, now lets have some pictures!!! ;D

gordy2169

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
sry for the long gap bettween posts ive had a lot on me plate of late.
hope you had a good xmas!
still cant put pics on as i only have a 12mpx cam so pic file size is to big ill see what i can do.
what oil would you use for the gearbox and the chain case? or can you use the same as the engine oil?

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
gearbox needs a heavy oil like straight 90, or liquid grease, you can get it on ebay, classic bike shops do it, the very thick oil is less prone to leaking out of the joins in the casings, also vent the engine breather into the chaincase, just to help it out. dont use engine oil, it will piss out everywhere and you'll forever be apologising for your old incontinent  bike!  as for pics, if you upload them to photobucket or a similar online photo site (theyre free too) when you put them on, you can resize them down small enough to use as an avatar if you want, or just small enough to use on this site if you want.
and happy xmas to you too

gordy2169

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »
nice one thx again oh wise guru lol !!
the chain case just needs a small puddle or bath at the bottom right?

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
just a small puddle, what i did was to heat some grease up in an old pan till it melts (obviously do it outside, it stinks!) when its runny like oil pour it in the chaincase, enough to cover the chain so more than it needs really. then run the engine for a while or take it out for a spin. the grease will get flung over everything in the casing. then park it up and leave it to cool down. as the glease cools and sets, you have a layer of grease all round the outside where the case gasket is, which is so thick it will stop the oil you put in leaking out. when you have let it cool, put in a bit of oil just enough to cover the chain. not orthadoq, and it wont be a permanent cure to leaky chaincases. but it will slow them to nearly nothing.

gordy2169

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
was out on a spin with me brother when the chain case bolts came out had to do a road side bodge with what we could scrape together beg borrow and steal lol just reminded me of days out with the old man.
also  the regulator is blown, they are about 30 35 quid for a replica but as its hidden in the side panel i was thinking any old 6v regulator would do right? or could i get it fixed?
going to work on uploading the pix in the next week

happy new year mate