Author Topic: Llanthoney Priory, this weekend  (Read 1652 times)

guest7

Llanthoney Priory, this weekend
« on: November 23, 2006, 10:15:56 PM »
I will there on Saturday afternoon, on Liz's bike as my outfit still has no brakes (no spare time this week).

Looking forward to a nice drink and chinwag.

Cheers
GC

Dave Keeling

Re: Llanthoney Priory, this weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 04:07:42 PM »
I hope to come down on Sunday morning for a chat and scrounge a cuppa. I could do with a decent ride this time of year.
    Dave

Nathan

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 04:37:44 PM »
Although I wanted to make the journey, i wont be making it.
and now ive seen the weather i dont think ill mind too much.

id advise taking some extra pegs, seeing its going to be the windiest day of the year.

Have fun though. ill keep an eye out for the next one.

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »
I'm pleased to say that I managed to get back home despite the problems with the 'Big'
The Friday night run down from Huddersfiereld to Lanthoney was the most challenging trip I have done for many a year. Riding blind in that rain on unfamiliar roads in pitch black for over four hours was quite exhausting. From Hay on Wye over the mountains was the worst with most of the single track road under water and visibility virtually nil. But the most welcoming sight was the pub at Llanthoney and the beer and the B&B therein.
Great to meet up with the lads and the usual banter.
A Relay in the bike that I had put on to power the heated jacket, heated twist grips and GPS flattened the battery and took out the main fuse!.Julian has lent me a spare battery that I used to get me back home, many thanks Julian, as I had to stop for fuel and needed it just the once to fire the beast up again.
Hot wired the GPS lead to get me back home successfully.
When I set off I reprogrammed the thing to just get me back home and hey presto it took me over the very same road that I had come in on! If I had seen that road in the daylight there would have been no way that I would have attempted it on the Friday night! Narrow twisty track covered in wet leaves, tight corners with drops to the side, road works where they had just cut out chunks of tarmac and left unnattended holes all over the place, of course in the rain these had just filled with rain! Glad I was on the DR.
But a great ride home in the sunshine.

Again Many thanks to Julian and hope to see some of the guys again at the next Dragon.

.........and yes it was quite amusing to see GC using Pats stove to cook!

SteveD
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

guest7

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 09:53:04 PM »
Hmmmm... having my most expensive and high tech stove fail was a bit of a gutter alright.

What a great weekend though! Simon Morgan and I arrived to find Julian in attendance, Jethro settling in and Steve Dalby had popped into town after a wet ride down on Friday night. Llanthony is a ruined priory and it is very pretty:

Soon we were joined by our sidecar riding chum Tim, then Steffan and Pat. Richard arrived later after a hard day's DIY.

We had a nice hour or two drinking beer around Julian's Jiko before we retired to the bar. We spent the night in happy carousing and it's safe to say we all had a good night's sleep.

Sunday morning was ushered in by Julian blasting out 'Bad Moon Rising' on his sidecar sound system.

Before we left Dave Keeling arrived.

Then we set off for a coffee at Abergavenny bus station, a biker meeting place.

After that I belted back home to see my kids and receive my birthday presents... I'm drinking one of them as I type :-)

A really nice weekend. Thank you to all who attended, it was a hoot.

GC

p.s. piccies courtesy of Dave Keeling

jules

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 06:46:22 PM »
I'm pleased to say that I managed to get back home despite the problems with the 'Big'
The Friday night run down from Huddersfiereld to Lanthoney was the most challenging trip I have done for many a year. Riding blind in that rain on unfamiliar roads in pitch black for over four hours was quite exhausting. From Hay on Wye over the mountains was the worst with most of the single track road under water and visibility virtually nil. But the most welcoming sight was the pub at Llanthoney and the beer and the B&B therein.
Great to meet up with the lads and the usual banter.
A Relay in the bike that I had put on to power the heated jacket, heated twist grips and GPS flattened the battery and took out the main fuse!.Julian has lent me a spare battery that I used to get me back home, many thanks Julian, as I had to stop for fuel and needed it just the once to fire the beast up again.
Hot wired the GPS lead to get me back home successfully.
When I set off I reprogrammed the thing to just get me back home and hey presto it took me over the very same road that I had come in on! If I had seen that road in the daylight there would have been no way that I would have attempted it on the Friday night! Narrow twisty track covered in wet leaves, tight corners with drops to the side, road works where they had just cut out chunks of tarmac and left unnattended holes all over the place, of course in the rain these had just filled with rain! Glad I was on the DR.
But a great ride home in the sunshine.

Again Many thanks to Julian and hope to see some of the guys again at the next Dragon.

.........and yes it was quite amusing to see GC using Pats stove to cook!

SteveD
steve you can keep that battery i dident want to tell you that because you would have tried to give me money for it,anyway i have found another one, you can get me a pint at the dragon

Steffan

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 07:04:46 PM »
Meanwhile, Richard and I headed off over Hay bluff. Crossing vast puddles and dodging 4 wheel drives that seem to be in the midst of a Sunday migration. The highlight was a very near head-on on the Enfield with a Jeep something or other, on a down hill stretch and a blind corner. It is moments like that which make you realise how crap drum brakes really are. The Bluff negotiated we blatted over to Breacon for breakfast (I didn't borrow Pat's stove) at which point Richard took over Enfield duty so I could listen to the exhaust note till Llandovery. I never thought I would use words like smooth and quiet to discribe the XT but by comparison it is all that. After a quick gander at the bikes outside the cafe we headed home, Richard to even further DIY but for myself, later I popped over to see my mate Keith's new bike - a very shiney W650.

Steffan

guest7

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 07:56:46 PM »
steve you can keep that battery i dident want to tell you that because you would have tried to give me money for it,anyway i have found another one, you can get me a pint at the dragon

Ahhh... that explains the slightly surreal conversation you guys were having outside my tent in the morning:
"Can I buy your battery?"
"No, you can borrow it"
"But let me buy it and you can get another tomorrow"
"No, you can borrow it".

It's all clear now :-)

What a great meet, I had such a nice time I'm thinking of doing it every birthday weekend from now on.

The only downside was having to wash the borrowed XBR before returning it. I'm not a natural washer of bikes.
GC

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 11:17:18 PM »

That's fantastic Jules What can I say but many thanks and I will re-imburse you for more than a couple of pints you really bailed me out on that one.
You are a Star..
Cheers steveD

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 11:28:52 PM »
You are a Star..
Cheers steveD

Yeah !    A MON-Star !

Great time had by all !
And the early morning get up call was a classic !
"Bad Moon Rising" at 8.30am on Jules sound system,LOUD !
Made me laugh.

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 09:27:25 AM »
Great time had by all !
And the early morning get up call was a classic !
"Bad Moon Rising" at 8.30am on Jules sound system,LOUD !
Made me laugh.

Jethro

Yeah but then you are easy to please!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteveD

guest18

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 12:26:49 AM »

The only downside was having to wash the borrowed XBR before returning it. I'm not a natural washer of bikes.
GC

Amen ;-)