Author Topic: 2007 Events  (Read 1691 times)

Bill Rutter

2007 Events
« on: November 11, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
I need to be sorting out my leave for next year, the earlier the better because getting time off can be a problem at times. Any dates pencilled in for next year? The Annual Rally is my first concern, and talk at Dent in July was of bringing the date forward a tad. Any dates/venues fixed yet?

Steve H

Re: 2007 Events
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 06:27:16 PM »
Scottish Rally is weekend of 22nd June. Ideally we need to spread the dates out a bit so I'm not sure about bringing the Annual Rally date forward. Steve D may have a better idea.

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »
I have said quite openly that I am prepared to organise the Annual Rally at Dent again next year, but surely this option should be open to discussion. The rally date again should be open to discussion and irrespective of location a date set pretty soon.
We were in my opinion very lucky with weather and quiet roads this year, the rally went very well and if consensus is to use Dent again I will investigate sub contracting out catering for the Saturday evening. I have in mind to find a local outfit to do a Hog roast!,
As for rideouts, that's already in the bag, I did two more with the Dutch / Belgian contingent on their extended stay.
Sooooo, I suggest that we have a bit of dialogue and fix a date and venue if only to keep Bill happy!
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

Steve H

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
Steve, dates are largely up to you, ideally we want to spread events throughout the year, this makes it easier for people with family/work commitments to get sufficient weekend passes. That said I see that an earlier date before the school holidays would help reduce traffic and would mean quieter campsites. Do you have a date in mind ?

Bill Rutter

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 10:45:24 AM »
Thanks boys. Actually (for the Annual Rally at least) I'm not too concerned when in July it is but just need to know a little in advance. School holidays and such are not in my itinery. As with last years excellent event I will be looking to turn up a day or two early anyway....wherever it is. Dent is fine by me, but it's not the venue so much as the company.

mini-thumper

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 11:40:08 AM »
Go for it SteveD! Same dates and loction would be fine. Too much consulation can sometimes be a bad thing, and there will always be who can't make whatever dates you set. The last one was very well organised so do your worst.

I think it would be useful to revert to booking rather than 'turn-up -on-the-day' as it gives you more info regarding numbers. But other that a few ultra-minor problems this years rally was very good - A+.

If I can give you hand with anything give me a shout.

BB

Steve H

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:45:03 PM »
Too much consulation can sometimes be a bad thing

Cant agree more. Just book it otherwise nothing will happen.

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 07:11:39 PM »
Go for it SteveD. Lead and we will follow :-) This years rally was great and I'm sure we wont run out of twisty roads to play on. Nice to have a gap between Scottish rolling and Annual to allow the wallet to recover and SWMBO to calm down a tad, but apart from that go for it.
Live long, live well, live happy

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:43:24 PM »
I am more than happy to organise the Annual for Dent again if the consensus approves, but we should bear in mind that there must be other places in the country that would be equally as attractive, it's just that I know the Dales etc. Other persons around the country should know of venues that would be good to explore and have good facilities but research is advised, what suits me doesn't necessarily suit everyone else.
Dent was a bit of a shot in the dark and I know that originally there was some apprehension, It is a bit of a treck for some people but then again knowing what you know now it's not as 'suspect' and at the end of the day it's only a good days ride from anywhere in the country.
The small groups that came before the weekend and those who stayed on really seemed to me to have a more chilled experience and get the best out of the area. I'm sure that similar arrangements can be made again as Mick and Wendy the campsite owners are very accommodating. (Did anyone miss one of Micks legendary breakfasts?)
Should we wait until GC is back online and get committe formal approval for venue and date? I can act accordingly.
PS When I stayed on for a few extra days I asked some of the locals if any had any problems with us being there, they were all happy with our behaviour!
........and while we are at it can future rideouts be limited to smaller groups, not a full task force, I felt as though I was leading an invasion looking in my rear views!, but it was pretty spectacular!
Steve
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

Steve H

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 07:56:33 AM »
I am more than happy to organise the Annual for Dent again if the consensus approves, but we should bear in mind that there must be other places in the country that would be equally as attractive, it's just that I know the Dales etc. Other persons around the country should know of venues that would be good to explore and have good facilities but research is advised, what suits me doesn't necessarily suit everyone else.
Dent was a bit of a shot in the dark and I know that originally there was some apprehension, It is a bit of a treck for some people but then again knowing what you know now it's not as 'suspect' and at the end of the day it's only a good days ride from anywhere in the country.

Steve

The key to a good Rally is a good venue, and from all accounts Dent is excellent, and someone with plenty of enthusiasm to organise it, which I think we can all agree you have plenty of. The club is widespread, so wherever the Rally is held it will mean travelling for someone, it impossible to accomodate everyone, at least Dent is fairly central to the UK.
I spoke briefly to Graham last night, he has his hands full at the moment and would probably appreciate someone taking a lead on this. I thinks its worth booking now and fixing the date.