Author Topic: Have you ever.....  (Read 254 times)

Itsme

Have you ever.....
« on: May 17, 2023, 03:44:40 PM »
....had one of those bikes that you just don't gel with? You know the sort of thing; a bike that you know should be great but somehow it just doesn't do it for you. There's nothing wrong per se but if you have a choice of machines then there is the one you never choose first and the one you always choose first.

Well that is Newzuki (Suzuki GW250 Inazuma) for me. I asked about tyres, but knew the real problem, despite trying to fool myself, is that I just don't get on with it. I wanted to as my wife bought it for me as a way of making up for all the days she saw me sitting in a cold, wet garage trying to sort out The Mighty Midget (Suzuki GN250). I feel really churlish to reject such a gift, but have finally admitted to her and myself that it just isn't 'me'. As lovely as a faired, modern bike is I just don't want to keep it.

Now the MM is back together and running well I reach for that every time and really love every mile I ride even though in every way imaginable it is inferior to Newzuki. What a strange bunch we are.

As a compromise I have agreed with my wife to push it to the back of the garage for now just to see if absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I'd be amazed if it did!

Ian

iansoady

Re: Have you ever.....
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 04:10:23 PM »
Some years ago I decided I should have a Japanese inline 4 as I'd never had one despite having just about everything else. I eventually plumped for a grey import Honda 400 4 - not the pretty one but a later model. I have to say that almost from the moment it arrived I hated it. It looked very nice, started and ran well (apart from a glitch with a plug cap of all things that took ages to sort out) but I just didn't get on with it. The fact it had a red line somewhere around 14,000 rpm and had no power at all below 6,000 or so was at least one of the reasons. Still, it was an itch worth scratching.

I did spend quite a lot of time tailoring its cramped riding position as well as fettling the poor running. Eventually I sold it for about what I'd paid so was happy with that.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 04:28:47 PM »
CCM….spitfire🤦???
To quote Forest Gump. “That’s all I have to say about that” 😁
Cheers … Michael

Ian

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 06:04:20 PM »
Yamaha MT-03....the first one (660cc single).  I loved it when I had a test ride, but as soon as I got my own, our relationship went downhill. How does that happen? 🤔🏍?🤔.
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 07:12:48 AM »
Thanks guys I'm so glad its not just me!

Ian

xbally

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 07:46:28 AM »
Kawasaki ER650twin. Just couldn't get on with the lack of torque and amount of revs needed to get anywhere. IMHO a lack of character.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

kevberlin

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 05:15:16 PM »
My nemesis was the BMW F700GS that I bought new in 2016. I test rode a number of bikes but kept going back to the beemer, so I settled on. I kitted it out with a few upgrades and it looked lovely in white with the red frame.
I just found the twin pot engine so so boring and characterless. I’ve no idea, looking back, why I bought it.
I traded it for the single cylinder G310GS which was fantastic. The dealership thought I’d lost my marbles.
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS