Author Topic: Chain lube test  (Read 268 times)

Ian

Chain lube test
« on: April 29, 2023, 10:49:20 PM »
Dunno if any of you have watched this but it may answer a few questions or even raise a few more. Well worth watching to the end. Hats off to the man!

1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

richardeblack

Re: Chain lube test
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 08:56:16 AM »
Really nicely done test with no bluster.
When I commuted on the XBR I used a scotoiler and chainsaw oil which was messy but brilliant. I had been commuting down from Nottingham to Milton Keynes all year round and using sprays. Changing to the scotoiler and chainsaw oil saw my chain life double. Since retiring I've been using randomly chosen sprays which seem to keep rust at bay and as I don't off-road, I don't suffer from dirt sticking to it.
I might revert to chainsaw oil which is also brilliant for lubricating cables.
Or I might try out his recommendations
I've had a look at their other videos, a few of which look like they might be interesting.
Thanks
Richard
Ps. I wrote an article for the old Thumperclub magazine that Graham used to do (brilliantly) where I documented the dual risks of cheap standard chains and rust. As a direct result of poor quality plates my chain broke on the way back from Stafford at about 75mph. Very scary. Subsequent microscopic examination showed the crack started from a rust pit about 1/4 the thickness of the plate and progressed about half way through before failing with brittle fracture. Don't ever use cheap standard chains.

CrazyFrog

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 04:40:07 PM »
Great info, thanks Ian!
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »
I look forward to watching. I don't have much experience of O or X ring chains but the one I had on my Triumph Tiger 955i did 20,000 miles with only one adjustment. And yes, I did ride it in the wet being young(er) and foolish(er). I used Wurth chain wax on it as my view was that lubrication requirements were minimal as the main things that need lubricating are the bushes and rollers which should have been well protected. No idea of the make but assume it was OE as I bought the bike with about 5,000 on the clock.

I use Silkolene spray on the Norton which is a non-O ring type - there isn't room for one. But that gets less use. Not having ridden the XBR yet I haven't investigated.....
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

deleted

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 03:15:34 PM »
Back when I was riding my old CBR1000F (140 rwbhp) I had a Scotoiler as I was doing nearly 900 miles a week. Great piece of kit  8)