Author Topic: Saying Hi from a new member  (Read 344 times)

Daviddabest

• Ride the wind - Race the rain !
Saying Hi from a new member
« on: April 27, 2023, 11:45:55 AM »
Hi All,
Seen you at the classic bike show this weekend, and was encouraged to join!

I have recently purchased a Honda XBR 500, its another one now back on the road :-) after 11 years being stood and looking sorry for itself with the previous owner.

Any things I should look out for on it straight away? Tips? Hints?

Im now reading back through all of the forum gathering knowledge.

David

1986 Honda XBR 500 - 62,000m

iansoady

Re: Saying Hi from a new member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 12:18:10 PM »
Hi David.

The XBR500 is one of the favourite bikes here. If you do a search on XBR you'll find probably more info than you need......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

xbally

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 03:08:12 PM »
Welcome. I've owned a few of these and they great bikes. I even remember when they were released on to the UK market in about 1985 when I was newly 'wed with a mortgage and couldn't afford a new bike. I was running a 10 year old Honda 400/4 then IIRC shortly to be followed by a 77 or 78 GS750 -my second one. Best to trawl though the previous posts and ask on here if there's anything specific you want to know. I sold last XBR about 18 months ago and bought a 2015 Royal Enfield 535 Continental GT which is similar but by no means the same!
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 06:04:24 PM »
Hi David, welcome to the TC.
 Like Martin (xbally) I to have owned quite a few XBR’s over the years, 4 if memory serves me correct, I have an XBR street tracker two thirds built on my workbench at the moment. Unlike Martin I was lucky enough to buy a brand new back in 1986 and did about a million miles on it,  great bikes (IMVHO)
There’s no specific thing that I can bring to mind to look out for. Just get out there and enjoy it if it’s running ok. If you come across any problems with it, I’m confident there will be someone on the TC site that will be able to help out.
Cheers, Michael

richardeblack

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 10:59:15 AM »
Hello David,
It was nice to chat to you at the show (I was the one with the XBR).
I think Graham and I suggested things to look out for on them.  Were you the gentleman who was looking for a workshop manual?
Enjoy your bike.
Don't hesitate to ask questions on here.  There is a good quantity of spare parts distributed amongst the members so ask here first before heading to ebay or similar.
Hopefully see you at the October show.
Richard.

iansoady

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 01:00:10 PM »
If you want a workshop manual I have a pdf copy of the factory book. I can't remember where I downloaded it from. I can make it available if that helps.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Daviddabest

• Ride the wind - Race the rain !
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 02:51:02 PM »
Hi All,
Thanks for the welcome, nice to chat to you too Richard - I have since purchased a used Honda original manual (green one with half a wheel on)

Only thing springs to mind is the oil checking side.
Manual states - Run bike for 3 mins, remove dipstick and wipe, then put dipstick in but dont screw it in... then check level.
Done this on my recent oil change and all is spot on.
1986 Honda XBR 500 - 62,000m

iansoady

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 03:09:49 PM »
That oil checking ritual is perverse. The problem is that it's neither a dry nor wet sump system but a combination. In a dry sump as I'm familiar with on my British machines, virtually all the oil is scavenged from the crankcase (apart from that which finds its way past the oil pump into the sump of course). The XBR, as far as I can understand it, retains a significant qualtity in the crankcase as evidenced when you change the oil and rather than the teacupful you might expect, a litre or so pours out all over the floor......

I see no reason why they couldn't have done the job properly. They were after all trying to imitate the trad Brit single.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 08:36:27 PM »
I see no reason why they couldn't have done the job properly. They were after all trying to imitate the trad Brit single.
din't make a very good job then did they... no oil leaks, reliable electrics ...

oh ... welcome David , as you're bimbling along on your nice thumper, close your eyes and pretend it's an SRX  ;D

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 09:16:34 AM »
I think you'll find that people have experienced both these problems on XBRs Steve......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

richardeblack

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 08:23:06 AM »
I must confess that I've not really had oil leaks on my XBRs but have had issues with electrics but only after high mileages and all down to ignition coils on the stator.
Mind you, I never had electric problems on my later British bikes and very rarely oil leaks.
On the subject of the dryish sump on the XBR, it has to retain oil for lubricating the gearbox. I never understood why they changed from the wet sump of the early XR engines to the more complicated and presumably more expensive dry sump for the RFVC although maybe it was for ground clearance as they were designed for off road bikes?
Associated with the oil change, I realised a while ago that just draining the oil from both the tank and engine leaves quite a lot in. I can't think of a good reason for this and now drain both with a syringe and tube. I usually get another 150ml out which seems quite a lot when the whole system only has 2.2 litres.
Cheers
Richard

xbally

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2023, 08:56:44 AM »
I don't think I have ever had any problems with oil leaks or electrics on any of my XBRs. Off topic the CB250RS can leak from the cylinder head area and despite efforts to stop this mine still drops a bit occasionally-in a most unHonda like way. I agree about the XBR  oil changing / checking procedures which are a bit arcane. I never had any problems with mine but you do need to ensure the oil filter and its cover are fitted in the correct orientation-there's a line scribed on the casing by Mr Honda  IIRC. I also seem to recall there's an additional drain plug .As you have acquired the Honda workshop manual this should explain the procedure in full. I don't think there's a Haynes and not sure about a Clymer . I'm getting an itch to have another XBR which I usually do after I sold my last one!
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535