Author Topic: SRX 400 refurb  (Read 1246 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Re: SRX 400 refurb
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2023, 09:20:06 PM »
wow! learn summat every day, i didn't realise 17" front and rear was an option on the sex.

themoudie

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2023, 09:57:33 PM »
Aye Steve,

Thas cos its a Mono bor!  ;)

Aye Ian,

So, what do you mean by "Frighteningly" good tyres?

What mileage do they do, also would you get two rears to one front, or change both at once?

What sort of money are you talking about?

Our Mono is going for the MoT on Monday, if I am still able, after re-skinning a polytunnel this weekend! ::)

Good health to you both, Bill

Ian

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2023, 11:11:49 PM »

Aye Ian,

So, what do you mean by "Frighteningly" good tyres?

What mileage do they do, also would you get two rears to one front, or change both at once?

What sort of money are you talking about?

Good health to you both, Bill

Hi Bill, untill I had the S22s fitted I had only ever ridden an SRX ( both mono and twin shock, oh and one hybrid) on cross ply tyres. I always felt that the back end would never follow the front. The new fangled radial things really shook things up a bit. I found myself leaning harder and faster.... frightening myself into the bargain.
I'm a 2front for one rear rider, I must use excessive force on the front brake???.
I think the mileage per tyre is a personal thing. I don't know of anyone getting the same sort of mileage out of similar/same tyres.
Cost when I had them fitted....a bargain £180 for the front and rear fitted to loose wheels. Dunno if you'll get them for that sort of price now though. When I bought them from  "Sticky Stuff" in Telford they were cheaper than Cross Plies of same size.Hope this is of some use to Steve.

PS. Is your MOT station open on bank holiday Monday or is it different North of the Border?

PPS, just went on Sticky Stuff Website and got a quote for S22s in above sizes at £168  as a pair deal 😱
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 11:18:31 PM by Ian »
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

themoudie

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2023, 08:04:32 AM »
Morning Ian,

Thank you for all the info.

MoT open tomorrow, the same as any other working day up here. The Mono doesn't need new tyres, but, it won't be long and I too have been having a look at "Sticky Stuff" prices and think that they are good value for that kind of rubber. I can see me changing the Bros tyres over to the those, so as to improve Kat's confidence and because of the price of Avon RoadRider II tyres.

The early morning jockeys are out giving it laldie onm the 600's!  ;D
The Dictionary of the Scots Language (www.dsl.ac.uk) defines laldie as follows: "A thrashing, a punishment, a drubbing, generally in phrases to get or gie laldie also figurative of any vigorous or energetic action.".

Off to skin the polytunnel on a high UV, but cool morning, with a wee breeze and high cloud gathering. I have the polythene all laid out warming in the sun! ;)

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2023, 08:42:04 PM »
2 steps forward 1 back... or maybe it's the other way round... still not located the wheel alignment plates, so to save more wasted time i knocked up a pair myself, sprayed with cold galvanising paint, not as nice as chrome, but they'll do until the originals turn up. got the right hand rearset, master cylinder & resevoir fitted, had to fabricate brackets to get correct alignment for master cyl to brake lever. looks a bit 'fussy' at present, think i'll redo the resevoir bracket.  onwards and upwards

Ian

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2023, 10:41:26 PM »
Hi Steve, it's looking good so far. The colours look good too. I know the feeling of "1 forward, 2 back " syndrome. Bikes always look good when finished but many don't realise the heartaches and frustration that go on to achieve the end product.
Can't find the alignment brackets as yet. Couple more boxes to dig out and go through as yet!

Steve Lake

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2023, 08:57:40 AM »
thanks for looking Ian. bit of progress yesterday. re-fashioned the reservoir support, fitted refurbed cakiper with new pads, bled system (the absolute fastest i have ever bled srx brakes, approx 3 mins!!) fitted new chain and aligned and tightened wheel. refitted rear plastics.
celebrated with a pint of abbot :-)

Steve Lake

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2023, 09:02:53 PM »
another day of running to stand still ...
having been so pleased with myself in a very quick setup of the rear brake, i realised this morning that i'd forgotten to fit the hydraulic brake light switch..... doh! ... so pull it apart fit switch reassemble re-bleed waste of an hour.

still, on the bright side i made up and fitted a plate to secure the ratty old rubber/plastic chain guard at the front of the swing arm. i've done this on all the srx's as most have splits around the mounting holes and no longer work with the usual washers.

also got the l/h rearset fitted ... and here i have a small problem ... i need a pair of heel plates (the one i have fitted to the l/h rearset is manky and meant to be on the right) so another entry is about to appear in the wanted section as they are unobtaneum from yamaha.

oh, & my wonderful Koni shocks need a sleeve in the bottom eye for a correct fit to the bolt... never a dull moment.

Moto63

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2023, 09:53:57 PM »
Looking good… oh and that bubble wrap is simply crying out to be popped 😁😉

themoudie

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2023, 12:10:04 AM »
"When you're in a rush, go slowly!"  ;)

Bill

Ian

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2023, 07:43:39 AM »
As Bill implied and my French teacher at school used to say ...."Hurry slowly"

It's all looking good for October Steve. 👍. The main problem with these restorations...
They take over your life!!!

Steve Lake

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2023, 08:08:16 AM »
hi Ian, yes, it's a bit of a juggling act, so much else to do this time of year... house maintenance, extensive garden, 2 cars to keep on the road .... i could go on but SWMBO informs me we are going shopping ...  :( .

i'm now just waiting on the paint job to be ready, and delivery of the rechromed stanchions ... i'm aiming to finish by the end of june...

today i will be assembling as much of the front end as i can in readiness for the forks. and cleaning pipes & silencer while i'm waiting for new studs and nuts & gaskets. oh, & hopefully pick up my sleeved koni's , oh, and sort out the wiring at the back end ... and ... and ... and