Author Topic: XBR500 Centre Stand  (Read 353 times)

TrickyMicky

XBR500 Centre Stand
« on: March 20, 2023, 05:17:26 PM »
I have just been looking at the possibility of buying an XBR500, and when I went to check the rear wheel/swinging arm bearings I couldn't do so because even though it was on the stand, the rear wheel was still touching the floor.  Is this a known problem, and are there any quick and easy solutions?  Thanks everbody. Mike.

johnr

• Regular
Re: XBR500 Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 09:02:34 PM »
might be a bent or worn stand, non standard shocks or tyres.
get a short piece of plank and put it under the stand!

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 09:47:30 AM »
Mine is the same although I can't see any significant wear and there's no apparent corrosion. I put a bit of 15mm board underneath if I want to spin the back wheel.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

xbally

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 04:17:37 PM »
They do wear and corrode-after all these bikes are approaching 40 years of age. The extension piece usually drops off first which makes it difficult to get the stand down in the first place. I sourced parts from Ebay Germany where these bikes are popular but although cheap and plentiful at the time (5-10 years ago now IIRC) I'm guessing prices and availability have changed now and not for the better.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 09:56:36 PM »
hi mike
Another thing to look for is where  the stand spindle goes through the frame the holes for the spindle on the frame go oval shape from wear and tear over the years ,the old trick was to weld some large  washers( with holes the same size as the stand bolt)  back on the frame lugs
tommy

TrickyMicky

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 08:25:41 AM »
Greetings one and all, many thanks for all of the helpful comments. Do you remember in your days of youthful thinking whereby every hint that something was amiss had us reaching for the workshop manual ready for a complete strip-down?  The solution was normally offered by some wise old sage telling us to look for the simple causes first. It can still apply to us young 75 year-olds!  I returned to the dealers, trade plates were fitted, and I went out for a thoroughly superb 20-odd mile jaunt, revelling in the sound.  Returned to dealer, wheeled bike into showroom and put its onto the stand.  The back wheel turned quite freely!!!  When I mentioned that to the proprietor, his reply was along the lines of "They all do that sir, when they come in here".  He then showed me where the bike was parked originally, and there was a hard to see shallow dip in the floor. Laughter all round, so I bought the bike! My GB 250 now has a bigger brother. Stay safe. Mike.

themoudie

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 11:19:14 AM »
Aye Mike,

Enjoy the miles and smiles.

Good health, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 01:17:55 PM »
Great little story Micky. Hope you have many happy S,miles  riding it 👍👍
Cheers, Michael