Author Topic: would you all please stand and welcome my #10 srx  (Read 990 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Re: would you all please stand and welcome my #10 srx
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 10:14:02 PM »
hey Andy, long time no chat!! ... still have 'Tiggy'... in bits, but due to be reassembled this year  ;)

andy230

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2023, 12:07:18 AM »
Keep me posted  ;)

a

themoudie

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2023, 09:27:31 PM »
Aye SteveL,

On the Dhansak thread  ;) you mentioned putting the #1 plate on #10 and taking a canter!

May I ask if you have found the 400 twin shock motor a sweeter motor than the 600, with little loss of "OOOOmph" and more mpg? Are engine spares still available?

This is pondering  ::) at present. However, Sally (600) needs a rebuild to the top end, at least and if we go into a piston etc. a running 400 might be an alternative. Kick starting, at present, is not a problem and I still find the monoshock chassis and tyres cumbersome, when compared to the twin shock set up.

Thank you for your time.

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2023, 07:57:33 PM »
hey Bill, yes, i have a lot of time for the 400, i have a spare 400 lump complete, which, when #1's lump was on the bench i bunged in the chassis so's i had 'wheels' ,  the 400 revs up so well, is smoother, although not quite the same pick up, it's not far off the same top speed.
bearing in mind i used the 600's CDi and carbs, and my Competition Fabrications s/s sporty exhaust system.

obviously you know that the twinshock engines (600 & 400) won't slot into the mono chassis , bolt holes ok, but chain alignment is crap.

sent the stuff requiring painting away, now prepping wheels , swingarm, fork tubes, sprocket carrier for powder coating.

am planning on getting Competition Fabrications to knock me up a few chain guards like i have on #1, might take a punt and see if anyone else is interested in a nice s/s guard, post a pic on here and ask the question.

pip pip

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2023, 10:33:42 PM »
hi my name is tommy and i have bbb
 ;D ;D

themoudie

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2023, 11:02:23 PM »
Thank you Steve,

Was thinking of using a 400 motor in the same way as you used yours, whilst rebuilding the 600 of Sally. The XT600E engine in the Mono should be fine, as that was a complete rebuild of the whole bike. £1,000 into the engine alone!

Pleased that you are making progress, with #10.

May I lob some temptation your way from Wymondham?  ;D

eBay Lot number: 145016266396

Hat, coat, make quick exit left!  :-X ;)

Keep a troshin, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 08:38:51 PM »
hey Bill, thanks for the info, if i hadn't got #10 on the go, i'd be interested ... looks fairly clean, but i bet underneath there will be a host of niggles to sort out. as i'm finding with #10. like different sized spacers in thee forks , not to mention a missing capping washer. tank has been repaired , a lot of brazing underneath... seems sound though. seat is coming apart ... i could go on ...

stay safe old boy :-)

themoudie

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2023, 08:49:47 PM »
Aye Steve,

Mmmm! #10 sounds like a fair old bit of niggly work, so keep a troshin.

I may have to rewind the trigger coil for the 125H, as everything else has drawn large blanks! So, silicone moulds, resin, coated copper wire, etc, etc. Like yourself, probably later rather than sooner.

Duke out again and over 500 on the clock this year. Worn the rear tyre out at 2,700 miles, so replacement enroute.

I'll try and hope you do to. Any swallows yet?

Toodle pip, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2023, 06:42:30 AM »
hey Bill, what swg copper wire do you need ? ... i have a load here from making the windings for my wind generator.
no swallows or swifts yet, be a month or 2 yet.

do you ever get the feeling during a part/full resto that you wish you'd never seen the bloody thing ??

stripped the forks yesterday, only to find that some **** had previously use a screwdriver to try and dig out the seals ! thus bu55ering up the seating, hence why the boots were fitted, and hence why they were full of oil !! so i'll have to either fill the scars with epoxy or put a coating of silicone sealant on before fitting.

AND THEN, wondering why the bold hadn't happily dropped out the bottom of the leg once everything else had been removed, i spotted a bit of wire impeding it's progress, with a pair of pliers i pulled on it, only to discover it was the end of a helicoil !! fitted as a repair to the spindle thread! ... so that will be off to my engineering wizard ....

AND THEN i had great difficulty in removing the swing arm tube (that the spindle runs through), once out, also out came some very square looking needle rollers !!

is there no end to the nightmare i ask myself ???

not sure whether this should be in 'project progress' or 'rants'  ;D

pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2023, 08:22:06 PM »
Aye Steve,

Beguiled by a sorrowful SRX400, the same as I was by the Mono, with the XT600E engine and a rust tide mark through the main bearings!  :(  Sounded fine when started up and the oil appeared clean. However, after 100 miles down the A9 and a night cooling off in the workshop, the oil was as black as the Torrey Canyon's cargo and the nearside main bearing rumbled like your guts after a night on Guinness, black rum and a good Madras mince curry to top it all off!  ::)

You either bite the bullet, or break for spares and stick with #1. But, where's the "fun" in that?

Thank you for your offer of annealed, coated copper wire for the windings, but I haven't disected the encapsulation yet. I will contact you at a later date, if I may, with dimensions. I suspect it'll be finer than horse hair! Pity a Suffolk Punch tail couldn't supply the goods!  ;) ;D

Another 60 mile shakedown today to bed the tyre in and very enjoyable it was to. Kat on the Bros and we spotted displaying red kites, a red squirrel, collared doves and rescued a Herdwick lamb out of a ditch that had proved too deep to climb out from. As usual, the silly sod followed me, rather than seeking a suckle from it's mother, so had to be carried into the middle of the field before teaming up with mum.  ::)

Swallows are usually with us by the 14th, April, so fingers crossed.

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2023, 07:30:39 AM »
i guess this should really go in 'projects' but here goes anyway... #10 refurb making (slow) progress, stuff coming together ok. fitted swing arm and shocks (a lovely pair of Koni's i picked up a while back) come to fit the wheel and couldn't locate the chrome plates that show you alignment with notches on the swing arm, been looking everywhere no joy. began to think that maybe they weren't on the bike when i got it, then last night in bed i remembered that i had published a couple of pics on here ... maybe just maybe they'd prove if the plates were fitted .... and low and behold they were.... so .... where the fudge are the bloody things ?? in the very likely event that the 'borrowers' have nicked them, does anyone have a pair to sell? as they are unobtaneum from Yamaha.

Ian

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2023, 07:58:00 AM »
I'll have a dig around Steve, I know I had a pair but I don't think you are alone having "borrowers" 🤔
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers