Author Topic: Piston ring question  (Read 470 times)

Itsme

Piston ring question
« on: August 26, 2022, 04:17:31 PM »
Hi all

As I am not sure yet whether the one-way valve in my engine breather on the Mighty Midget will lessen the oil consumption I bought a set of piston rings in case I need to change the barrel. However I'm not sure I will use them.

They are obviously Chinese and the top two compression rings seem identical with no markings on or different profile. The genuine rings have an N or R stamped on the upper face and have different profiles, top ring rounded, 2nd ring angled. The oil control ring rails are different, one is consistent thickness the other has a slight step in one face but no indication of which is the top rail and which is the bottom.

I am now reluctant to use them as if I get them in the wrong way around I might make the problem worse.

Any advice people?

Spartacian

themoudie

Re: Piston ring question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 07:59:56 PM »
Aye Spartacian,

I'd be havering too!

Suspect the step in the oil control ring rails would go to the bottom, but NOT CERTAIN!

Genuine rings, inspite of expense; unless unobtainium, would have been my preferred option.  :-X

Hat and coat exit left!

Good health, Bill

Itsme

Re: Piston ring question
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 07:42:43 AM »
Cheers Bill

Firstly I hope the tear is mending and you will soon be out and about.

Thanks for the reply, I think we are of one mind, i.e. don't risk it. I suppose it is my own fault for penny-pinching in the first place. Looking at these rings they just don't look like components I want in my motor.

Spartacian