Author Topic: Time for barrel change  (Read 799 times)

Itsme

Time for barrel change
« on: August 10, 2022, 07:13:20 AM »
Hi All

As I mentioned in the Triumph post the Mighty Midget is still using a lot of oil even though I thought I had cured it. I took the carb off yesterday and checked if the valve stems were dry and they are so at least fitting the new seals worked. However this must mean the oil is coming from below past the rings.

I checked the rings when I rebuilt the top end and they were well in spec, but I read an article by Rick Parkington of Classic Bike about a similar situation with his Goldie. It seems he had some rings that were in spec but until he changed them his Goldie used a lot of oil. As I have another barrel, piston and a new set of rings I might as well change them.

Hopefully this will cure the prodigious oil use as if not I might have to consider changing the MM purely on grounds of cost of running. I really don't want to do that so fingers crossed.

Ian

Moto63

Re: Time for barrel change
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 07:19:00 AM »
OR.......you could save yourself the hassle Ian, sorry spartacian and just put an order in for a new triumph single 😉😉
Name withheld to protect the innocent 😇

mthee

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 02:39:46 PM »
I know you have the ultimate solution, but it would be interesting (and cheap!) to see if your oil use improves by fitting a check valve on the engine breather.

Here's the links to JOOLZ's post and an article explaining their use;

http://www.thumperclub.com/index.php?topic=8702.0

http://www.eurospares.com/sucker.htm
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »
Still think my idea is better 😁😉

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »
Hi Mthee

Thanks for the thought, it is certainly an interesting idea and one worthy of consideration. I will let you know what I decide.

Michael, I would like your suggestion better if you offered to buy it for me! Then I could look past the bland looking design of the Triumph.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 08:39:49 PM »
Ian if my numbers come up this Saturday evening your on. However considering the most I’ve ever won on the lottery is a tenner I wouldn’t hold your breath 🤦???🤞

mthee

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 09:19:55 PM »
Speaking of tenners, I reckon my suggestion can be installed in about 1 minute for under that amount;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284827161537?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2iCd1wfLSg-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=GT0R2p0dRG2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

+ breather pipe to suit

Don't  get no easier and cheaper than that!

Itsme

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 06:30:56 PM »
Thanks for that, I ordered something very similar yesterday. I will let you know how it goes.

Ian

mthee

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 10:54:55 AM »
Fingers crossed for at least a get-you-by for the remainder of the summer.

Itsme

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 03:32:04 PM »
Fingers crossed for at least a get-you-by for the remainder of the summer.

Thanks I hope so too. A little more information from a ride out with my mate today. At traffic lights the Mighty Midget smokes but it clears up as speed rises when underway again. I would like to offer two thoughts; it could be breather related and pulling pressure out at higher speeds maybe or it could be the oil pump isn't scavenging effectively at low engine revs.

If it is the former the one-way valve will hopefully sort it, if it is the latter there's not a lot I can do.

I am going to wait until I have the valve in place so as to avoid unnecessary work if it improves things. If it doesn't I will have another think as surely if the rings were letting blow-by from under the piston it would get worse with increased speed not better. I forgot to say I had the carb off last week and the inlet valve stems show no sign of oil ingress so the new stem seals are working at least.

Let me have your thoughts please as I am determined to at least improve the MM's oil consumption if not cure it completely.

Ian

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 10:44:39 PM »
whats the bike/engine in question?

Itsme

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 06:15:17 AM »
Suzuki GN250.