Author Topic: Slightly off topic but worth the watch  (Read 1078 times)

Moto63

Slightly off topic but worth the watch
« on: May 26, 2022, 08:03:33 AM »
As title suggests folks, slightly off topic but there’s a video on return of the cafe racer site about the kwak Z1 celebrating 50yrs. This is genuine footage from 1973, complete with white flared jeans and crackles on the tape... plus the sound of the Z1 at full speed at Dayton raceway. Brilliant. Enjoy watching it through those rose tinted glasses....I certainly did 🤓
Cheers, Michael

mthee

Re: Slightly off topic but worth the watch
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 10:37:57 AM »
Here's your link - lovely stuff, thanks for the share 😀

Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 10:46:37 AM »
That’s the one Matt, the sound of that Z1 at full chat is music to my ears 👂. Certainly brought back lots of memories from when I was about 12 to 13 yrs old, so about 1975 to 76. Big bro’s mate got one which had, I think a “piper” 4 into 1 system on it. I used to absolutely love the noise it made at the time.
Many  thanks for posting the link up 👍

xbally

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 05:17:20 PM »
I remember being taken on the back of a Z1B one of my mates had from new.When a year or two later I went for a test ride on a second hand one it would not hold a line through a corner even at moderate speed. Must have had the wrong tyres,worn shocks or something. I didn't buy it anyway but had a new GS1000 on 1st August 1978. Those were the days!
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

xbally

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 05:22:36 PM »
Just watched Duhamel at full chat round the banking-scary but very impressive stuff but maybe a piece of cake for him after racing an H2R?

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 07:31:30 PM »
had a new GS1000 on 1st August 1978. Those were the days!
Aahhhh yes indeedy Martin, those were the daze. A mate of ours, in the brother of the lad who had the Z1 had a GS1000 in 1978. I went on the back a few times, used to feel like an absolute rocket ship to me at 15 yrs old. Brilliant memories indeed. Must say though, the Z1 always sounded sweeter.

xbally

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 02:07:20 PM »
had a new GS1000 on 1st August 1978. Those were the days!
Aahhhh yes indeedy Martin, those were the daze. A mate of ours, in the brother of the lad who had the Z1 had a GS1000 in 1978. I went on the back a few times, used to feel like an absolute rocket ship to me at 15 yrs old. Brilliant memories indeed. Must say though, the Z1 always sounded sweeter.
Yes Michael-would seem like a rocket ship to anyone at the time I think. Z1 probably has stood the test of time looks wise but the GS Thou was IMHO a better bike to ride. If I had to have one now I'd still go for the GS, despite the better looks of the Z1 and a GS is much better value for money. Funnily enough I saw one (Z1)this morning when I was fetching my Monster back from its MOT.

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 02:47:19 PM »
Our mates was the one with the red tank with a white stripe down the side and black side panels. I then fell in love with the GS1000s when that came out. Loved the white and blue one, could never afford one though 😥. Hence I bought my rs250 followed by my first xbr500. Bought them both new, worked like a Trojan to save up for them at the time. Great memories
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 04:25:03 PM »
Our mates was the one with the red tank with a white stripe down the side and black side panels. I then fell in love with the GS1000s when that came out. Loved the white and blue one, could never afford one though 😥. Hence I bought my rs250 followed by my first xbr500. Bought them both new, worked like a Trojan to save up for them at the time. Great memories
Cheers, Michael
Mine was a black one with air suspension front and rear. I ruined the carburation by fitting K & N air filters. I was forever changing the main jets-this was before you could get the air corrector jets for the rest of the fuelling. Sold mine after less than 2 years (June 1980)  when I got a TR6 car not the bike and reverted to a Honda 400/4.As you say Michael-happy days.

Rossco500

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 09:57:53 PM »
Excellent - thanks for posting. Those records are still impressive nearly 50 years later especially given the tyre technology. Those riders were brave men. They are a lovely looking bike although prices these days are through the roof.

Regards

Tony

Moto63

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 08:54:18 AM »
Those records are still impressive nearly 50 years later especially given the tyre technology. Those riders were brave men.

Regards

Tony
Yes I thought exactly the same thing Tony when I first watched it. Brave men indeed 👍

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 11:19:26 AM »
great stuff !! ... great sound, one of the first muscle bikes ... (ok, laverda triples were first by a couple of years... and what lovely bikes they were) but credit to Kwackers they put it on the line for all to see suceed or fail.

Moto63

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »
Ahh..yes the laverda jota. I'm glad to say that I had one for approx 18months in the very early 90's.
It's the bike that set me on my triple journey. Now on my 4th (5th including the jota) yes can't imagine ANY of the manufacturer laying all out there for all to see nowadays

themoudie

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 11:13:52 PM »
Aye Michael,

Then YouTube this and enjoy: Ozlaverda_The_Perfect_Corner_Series3.2_Miles_from_Nowhere

Belissimo! :-* ;D

Whilst this is just peachy!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Ozlaverda_The_Perfect_Corner_Series3.1_Brown_Sugar

Good health, Bill
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 11:58:20 PM by themoudie »

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 04:15:39 PM »
loved it