Author Topic: It lives!  (Read 440 times)

iansoady

It lives!
« on: May 05, 2022, 10:51:44 AM »
Just been out for the little Honda's maiden 20 mile run. First impressions: runs well, nice and stable through the bends, somewhat gutless compared to the Norton but more comfortable! Although in theory they have similar power outputs around 25 bhp the Honda needs lots more revs - however it doesn't snatch at low speed as badly as I'd thought it might.

The front brake is indeed very wooden in action and further investigation shows that the master cylinder currently fitted is in fact 5/8" rather than the 14mm it should have so not surprising - I have a 12.5mm one arriving tomorrow so we'll see how that feels. The rear suspension is on the very hard side even with the units fully turned down so I may investigate something a bit softer from NJB.

As mentioned by someone in the earlier thread the footrests are on the high side so that may be a job for the winter.

All in all very pleased and its light weight and easy handling will make it ideal for times when I feel the Norton is too much for an old man!
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

Re: It lives!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 04:08:31 PM »
Hi Ian

Glad to hear your inaugural run was such a success. Tinkering to make an older bike more personal is such a nice activity and made all the better when the bike in question is also nice to ride. I think Steve D told me that the 250 Honda singles make more power than my GN250 and if it does make 25bhp he was right. I imagine that the Honda and the Norton are such a nice contrast and having the choice of those two is lovely.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 04:25:26 PM »
Yes, happy days indeedy Ian. Glad to hear that you’re happy with your purchase. May you have many happy miles and smiles riding it 👍
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 08:25:12 PM »
Glad to hear it's all worked out for you Ian.
They are a bit gutless compared to a bigger single and as you've already discovered need to be revved in typical Honda style.
I'll be interested to hear if the front brake can be improved by your planned mods.
Mine has some shop soiled but new after-market rear shocks I got off a friend who used to be in the trade. I don't know what the make was but they're chrome springs with a chrome damper-look the part and work very well. I think I paid him £30 about 8 ish years ago.
AS you say the best features are the lovely light weight and ease of handling for us "more mature" types.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 11:24:02 PM »
Sounds good Ian, happy fettling and putting the miles under the wheels.

Good health, Bill