Author Topic: Honda CB250RSA tips?  (Read 4199 times)

iansoady

Honda CB250RSA tips?
« on: March 26, 2022, 10:39:27 AM »
I have now sold the X-max - losing a fair amount but better for it to go than hang about - and have my eye on a 250RSA "project" - this one. It was up for a week with the same starting price with no bids and now nearing the end of its second attempt. Hoping to pop up to Stafford tomorrow and have a shufti. Any tips on what I should be looking for - I know about chocolate cylinder heads but other tips would be helpful. I'd be planning to move it back closer to standard as exhaust wrap doesn't float my boat. Thanks in advance.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144466625018
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

Re: Honda CB250RSA tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 10:47:47 AM »
Morning Ian, sorry cannot help with "tips" as I have never owned one, but good luck if you do make the trip. Bill

SteveC#222

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 11:09:23 AM »
tevie54 was the man for 250RS info but he hasn't been around lately :-\
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »
Is the cb250 rsa the electric start version ?
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

iansoady

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 11:26:52 AM »
No it's kickstart. I have read on the web (therefore completely unreliable) that the e/s versions were somewhat troublesome.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 12:33:47 PM »
Has the subframe been chopped? With scrambler projects, it's often the first thing that gets done. Best of luck.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 01:03:20 PM »
Has the subframe been chopped? With scrambler projects, it's often the first thing that gets done. Best of luck.

looks like it has
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

iansoady

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 01:04:39 PM »
That would put me off. I'm having difficulty getting to see it so probably as well to leave this one alone. How could I tell if the subframe has been chopped?
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

500 T C

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2022, 01:20:44 PM »
Hi Ian,yes I have owned 2,the best 250 ever made by Honda.   A no frills 250,will knock spots off a 250 wet dream.
But saying  that its a 4 valve head and I would guess this would need attention.     Highly reliable,if used daily, can be a sod to start if left to stand.The gear lever pivot lug is vunerable to being broken off, when dropped.
The one you are looking at ,looks as thou ,its been messed around with.Some hipster upstart,chopping the mudguards around and bandages around the exhaust pipes,and the seat is in a mess.Seller hoping to get a cool price,because it looks "cool".
Also they do use oil. Nice thing is the the crankcases split horizontally.
  Judging by the pictures ,I would not offer any more over 4OO for it,or spend another £1000,if you  find a better low milage example.Hope  this helps.

Moto63

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »
I owned one from new on a W plate, so same model as the one on fleabay. Had it for three years (if memory serves) did about a million miles on it. Then sold it to big bro who used it to commute to work on for a few years. Honestly can’t remember the eventual mileage we collectively put on it but it was a LOT. That bike NEVER missed a beat. Truly brilliant little 250. Oh.. and yes they would knock the spots off a wet dream😉
Martin (XBALLY) still has one and rides it so you’re probably best putting a shout out to him.
Best of luck with it, keep us posted 🤞
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 01:54:22 PM »
Yes, I'd like to make whatever I buy into something more like original although I expect I'd lose the horrible headlight, indicators and clocks. Exhaust wrap? never understood it myself and would expect to be spending several hundred on exhausts / silencers. I just want a bike that's nice to ride and doesn't make me look like an idiot riding it - tall order I know!

THat one will be MoT and tax exempt which is a plus. I am communicating with the seller so we'll see what happens. If it doesn't get any bids I may make an insulting offer but I don't expect he'll go for £400!
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

CrazyFrog

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 04:47:55 PM »
I can't think of his name Ian, but wasn't the lad who used to post on IKBA and worked at Draganfly an expert on these?
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

500 T C

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 05:26:09 PM »
           The first one I had ,the previous owner said the engine was  vibrating,it was something to do with an engine bolt ,I found missing and the bike only done 11K on the clock!
  Im sure new, the RSA 250 was £799 and the wet dream £899,hundred pound more ,for an extra pot, electric welly and slug performance.
          Then Honda made a newer version,as usual,not as good,KISS,did not come into it.(Keep It Simple Stupid)

xbally

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »
Well yes I've had a few of these and IMHO great little bikes. Best feature is the extremely light weight and smallish -but not too small size. I'm about 5 '11 ish and it does feel a bit small but I don't care as it's so easy to ride.
They do tend to be a bit snatchy being a single and chain and sprocket wear can be high. The cush drive on the RSA (kickstart) model can be a pain if worn. The bushes are hard to replace but I think you can at least get them now-at one time they were either v expensive or NLA even from Dave Silver. There's a large washer shim which takes up the play on the rear sprocket and this can be missing causing more chain sprocket probs.
The RSD (electric start) has a more conventional set up with cush drive rubbers which are easier to obtain and replace. And yes the starter can cause problems. A mate of mine had one in the 90's as a ride to work bike and he had trouble fixing the bust starter motor.
The gear linkage can wear resulting in a lot of slop but mine still worked ok.
Mine also had a problem with corrosion of the frame. I think it will be documented on here somewhere-I had to get a mate to weld it up. The clue was when the kick starter wouldn't retract properly and was hitting the footrest hangers IIRC.
My first one only cost me about £35 -about 15 ish years ago.It was high miles but ran well and just needed a few parts and some fettling to get it back on the road.
Oil can and usually does leak a bit from the rocker cover. My mate stripped it all and applied some form of epoxy but it still drips a small amount occasionally which irritates me as a Honda - albeit a 40 year old one should never leak oil! Mine has been MOT exempt since last summer and I believe tax exempt from 1st April. Yes they do use a bit of oil and there's no filter-just a screen under the clutch cover.
I think you can get pattern exhausts but silencers can be a problem although if you're not fussy I think something can be made to fit.
You may know of a British bike place in Redditch which advertises on Ebay and may have something to fit? Motad used to do a 2 into 1 and they turn up occasionally. I managed after waiting about 5 years to get some second hand originals from D & K for not too much money about 7-8 years ago.
Hope this helps.
As for that one in Stafford-would be OK if you can get it cheaply enough but will cost a bit to put back to standard. Mine had a chopped end off the frame under the seat but the PO had the cut off frame section and a mate fabricated a joining piece and welded it all back.

HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

mthee

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 11:33:39 PM »
Here's a pic of his bike against a complete frame. It looks to me like he's only cut the undertray - flush with the end of the frame rails.  Ask him for a pic from the rear to be sure.👍
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared