Author Topic: RE Bullet 500 Classic EFI! What like?  (Read 1076 times)

themoudie

RE Bullet 500 Classic EFI! What like?
« on: March 22, 2022, 01:20:54 AM »
Please may I ask of any current or past owners, what are the RE Bullet 500 Classic EFI like to run and ride?

For A, B, C and U roads, rider 5'6".

Thank you for your time.

Bill

mthee

Re: RE Bullet 500 Classic EFI! What like?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 11:07:14 AM »
I had a good look at these beautiful bikes a few years back and certainly see myself on one when the W650 gets too heavy. In researching, this gent seemed to know his onions and his YouTube channel provided good info, especially in the comments section;

Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »
Morning Bill, I’m obviously not speaking from direct experience as I don’t have one. However you probably remember big bro has one, he loves it. Take it from me following him on it. With decent rider at the helm they can certainly go round corners, most of our rides are now on B & C roads, so we very rarely go above 60’ish but because he’s a smooth rider he doesn’t need to rely on sheer power. He never over revs it, just lets it get to 50/60moh in it’s own time then generally keeps it there.
As far as I’m aware he’s not had any form of complaints with it.
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 08:24:01 PM »
Bill-for a pic of mine see the thread "My RE Continental GT535". Mine wasn't a Classic -the styling is different but the engine and frame are the same I believe.
I rate these bikes very highly. They are fine for most riding and will even do motorways and dual carriageways at a push but are much better on back roads.
I'm a fair bit taller so can't say whether one would suit you but there should be loads in a dealer for a sit on / test ride.
They aren't the lightest and not dimunitive but not overly heavy either.
I didn't do a lot of miles as I have a few other bikes so tend to ride them all if I can.
I don't think the build quality is too bad but I did molly coddle mine as it was a chrome model with tank and mudguards finished in chrome so I polished it and didn't ride it in the rain or in winter.
There are loads of upgraded parts via Hitchcocks-the sky's the limit there as with all models of Enfield.
The EFI was pretty good-no flat spots or stuttering and IMHO they are more modern and user friendly than the earlier models but not so characterful! The brakes work well and I didn't have any reliability problems except vibration killed the rear light and I had to replace it after it fell to pieces !
Martin
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 03:57:55 PM »
I`m a 5`5" short arse, I bought my classic new in 2019 and apart from the petrol tank issue, now replaced with a new one, I have no regrets. More than fast enough for me, 85-90 mpg. Dead easy to put on centre stand. The only thing I have changed is the exhaust system for an upswept but low level one from Hitchpersons. The headlight stays  on when the starter is turned over, there is a headlight cut out available but the one they sent me wasn`t for a model like mine, so far though no battery problems.  The speedometer housed warning lights are really difficult to see, especially the indicators, more powerful bulbs should help (they are in the drawer in the shed) . If I think of anything else good or bad I will post.  In the photo I don`t have bike boots on but I can reach the ground fine.   I love it......
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

mthee

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 08:58:38 PM »
85-90 mpg.

How attractive does that sound right now!

Please see attached for a cheap, easy way to ensure your headlight will not get power whilst cranking. I wired the led headlight on my XBR to come on with the ignition and earthed it as described. Works a treat!

Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

xbally

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 10:23:03 PM »
Both my Continental GT535 and 650 Interceptor are good on fuel ,not quite that good but pretty good and my Bullet Electra 500 used to return nearer 100 mpg IIFC - I only used to plod about on though but impressive MPG nonetheless.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 10:50:28 PM »
93 mpg was the best I managed, trying hard  :D 

Itsme

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 07:15:01 AM »
I had my EFI Classic for a couple of years and in 12 months put just over 20,000 miles on the clock made up of riding roads with grass in the middle, A roads, country roads etc. I rode it slow, fast and everything in between. I did a 300 mile round trip to go and see the Angel of the North with its Christmas hat on and went to the Lakes for a day with my mate coming back at 70+ the whole way as well as a bit of greenlaning. It did it all really well though preferred the 50-60 mph stuff around B roads.

Unfortunately the timing side main bearing failed after all of this, but re-building the motor was easy and with a better quality bearing in should have lasted longer. The motor did seem well engineered and certainly built substantially. The only issue was quality control, some things just didn't seem put together well. For example when I came to put the motor back in the frame it was obvious that the frame hadn't been adequately jig built as it was the devil's own job to get the bolts to line up again.

Would I have another one? Yes I think I would, I miss the torquey, willing motor and the go anywhere nature of the bike. I also miss the feeling that there are things I can do to improve the bike as I like tinkering. I don't even think I would have a problem with the bearings now as I tend to do easier mileage these days and having rebuilt one know that they hold no terrors. The only thing I wouldn't miss is people asking 'is that a real one?'

Spartacian

themoudie

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 09:49:24 PM »
Thank you all for your thoughts, tales and suggestions, please keep them coming. I might take a leap of faith, or even have a shot on a Honda 125 Monkey. However, the price of the latter is  ::) yet 185mpg is good. We have an acquaitance who replaced a RE Himalaya, with a Honda 125 Monkey and once the main dealership "technicians"  ::) ::) ::)  had worked out how to operate the software to reprogramme the fuel injection and replaced the faulty lambda sensor, he has been very pleased with the wee beastie.

Good health, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 01:57:07 PM »
Afternoon Bill, is it the 125 grom you’re thinking about getting? I too am fancying getting one. Think they just look like good fun, something that I feel we could all do with having a little dose of just of late.
Cheers, Michael

CrazyFrog

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 04:36:34 PM »
I've just bought a 2021 CB125F. Small, very light and fine for about 95% of my biking. 180mpg, £22 Road tax - it's cheaper than walking!
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 09:25:49 AM »
Is that as well as the Jawa and Enfield Pete?
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 10:01:27 AM »
Morning Michael,

is it the 125 grom

Yes, to the quoted bit, but as for purchasing, no, the "fleet" is already too big as anything that lies idle just deteriorates and then acts as a "brain worm" on my head! :(

As today looks to be another corker, another canter is in prospect.

"Thank you" to all for the info in the thread, the Bros is going to continue for the time being, but lighter bits of kit may be considered. This years insurance for the Bros, fully comp. and 3,000 miles is £68-00 and the SRX600 Mono a £100-00.  :)

Good health, Bill

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 11:25:42 AM »
What do you have in your fleet ?