Author Topic: Clutch Slip-Not A Thumper But............  (Read 1148 times)

xbally

Clutch Slip-Not A Thumper But............
« on: February 25, 2022, 01:05:08 PM »
On my KZ440 twin- BELT TDRIVE . Oil changed and it's bike spec-so assuming I need new parts-do I need to get both plates and springs to be on the safe side. Bike is 1981 model and 30 odd K miles on the clock but no idea if it's genuine. I haven't adjusted it at the cable yet either so I suppose I should start there. It's a strange design without any adjuster mechanism inside the case.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

Itsme

Re: Clutch Slip-Not A Thumper But............
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 07:26:51 AM »
Hi

After you have adjusted the cable just make sure free-play is correct and nothing is binding. If you still have clutch slip then I think it makes sense to do the springs and plates as it won't cost much for a set of springs, but finding out after you have reassembled everything and put the outer case back on that it still slips is a pain in the arse. Don't ask how I know!

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 08:55:34 AM »
finding out after you have reassembled everything and put the outer case back on that it still slips is a pain in the arse. Don't ask how I know!

Spartacian
How do you know Spartacian? 😉

xbally

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 10:44:27 AM »
Thank you.

Yes I think i'll try adjusting the cable first-you never know.

I've already adjusted it at the handlebar end to ensure there's some free play but it won't hurt to try the other adjuster in the cable as well.

Looks as though I may have to bite the bullet and spend some £s on new springs and plates though.

IIRC I used to have a 1200 Bandit and maybe also an 1100 Zephyr both of which used to slip the clutch under acceleration-but we are talking loads more power and torque than the KZ440. I don't think I replaced the clutch parts on those but that was in the day when I used to mix car and bike oils.

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
finding out after you have reassembled everything and put the outer case back on that it still slips is a pain in the arse. Don't ask how I know!

Spartacian
How do you know Spartacian? 😉

Sorry Michael just seen this. I know from the days when I was running a selection of disreputable CZs on a very tight budget as my young children seemed to whinge if I didn't feed them! I replaced clutch plates and not springs and usually got away with it, except for that one time with a CZ 250 single which was quite a torquey engine. Even taking apart a simple motor like the CZ is a pain when you think you've sorted things and should have done it right first time!

Funny you should ask really.......

Spartacian

xbally

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 08:51:59 PM »
I got the plates and springs and have today drained the oil so all being well I'll finish the job over the weekend. I decided i'd best press on and get this job done as I went to work on the bike on Wednesday and several times wondered whether I would make it to the top of a steep hill.

xbally

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 07:56:55 PM »
That went went well.......(not). Got the clutch cover off eventually after having removed the electronic ignition trigger and advance / retard unit from the end of the crank. Replaced the plates and springs easily enough and fitted a  new gasket but I can't get the clutch cover back on with the actuator arm in the correct orientation .Haynes manual is bloody useless-doesn't seem to cover my 1981/82 model with its apparently different clutch arrangement. Most have the conventional type of adjuster on the opposite (left) side of the clutch (right side) like the KH 250/ 400 I am used to but mine feeds the cable to the right side and attaches to the clutch cover where there's just  a cable adjuster but no other adjustment mechanism except at the lever on the bars. I've looked on You Tube but nothing....... Grrrrrrrrrr!

mthee

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 10:35:49 PM »
Feeling your pain, Martin - which is of little use, I know. Hope you get the solution soon 🤞😬
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

xbally

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 05:38:47 PM »
Thanks Matt.
I'm almost wishing now I'd kept my XBR500 which was a relatively hi miler but very reliable.
I was going to have another look at the KZ after work today but it was so lovely in our summer house (read shed with a glass front in the corner of our small garden)  that I took a few bike mags and promptly fell asleep!

Moto63

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 06:30:12 PM »
Thanks Matt.
I'm almost wishing now I'd kept my XBR500 which was a relatively hi miler but very reliable.
I was going to have another look at the KZ after work today but it was so lovely in our summer house (read shed with a glass front in the corner of our small garden)  that I took a few bike mags and promptly fell asleep!
Good man, now’t wrong with a “power nap” 😴😴

CrazyFrog

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 06:19:22 PM »
I feel your pain! I'm just fitting a new clutch to my Jawa. Half way through dismantling I find I need a 30mm impact socket to take the starter gear and oil pump drive if end of crank. Delay of several days whilst I wait for one in the post. Then, once dismantled, I find I have the wrong friction plates, D'oh..
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

xbally

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 10:00:19 PM »
I've been at work all week and couldn't face going back into the workshop at night...........I don't now work on Fridays so I may have another look at the KZ clutch then or over the weekend-but there again if the weather is good as Michael has already pointed out in the Royal Enfield Conti thread I think i'd prefer to be out riding after the long winter (almost) lay off.

xbally

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 09:07:26 AM »
Well this gets weirder..........The OE Kawasaki workshop manual doesn't seem to show the clutch adjuster assembly which is fitted to my bike? I'm going to have to do more online research. There's a US owners' forum which I might have to join and post a question on.

xbally

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 07:39:59 PM »
Update-should anyone be interested......Had another look at it yesterday-managed to get the clutch cover on with the activation arm in the correct orientation BUT as I put the advance and retard mechanism back on I noticed the oil seal behind it  was looking rather compromised but as I'd put it mostly back together I decided I'd run it up and see if there was an oil leak-might just be lucky.
But in the last 10 days the bike has not been used the battery had gone flat. Charged it up overnight and started it up this morning.....slight oil weep from the seal. Managed to get one today from Cradley Kawasaki who are local to me. A 10 minute trip turned into 2 hours as I hadn't been in for a few years and used to be a regular customer-chatting to the parts and sales guys. It seem Covid has taken its toll.
Anyway I haven't yet fitted the seal as it all has to be dismantled again and I wanted to know whether the clutch was now working. I must confess I wasn't very confident because upon checking the info given by the PO he had said he had already fitted a new clutch and the plates and springs did look new. Good news anyway -clutch does NOT now slip under load but it's all got to come apart to change the oil seal......and I may need a new battery.