Author Topic: Shepherd's rest Meet, Northern Ireland  (Read 1919 times)

Guzziless Steve

Shepherd's rest Meet, Northern Ireland
« on: January 06, 2022, 08:10:45 PM »
We are holding another of our informal Irish Sidecar Owners Club Shindigs in the Shepherd's Rest in the Sperrin Mountains on the weekend of 8th to 10th April (weekend before Easter).  As always, any Thumper Club folk will be made very welcome.  Let me know if you need any more information.
Regards
Steve

Dave#22

Re: Shepherd's rest Meet, Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 08:15:46 PM »
Hi Steve, I'm Guzziless too, I sold the Quota last year.
I'll add the meet to my calendar...it's filling up nicely after a quiet couple of years.
I don't know if we can make it as we're hoping to go to a meet in France later on in April.
Dave.

steveD

• XT660Z Tenere
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 08:15:31 PM »
Yes in my diary, intend to set off Wednesday and head up north to catch a ferry from Stranraer. ;D
If I'm not working I'll be away on my bike camping!

Guzziless Steve

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 04:45:24 PM »
Hi Steve, I'm Guzziless too, I sold the Quota last year.
I'll add the meet to my calendar...it's filling up nicely after a quiet couple of years.
I don't know if we can make it as we're hoping to go to a meet in France later on in April.
Dave.

If you want to bring the camper Dave you will need to book in advance as the campsite is fair filling up.  Yes, I saw the Quota for sale.  Seemed cheap!

Guzziless Steve

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 04:46:16 PM »
Yes in my diary, intend to set off Wednesday and head up north to catch a ferry from Stranraer. ;D

Be great to see you there Steve.  I believe that Mark and the usuall reprobates are coming.

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 05:29:49 PM »
another year i wont get up to the shepherds rest i was looking foward to it too , starting to get back to normal   after a bad bike accident and( a sorry mate didnt see you) hit me 2 weeks ago  broken femur more pins in me  put of action again pissed off a well could have been worse  enjoy the weekend end lads safe biking tommy

Dave#22

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 08:57:00 PM »
........If you want to bring the camper Dave you will need to book in advance as the campsite is fair filling up.  Yes, I saw the Quota for sale.  Seemed cheap!.....

Hi Steve, no camper either, sold that as well and bought an ex Motability (lowered floor with a ramp) Renault Trafic for carrying bikes.
Just looked at Stena from Birkenhead to Belfast, overnight rtn with a cabin...£600 for a minibus or £500 for a car and the Trafic fits inside the max dimensions...rather expensive.
Dave.

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 12:07:16 AM »
Tommy, words fail me. That is cruel.

If I had thrown myself up the road that was one thing, but I remember my indignance at being driven into, side on, by a SIDNSY, breaking my tib and fib. 46 years riding motorcycles, without a broken bone and an unobservant 23 year old lass tries to drive through me!  :( :( :( :( That took a wee while to get the head round.

I hope that the metalwork does it's job and you don't have any infection problems. Keep the leg above the level of your heart, so that the fluid drains. I didn't do enough of that at the start and paid for it with an extended recovery time.

I shall raise a glass to you, but suspect that you might not be able to partake at present. Mend well!

Slainte, Bill

mthee

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 12:26:57 AM »
Sorry to hear about more bad luck, Tommy, after your hands had just healed?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 10:43:35 AM by mthee »
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Guzziless Steve

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2022, 07:52:55 AM »
Don't need to tell me about ferry costs Dave.  Complete rip off.  At least you get get a camper on at the car price if you sail midweek and Nutt Travel will sell you a flexible ticket for about the same price as an economy booked direct with Stena.  Adds a fair bit to my weekends away for sure.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Tommy, hope you heal well.

........If you want to bring the camper Dave you will need to book in advance as the campsite is fair filling up.  Yes, I saw the Quota for sale.  Seemed cheap!.....

Hi Steve, no camper either, sold that as well and bought an ex Motability (lowered floor with a ramp) Renault Trafic for carrying bikes.
Just looked at Stena from Birkenhead to Belfast, overnight rtn with a cabin...£600 for a minibus or £500 for a car and the Trafic fits inside the max dimensions...rather expensive.
Dave.

Dave#22

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 08:57:04 AM »
Bad news Tommy, I think most of us have been there, Pat and I got knocked off the Guzzi a few years back when an idiot in a Passat did a U turn without looking first, the LH cylinder and crash bars did a good job of saving my leg from serious damage, although it was black and blue from the waist down. Pat suffered a broken wrist, but the thing that really pi**ed me off was that the attending copper didn't follow up on witnesses statements, and changed the location of the accident saying that I was in the wrong, but I didn't know that at the time.
The following year, I got a call from an investigating Sergeant wanting to close the case, who came to the house to take another statement and it was only then that I found out the truth of the copper's conduct...I presume money had changed hands or both were members of a secret club and Police action was taken against the driver and copper.
The Passat driver admitted liability to his insurance, so we were paid for injury and damages.

Steve...the Trafic is not a Camper, just bike transport, so Pat phoned the campsite yesterday to book the little shed at the top of the hill, but someone's already nabbed it.
Back to ferry costs...last week I booked a two week trip to France in late April...Plymouth-Roscoff (cabin) and Cherbourg- Portsmouth...£320, with the same vehicle.
I'm still stunned at Stena wanting £600 Birkenhead-Belfast, so we may have to give it a miss.
Last night I got an invite to the Quota Treffen in Czechia in July, although having no Guzzi now, I can take a Suzuki...but I'll have to ride at the back and keep it out of the photos..LOL.
I have a voucher for last years cancelled ferry to Europoort (for the QT2021 in the Ardennes), so that will soften the blow, not priced it yet though.
Keep your chin up Tommy.
Dave.

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »
thanks for the well wishes lads  ,,,,looks like another few months of day time tv and u tube ahead  :) tommy

Dave#22

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 11:58:19 AM »
Hi Steve, ferry booked, see you there Friday.
Dave.

Guzziless Steve

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 08:54:00 AM »
Great to see Dave, Pat and Mr Dalby at the weekend.  Appreciate you all taking the effort and expense to attend and braving the snow on Friday!  Was a great gathering, made all the better by you being there.

Regards
Steve

Dave#22

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 12:36:38 PM »
Steve...you missed out Timbo, Tony and the rest of the Irish lads.
Tim came back on the same boat as us, so came here for breakfast before heading for Bridgnorth.
Dave.