Author Topic: Yellow wires into reg/rec  (Read 751 times)

Itsme

Yellow wires into reg/rec
« on: December 24, 2021, 04:41:47 PM »
Hello all

Once again I must call upon the wisdom of the thumpeteers. I am having to replace my reg/rec as the voltage was spiking to nearly 16 volts. The one I bought is for my model and year but the connectors are different even though the wires are the same colours. There are three yellow wires, a red wire and a black wire. Obviously the black and red are straight forward but how do I know which yellow wire from the reg/rec goes to which yellow wire in the harness? Or does it matter?

If I look at the two regs the yellow wires are inserted into the unit in line from left to right so do I just connect up to the same wires on the harness connections? I have looked at wiring diagrams on the internet but they all seem to show different colours and combinations to mine, also when I look at pictures of different regs they too often have different colours of wire coming from them

Please Santa send a thumpeteer to help me!

Sparacian.

themoudie

Re: Yellow wires into reg/rec
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 05:13:37 PM »
Sparacian,

Year? Make? Model? CC? Image of current wiring set up and image of the replacement rectifier wiring, would be nice, if possible. Ta!

It's the three (3) yellow wires that are causing me distress, not the red and the black. I am assuming that the red, is the live feed to the battery (+) and the black goes to earth (-)?

Make sure your Xmas pud doesn't get cold whilst you are out in the shed!  ;)

Good health, Bill

mthee

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 06:55:08 PM »

With golden nuggets like this, you really should consider getting into the fortune cookie business, Bill!👍😁
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Itsme

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 11:11:50 PM »
Sparacian,

Year? Make? Model? CC? Image of current wiring set up and image of the replacement rectifier wiring, would be nice, if possible. Ta!

It's the three (3) yellow wires that are causing me distress, not the red and the black. I am assuming that the red, is the live feed to the battery (+) and the black goes to earth (-)?

Good health, Bill

Sorry Bill I assumed everyone knows I only have the Mighty Midget which is a 1993 Suzuki GN250. As for images I'm not that clever but the wires into the new reg/rec are in line across it with the black one end then three yellows then the red. The old one has a yellow wire then the red then another yellow then the black and finally the third yellow, once again in line across the unit. The old one has the three yellows all going into one three pin block connector and the black and red into a two pin block connector. The new one has all three yellows and the red going into a four pin block connector and the black separate with a ring terminal on. Hope this helps.

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 12:35:37 AM »
Happy Xmas! ;D

I remember now, "The Mighty Midget", but you know how it is, some Forum members change bikes or hord bikes faster than a nine pin bowling ball knocks down the skittles!  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D

The fact that the black wire on the replacement unit has a ring terminal attached, would confirm to me that it is the earth (-) lead. Therefore I would assume that the red wire is the live (+) feed for the battery, supplying 14v DC at maximum output.

As for the 3 yellow wires, therein lies the conundrum, as I don't know how the alternator coils are wired, but I think it might be 3-phase, rather than the single phase that I am used to.  :-\

Can the beastie run without the battery connected, or does it rely on the battery to supply power to the coil?  :-\

I think it might be best to see if  Rufus/Santa/Spooky drops by on this thread, as he has owned these wee beasties for years and I would hope, know what to do with the 3 yellow wires! I would hate to advise only for the whole sheebang, alternator and new regulator/rectifier to go PHUT in a puff of blue smoke!  :( :( :( :( :(

In the meantime I will see if I can find a GN250 wiring diagram and if it aids diagnosis.

I'm off for some shut eye in sheet alley and then a slice of fried Xmas pudding, bacon, mushrooms and egg, followed by my home made marmalade, wi' butter and toast, all washed down wi' a mug of 'Gunfire', in about 8 to 9 hours time. Happy Xmas!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bill

Itsme

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 08:40:46 AM »
Hi Bill

Thank you for thinking about this anyway. You are correct I believe about the 3 phase thing and definitely right about pos and neg. I read on another forum a similar query and the answer was that it doesn't matter which yellow goes to which but I will defer connecting until I have thought some more about this.

Anyway enjoy your lovely breakfast and when I have a solution I will let you know.

Good health

Ian

Itsme

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »
Hi Bill and interested others

Well I took the plunge and wired the reg/rec according to what I thought was logical; black and red no problem and then the yellows from left to right on the new unit to corresponding yellows on the old unit. Bingo, perfect charging. I am very happy as this means reliability for years to come.

On a slightly different note I bought a cheap Chinese ecu off ebay just for an experiment and it is excellent. It may be an impression rather than based on fact but the Mighty Midget seems to be running better, slightly more responsive and even a bit torquier. Could be a few reasons I suppose but long may it continue.

Being able to buy cheap Chinese parts due to them making a knock off version of the GN250 is a bonus for owning one I have to admit.

Spartacian

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 09:17:25 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :)

Aye Spartacian, pleased to read of your success. Long may they keep you mobile on the Mighty Midget.

Good health, Bill

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 10:50:37 PM »
alternator is 3 phase, so it doesnt matter which wire goes where. thats why they make them all the same colour.