Author Topic: Garage flooring question  (Read 510 times)

mthee

Garage flooring question
« on: November 19, 2021, 05:00:09 PM »
Following a leaking pipe indoors, I will be removing 24m2 of laminate click lock flooring. Can it be relayed and if so, any good for the dusty concrete slab in the garage?
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

themoudie

Re: Garage flooring question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 05:30:18 PM »
Aye mthee,

Can it be relayed?
Yes, if the water hasn't caused the composite board to swell and the tongue and grooves aren't smashed up when dismantling.

Any good for the dusty concrete slab in the garage?
I don't see why not, except that the surface won't stand up to a lot of scuffing, motorcycle stands, tackety boots, etc and may be slippery when wet or oily!  ;)

If I was going to lay some over my garage floor, then I would lay some of the 4mm foil covered insulation boards first and then lay the laminate on top. The insulation board helps take the uneveness out of the concrete and adds to the insulation effect from the concrete slab. I have used this method in the house, on an old un-insulated, but dry, concrete screed floor and it makes a big difference to the house temperature.

Cheers, Bill

mthee

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 07:54:18 PM »
Ta, Bill. The water damage is limited and those boards will be binned, which makes me the only liability in taking it apart and relaying, unless the cunning manufacturers have designed it to fit once only and self-destruct thereafter?!!! That would qualify as a cunning stunt..
I hadn't considered the slippery factor (!) but do have a roll of heavy duty rubber matting under the bikes currently which can be reused.
Might be a job for spring. Could I store the boards in the garage until then or will the tongues swell irreversibly?
I might just be procrastinating over finishing the wiring on the XBR. 🤪

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 11:29:19 PM »
Aye mthee, understand the procrastination with the re-wiring, having dealt with dodgy Ducati and Morini wiring! Honda and Yamaha can also give grief after a few years. But, having rewired the Duke and a Morini K2 completely, make sure you use good materials, crimp and solder the terminals and draw up your wiring diagram/use the factory diagram. Vehicle Wiring Products (VWP) are the company from whom I get my supplies link: Vehicle_Wiring_Products_website

Could I store the boards in the garage until then or will the tongues swell irreversibly?
As long as the garage isn't damp or running with condesation, then you should be OK with the laminate. If there isn't a waterproof membrane under the concrete floor, then you may get condensation problems under the laminate anyway! If you have to, laminate will re-cycle in the wood skip anyway, or try advertising it on Gumtree for "Free uplift"; I have found all sorts of people will happily cart your junk away if they think they are getting "owt for nowt"!

Laying the laminate will make the rewiring more comfortable.  ;)

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 08:05:13 AM »
i have reused interlocking laminate boarding, worked well, but as Bill says ideally you will need to ensure the garage floor is smooth & flat, use some self levelling compound then a coat of bitumastic (approx £50 / 25 ltrs), to ensure it is proofed against rising damp. (unless your garage floor already has a waterproof membrane)
good luck with that

mthee

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 02:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the sound advice, fellas 👍

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 05:37:02 PM »
Afternoon Matt. Yes you can re-lay click laminate floor, I gave my mate a load from a kitchen floor I took up a few years ago and he re-laid it in his garage to great affect. He took my advice at the time and bought the foil covered underlay you can get. Like Steve has mentioned, to help combat any damp that may rise up through the concrete. Best of luck with the project. Once finished we need a photo of the lovely garage floor along with you draped over the XBR like you were on the super dream photo you posted up. 😁😉🤘
Cheers Michael

mthee

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »
Cheers, Michael 👍 Seeing as the missus won't let me have the bikes in the front room, like JOOLZ, I'm having to get his level of comfort this way around 😁 Once the floor's down, the walls and roof will need  insulating, central heating, a toilet and kitchenette installing and I'll be sorted. Trouble is, I'll get back from B&Q with the final few bits and find she's moved my bed in...hang on a tick...is that such a hardship?.....🤔😂

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 11:50:59 AM »
That's thin ice you're skating on there bor!   ::)

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 11:56:54 AM »
What's wrong witha nice bit of Axminster I ask?*

*Other than spending hours looking for dropped nuts......

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 12:22:40 AM »
dropped nuts......

Not in my garage, in these temperatures!😂

Moto63