Author Topic: BREXIT potential UK VAT implications.  (Read 817 times)

themoudie

BREXIT potential UK VAT implications.
« on: January 04, 2021, 09:48:21 PM »
You may wish to read the BBC article for information.  :(

This revised method for collecting VAT on imported goods from the EU that has been agreed as part of the UK-EU Brexit agreement, may cause problems for us UK based owners of continental motorcycles wishing to purchase spare parts from an EU country supplier. It may also affect the ability of spares suppliers in the UK to obtain parts from their suppliers in the EU.

It would also appear that the carriers have already, or will in the near future, be increasing their charges for shipping items from the EU to UK or vice versa.

This is a direct link to the BBC website and their article: Brexit_UK-EU_VAT_charging_changes

I have no professional qualification or interest in this, just an interest as an Italian motorcycle rider.

Good health for 2021 and beyond, Bill

Moto63

Re: BREXIT potential UK VAT implications.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 09:56:16 PM »

I have no professional qualification or interest in this, just an interest as an Italian motorcycle rider.

Good health for 2021 and beyond, Bill
Thanks this Bill, I too will hopefully be an Italian motorcycle rider soon as a lot of the parts of the CCM come over from Italy. I’ll give them a quick email tomorrow just to make sure there’s not going to be any ‘hidden” charges coming my way due to this.
Stay safe over the next few months, that sun will be out, as will we all on our bikes before we know it🤞

Smithy

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 08:31:05 AM »
It is a worrying situation and one that may take some time to figure out. I suppose the big companies like BMW will be included in any trade deal that has been done but it would seem less clear for the small companies. Let us know what CCM say please Michael as that might point in the direction of how this will be handled.

Personally life in the 1940s was much simpler for me as I wasn't born until the 1950s!

Ian

Ian

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:16:31 AM »

I too have no professional link as per Bill's post but I have noticed a sharp price increase on certain things that I was watching on eBay this week. I'm sure we all have our own opinions on the reasons for this but the timing of these seem more than coincidence ??🤔
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:28:03 AM »
Sadly MZ parts suppliers I've been buying off have declined to take my order - something to do with VAT regulations and having to register with the UK Tax Authorities and collect it for them - I may have mixed this up via Google Translate.

There is a warning on eBay re items coming from the EU as well - though I try to avoid the site for parts.

Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

Smithy

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 06:22:54 AM »

I too have no professional link as per Bill's post but I have noticed a sharp price increase on certain things that I was watching on eBay this week. I'm sure we all have our own opinions on the reasons for this but the timing of these seem more than coincidence ??🤔

It's not just me then?!

Ian

JOOLZ

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 10:50:36 AM »
I used to do a lot of trading on ebay buying and selling motorcycle parts, I very seldom bought and sold to non EU members as the duty made it too expensive, so I mostly traded with Europe, it looks like all that is now blown out the window so it will no longer be viable to do any business with EU countries and reduces parts supply to uk only :(

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 12:16:21 PM »
"I used to do a lot of trading on ebay buying and selling motorcycle parts, I very seldom bought and sold to non EU members as the duty made it too expensive, so I mostly traded with Europe, it looks like all that is now blown out the window so it will no longer be viable to do any business with EU countries and reduces parts supply to uk only :("

Thats going to be a bit of a git for those of us running older MZs, BMWs etc :-(
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

Smithy

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 08:05:37 AM »
I noticed recently that Motorworks have slimmed down their offerings of used parts for BMWs, whether this is just because those parts are drying up or there is a wider Brexit agenda I wouldn't know but surely there are enough BMW parts around to keep older R and K series bikes going? I did also notice that neither Motorworks nor Motobins offer new parts for the G310 series so I wonder what is going on there.

Ian

CrazyFrog

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 06:06:21 PM »
I'm hoping a solution to this can be found. It's in nobody's interest for this state of affairs to continue indefinitely...
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 09:43:38 PM »
yes this is messy i have been buying and selling bike bits and pieces for years now mostly to the uk ,i think i have to fill in customs forms now and i am not sure what a uk buyer has to pay on bits they buy and what i duties i would be paying on parts from the uk into ireland  ,plus it makes shows like stafford a problem if you have to pay charges returning from the uk     :-\
tommy