Author Topic: 2021  (Read 1420 times)

mthee

Re: 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2021, 11:20:44 AM »
Best wishes for a full recovery, Tommy 👍 How did it come about, if you don't mind talking about it? Raising a glass to you and everyone here. Matt.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2021, 11:19:19 PM »
thanks ian good to hear you got back on the bike  that's what I want to be able to do and I will ,thanks matt just raising a large glass now 8) I was on the way home from work early November just round the corner from my home and I lost the front end on a deep pile of wet leaves on a  speed ramp I must have ridden over those ramps a million times in all weathers ,42 years riding bikes 15 of those a courier so,im a bit pissed off over losing the bike so easy but it was in the blink of a eye to being on bike then  on the deck  ,
 good news I was on my dominator so it only  needs  handle bars a indicator and a side panel I  have those bits spare  thankfully I was,not on the enfield ,or my gsx or xbr
I hurt my knee (nerve damage) dislocated my right ankle and done some muscle damage  broke my right hand in 4 places and had to get a plate and 9 screws in my left wrist (which is a worry at the moment because they say my wrist may never work the same again) all this a 10mph yes 10,,  anyway new year now and hopefully a vaccine is coming for us all and we can get out and about  safe biking everyone  tommy

mthee

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
Like you say, that's a proper list of proper injuries for 10mph - what bad luck.Keep that glass-raising physio going, Tommy 👍😁
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 12:20:18 PM by mthee »

iansoady

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 10:42:09 AM »
It's amazing how these things catch you out. A few years ago I was on the Suzuki V-strom I had at the time, on a little minor road (see map) near Worcester and came across a shallow ford. No problem I thought and set off across it at about 5 mph. Half way across the bike just slid away from under me - I hadn't touched brakes, steering or throttle. It turned out that the road surface under the water was covered with slimy green algae. There was a chap sitting eating his sandwiches at a picnic table next to the ford and he rushed across to help me pick the bike up - sadly it was so slippery he ended up on his backside as well.

It was a bit of a struggle to get the bike out but we managed in the end at the cost of some gravel rash on the fairing and a snapped off end of the clutch lever. Since then I've been much more cautious about such things. I suspect the algae was caused by fertiliser runoff from the farmland around - I used to live next to a ford in suburban Hall Green and it was never slippery. Flooded yes......

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 11:11:38 AM »

I hurt my knee (nerve damage) dislocated my right ankle and done some muscle damage  broke my right hand in 4 places and had to get a plate and 9 screws in my left wrist (which is a worry at the moment because they say my wrist may never work the same again)  safe biking everyone  tommy
Morning Tommy, that’s why I was stressing the importance of the physio to you in my last post. Please, please don’t under estimate how important the physio is. My left arm has a plate in it that goes from my wrist and goes the full length of my forearm and actually bends around my elbow joint, it’s over a foot long, it has 20 bolts in it in total. My arm was that bad at the time it was touch and go wether it had to be amputated. Fortunately I had a very good surgeon. My physio was absolutely excruciating at the time but I was absolutely determined to get back to “normal” now 5 years later I can use my arm almost like I could before the accident. I also have a smaller plate in my other arm that has 6 bolts in it, they both give my a bit of pain/discomfort on a daily basis but nothing to bad and as my physio told me at the time, after 2 years the restrictions and the bit of discomfort you may get will “feel normal” which they now do. All the very best with your recovery and don’t give up on the idea of getting “back in the saddle “ (there’s that song again😉) you’ll get there👍👍
Cheers, Michael
Ps just as a small footnote. The response and encouragement I got at the time from some of the members on this very forum helped me greatly at the time to stay focused. So i, again would just like to reiterate what I said back then. Thanks to all that chipped in and kept me focused/going through a tough time 👍

mthee

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 12:40:11 PM »
I like the way you've listed your bike's "injuries" before your own - proper biker ! I remember hitting a triangular men at work sign that some numpty had moved into the road outside the pub on a sharp left-hander, as I came home on my Z1000J2. I was sliding down the road thinking how expensive this would be (and it was) when the bike caught up with me and the front wheel slapped me across the back of my head. I was only wearing a Levi denim  (19 years old!) but that took the brunt of the gravel rash añnd nothing broken - sheer luck. Got carted to A&E by concerned witnesses and remember the nurse telling me I had the spottiest back she'd ever seen! Cold comfort as girls had been avoiding me like the.... err....plague, given my matching face!😁

Smithy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
Isn't it silly how low speed crashes can do so much damage. I have crashed at illegal speeds and at old lady speeds and there is no telling the level of damage before the moment of landing. One thing that strikes me from all that has been said is that a determination to get back in the saddle is vital. I know there is a lot of BS spoken about positive thinking but it really does work. Keep your spirits up Tommy, you are in good company here as we do seem to be able to crash bikes very well, but we also seem to bounce back too.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2021, 05:27:18 PM »
Cool looking steed you had there Matt, always liked that model of the Z’s. Used to really like the Z1r.
Never could afford one 😥😥

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2021, 10:13:02 PM »
thanks again for the support and physio advice  lads and , your right mthee just after the accident as I was waiting to go to hospital I was looking over the bike doing a mental check bars are bent yeah have some spare needs indicator no problem there panel cracked yes have a spare ha bikers eh ::) tommy

Rossco500

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 11:20:43 PM »
Hi Folks, a belated Happy New Year to all of you. Sorry to hear about your woes Tommy and fingers crossed you'll make a full and speedy recovery and will be back on two wheels soon. I came off a bicycle at walking pace a year ago (front wheel slid away on a slimy cycle path) and it caused more injury than any of my motorcycle tumbles. Definitely frustrating

Take care everyone and here's hoping for a better 2021

Tony

PS - I also found out the hard way about slippery fords!

mthee

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2021, 11:29:52 AM »
Cool looking steed you had there Matt, always liked that model of the Z’s. Used to really like the Z1r.
Never could afford one 😥😥

She was a beauty! I was actually on the lookout for the Z750 twin at the time (never did get my hands on one) but some kind soul local to me was giving this away and I had the money to insure her 🤑🤯😎