Author Topic: Honda voltage regulator on British bikes  (Read 581 times)

richardeblack

Honda voltage regulator on British bikes
« on: October 21, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »
Hello All,
I am humming and hahing about rebuilding my Bonneville which has a single phase alternator.  I have several Honda regulators and would like to use one.  These are, however, for three phase alternators (XBR) and am not sure if I can use them with the two wire alternator.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Richard.

iansoady

Re: Honda voltage regulator on British bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
I don't think you can. There was however a 3 phase alternator fitted to some later Nortons (and Triumphs?) which may only require a new stator. Alternatively (see what I did there?) Al Osborn and others supply decent regulators. http://www.aoservices.co.uk/
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

richardeblack

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
Thank you for the response.
I have heard from Triumphrat.net forum that I can use the Honda one by just connecting the two alternator wires to any two of the three yellow wires and, providing it is high enough capacity, it will be fine.
I had a look on the AO site and it looks very interesting and I might well use them if the Honda one fails.  I like the idea of their idiot light charge indicator and a couple of other items.  Their regulator is reasonably priced as well if the Honda one doesn't work.
Thanks again for the "alternative" option.  Very amusing.
I will post my results of experimenting if successful (or indeed if not) for other users tempted by the cheap route.
Cheers,
Richard.

mthee

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »
I will post my results of experimenting if successful (or indeed if not) for other users tempted by the cheap route.
Cheers,
Richard.

Free info on a cheap fix? You're a man after my own heart!👍
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared